so i tried a tech 21 trademeark 10 and a line 6 spider valve

jimwratt

• Members

I tried a Tech 21 trademark amp and a Line 6 spider valve and they both sounded tinny harsh and digital. No tone or soul/feel. There was a Bogner next to them and it sounded great, but not as good as the vintage Marshall Plexi they had selling for $8,000. Solid state sucks only borderline geriatric tube amps and boutique approximations are worth anyone's time.

psych. The spider valve is a really nice amp one you figure out how to work the presence knob. You would probably want to tweak each of the presents with that knob in a given position and go from there. I found that cleans were muddy until I added a bunch more presence, but that distorted/crunch tones were harsh and tiny until I took some away. That is sort of amp 101, but it's more pronounced on this amp, probably because of the nature of the multiplicity of preamp voicings. I had to fiddle with the presence knob each time I changed sounds. But then again, who am I to complain. Changing from one sound to the next on the Line 6 generally involves basically switching preamps. I doubt that any of our favorite tube amps would fare well with changing whole preamps on the fly. Dedicated channels are one thing, but that's not what the Spider Valve is. I think it's a great amp and I, for one, am anxious to hear what they having cooking for the next batch.

As much as I liked the Line 6, the Tech 21 (at a fraction of the size), totally blew the Line 6 out of the water. It had a more 3-dimensional sound to it and the tones were fat and robust. I am seriously gassing for a trademark 10. That amp really captures the best parts of my favorite amps and makes them accessible at low volumes with great connectivity for recording. I'm going to sell my Fender G-Dec and try to find a used trademark 10. It sucks that they've been discontinued and replaced with the 30 watt version (which I'm sure is killer as well). Outside of ebay and craigslist, would anyone know where to find a used trademark 10 on the web?

• Members

when I used to try out guitars at a real nice store, I'd ALWAYS play through this little Tech 21 trademark combo.

it sounded really, really good...and blew away most of the tube amps at "talking" volume, no {censored}.

I'd love to get my hands on one of those...how's their PSA preamp, anyone here own one?

• Members

I have a Trademark 10 and its an awesome little amp. I used it for a recording session a couple of weeks back and it worked great. The guy doing the session wasn't really up to speed when it comes to miking a guitar amp so I used the trademark 10's line out into the board and it was a very nice sound that was easy to record. The line out is the best I've ever used. I keep mine in the car as a backup to my gigging amp.

• Members

i own a trademark 10, tri ac and powerengine 60 and even they kick ass. tonewise, i prefer the trademark 10 and it makes killer practice and recording amp. howver, mostly i'd use the tri ac (which i modded slightly) and powerengine combo for gigging to have channel switching (usually one fender clean and two british/marshall tones). usually a rat and boss sd1 (for for variation/boost) in front of the tri ac followed by and car martin clean boost after for solo boost and finally into the power engine 60 which in most cases would mic with sm57.

they have new sansamp pedals coming out in june which i'd love to try (especially the british, liverpool, and blonde. and hopefully that will lead to newer amp models and maybe an updated tri ac model with the newer sansamp technology.

no digital modeling amp or digital hybrid ive tried (including the spider valve 212 combo) comes close. spidervalve may be an improvement but still far off from all analog fet based modeling. i haven't tried the spider valve head which some on here have stated it kills the combos. if i get a chance i'd try it out.

• Members

Tech 21 stuff in general is very, very good. I've had a Trademark 60 for nearly 10 years and it's never let me down. I also have the Tri AC which is great and one of the original XXL's. All great. I think a huge problem with the Lilne 6 stuff, especially the Spider line, is their power amp and budget speaker combination. Line 6 stuff seams to sound better direct than through their cabs. However, I've heard the POD through a separate power amp and larger/better cab and the tones are cooking.

• Members

I had a TM-60 for several years. It was a great amp for practice and small gigging. I actually ran my POD XT into the effects return and used the XT as a preamp. It was just more flexible this way, but the TM-60 on it's own sounded better. The XLR out to the PA is a great feature and you could get the same tone at the board as you had at the amp.

I want to pick up a TM-10 or 30 again sometime.

• Members

I have a bunch of Tech 21 gear, I actually get an artist endorment:;)

TradeMark 10 (sold it)

TradeMArk 60 - love it!

Power Engine 60 - very handy

PSA1.1 - cool, play it thru the PE60

Midi Moose - use it with the PSA-1.1

Sansamp Classic - the only sansamp to own

XXL

Comptortion

Doubledrive

American woman

As much as I love all my Tech 21 gear I was never really impressed with the TM10. On the other hand the TM60 is one of my favorate SS amps. I use it for rehearsals & gigs. If I need more volume I hook up the Power Engine.:thu:

I do not think of the Tech21 stuff as "modeling". There are analog amps or preamps with a huge amount of tweaking headroom.

