Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any opinions on Celestion G12L speakers?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any opinions on Celestion G12L speakers?

Although I already own Mesa Boogie and Fender tube amps,I found a great deal and bought a used Marshall VS 8040 that came with a stock G12L. It sounds decent, considering that the amp is not the holy grail of tone - although sounds pretty good with my Mesa Boogie tube pre-amp in front of it. But I'm wondering if another speaker like a Vintage 30, or maybe an Eminence, Jensen, or Weber would be a nice upgrade. I'm not that familiar with the G12L but from what I've read, some people speak highly of them. One thing I'm looking for is clean headroom, so I want a speaker that doesn't break up early like a Greenback. I've read that the G12L is a lower sensitivity and provides less volume than some other speakers, like the V30, but I don't know too much about that aspect. Any thoughts?

I have one of those amps as well. The G12L is a 40 watt 4 ohm speaker. It has a bright tone and a decent amount of headroom. When you crank it the amp will distort more than the speaker.

Comment

The G12-L was the standard speaker in the Marshall Valvestate cabs. They are rated for 35 watts and about 96 db (which is pretty quiet). They came in both 16 and 8 ohms and have a tiny 20 oz magnet.

Not a bad speaker for cheap money, but not really that good either. The bass response is terrible and the high end isn't that bright, which can be a good thing.

Comment

They came in both 16 and 8 ohms and have a tiny 20 oz magnet.

Mine has 4 ohms stamped on the chassis. I never knew that they were rated at 35 watts. I was told 40 and never thought to question it because the amp is 40 watts.

Comment

they suck
          i use to play with this cab at studio
          <div class="signaturecontainer">Gibson Les Paul Custom 1973 (Bare Knuckle Black Dog/The Mule)<br />
          Gibson SG Worn Chrome (Bare Knuckle Riff Raff/Cold Sweat)<br />
          Paul Reed Smith CE-22 (Seymour Duncan Custom Shop El Diablo)<br />
          Hurricane Les Paul Custom (Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat)<br />
          Marshall JMP Lead 1973 (50w, heavily modded)<br />
          Zambelli Hyperdrive 50 <br />
          Jet City JCA20H<br />
          Vox AC4TV8<br />
          Marshall 1960A (MG Music Black Dog x Scumback H75 speakers)</div>

Comment

Working...
          X