• Members

Tech 21 stuff in general is very, very good. I've had a Trademark 60 for nearly 10 years and it's never let me down. I also have the Tri AC which is great and one of the original XXL's. All great. I think a huge problem with the Lilne 6 stuff, especially the Spider line, is their power amp and
budget speaker combination
. Line 6 stuff seams to sound better direct than through their cabs. However, I've heard the POD through a separate power amp and larger/better cab and the tones are cooking.

the SV's come loaded with V30's :cop::cop:

• Members

Good to see the Trademark 10 getting a little respect. It's the only non-tube amp I've ever owned, and while I've bought and sold lots of other amps, that one always ends up staying. My son uses it now, and the tones are not only stellar, you don't have to futz with it for twenty minutes to find 'em.

• Members

i own a trademark 10, tri ac and powerengine 60 and even they kick ass. tonewise, i prefer the trademark 10 and it makes killer practice and recording amp. howver, mostly i'd use the tri ac (which i modded slightly) and powerengine combo for gigging to have channel switching (usually one fender clean and two british/marshall tones). usually a rat and boss sd1 (for for variation/boost) in front of the tri ac followed by and car martin clean boost after for solo boost and finally into the power engine 60 which in most cases would mic with sm57.

they have new sansamp pedals coming out in june which i'd love to try (especially the british, liverpool, and blonde. and hopefully that will lead to newer amp models and maybe an updated tri ac model with the newer sansamp technology.

no digital modeling amp or digital hybrid ive tried (including the spider valve 212 combo) comes close. spidervalve may be an improvement but still far off from all analog fet based modeling. i haven't tried the spider valve head which some on here have stated it kills the combos. if i get a chance i'd try it out.

How did you mod the TRI-A.C.?

• Members

I had a Trademark 10 for about a year and absolutely loved it. I bought the Trademark 300 head due to loving the 10 so much and wanting those sounds in a head, and was drastically disappointed. I couldn't get anything close to the 10's sound out of the 300.

The 10 has beautiful cleans, great mid-gain, and it even sounds great for heavy stuff. The 300 had bland cleans, mid-gain stuff that was "just alright", and the heavy stuff was really hard to nail. Part of this may be the fact that I wasn't using the recommended cab, but there was still a world of difference. I ended up just using it as a power amp for my PODxt Live until I sold it a few months ago.

• Members

I have a Trademark 10 and its an awesome little amp. I used it for a recording session a couple of weeks back and it worked great. The guy doing the session wasn't really up to speed when it comes to miking a guitar amp so I used the trademark 10's line out into the board and it was a very nice sound that was easy to record. The line out is the best I've ever used. I keep mine in the car as a backup to my gigging amp.

Tech 21 are the pioneers and still the leaders in GOOD direct recording.

• Members

I tried a Tech 21 trademark amp and a Line 6 spider valve and they both sounded tinny harsh and digital. No tone or soul/feel. There was a Bogner next to them and it sounded great, but not as good as the vintage Marshall Plexi they had selling for $8,000. Solid state sucks only borderline geriatric tube amps and boutique approximations are worth anyone's time.

psych. The spider valve is a really nice amp one you figure out how to work the presence knob. You would probably want to tweak each of the presents with that knob in a given position and go from there. I found that cleans were muddy until I added a bunch more presence, but that distorted/crunch tones were harsh and tiny until I took some away. That is sort of amp 101, but it's more pronounced on this amp, probably because of the nature of the multiplicity of preamp voicings. I had to fiddle with the presence knob each time I changed sounds. But then again, who am I to complain. Changing from one sound to the next on the Line 6 generally involves basically switching preamps. I doubt that any of our favorite tube amps would fare well with changing whole preamps on the fly. Dedicated channels are one thing, but that's not what the Spider Valve is. I think it's a great amp and I, for one, am anxious to hear what they having cooking for the next batch.

As much as I liked the Line 6, the Tech 21 (at a fraction of the size), totally blew the Line 6 out of the water. It had a more 3-dimensional sound to it and the tones were fat and robust. I am seriously gassing for a trademark 10. That amp really captures the best parts of my favorite amps and makes them accessible at low volumes with great connectivity for recording. I'm going to sell my Fender G-Dec and try to find a used trademark 10. It sucks that they've been discontinued and replaced with the 30 watt version (which I'm sure is killer as well). Outside of ebay and craigslist, would anyone know where to find a used trademark 10 on the web?

ive got one in teh living room, but im going to get a 60 watt power engine for it, sorry!! yeah i thought it was a marshall like knock off at first, until i started playin around with i more!!! i plugged itt into an avatar 412 and the bass really comes alive!!!(hint,hint) good luck!!

• Members

hows the trademark 10 sound with the power engine. im thinking on going this route for band practice very shortly!! post clips? greatly appreciated!!!:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

Archived