Marshall 1960 Vintage cab better than regular 1960 ?

Motorcycle

• Members

I'm currently looking at buying a new Marshall JVM 410 Head with cab. The problem is the clerk is trying to sell me the 1960AV over the less expensive 1960A. He says the 1960AV(Vintage) is a much better cab than the regular 1960A cab. Better speakers etc... Is there a common feeling about this with Marshall experts ? This will be my first Marshall, and having no experience with them I wanted to ask those of you that have.

I'm not clear on what makes it a vintage as opposed to a non-vintage cab.

Would you spend a $100.00 more for the Vintage cab ?

Is one generally considered to be superior to the other or not ?

Any help would be appreciated.

• Members

I'm currently looking at buying a new Marshall JVM 410 Head with cab. The problem is the clerk is trying to sell me the 1960AV over the less expensive 1960A. He says the 1960AV(Vintage) is a much better cab than the regular 1960A cab. Better speakers etc... Is there a common feeling about this with Marshall experts ? This will be my first Marshall, and having no experience with them I wanted to ask those of you that have.

I'm not clear on what makes it a vintage as opposed to a non-vintage cab.

Would you spend a $100.00 more for the Vintage cab ?

Is one generally considered to be superior to the other or not ?

Any help would be appreciated.

The only difference I'm aware of is the speakers. The standard 1960A has g12t75s whereas the 1960AV has Vintage 30's. Just buy whichever sounds better to you.

• Members

I've had both. The only difference are the speakers. I'd pay the extra for the AV cab, it's a better sounding cab due to the speakers...to me at least.

If you want the finest cab Marshall makes, look into a 1960HW. They're expensive but worth it in my book. I've got a 1960BHW and it walks circles around my 1960AV cab. Its got this nice woody warmth to it that my 1960AV lacks, even after swapping the speakers around for kicks. The HW cabs are birch throughout and the 1960 cabs have particle board backs. Makes a difference. I love the Heritage G12H30's in the HW cabs too, they're a perfect match. Of course all this is subjective. Hell, you might prefer the standard 1960A. Honestly, you gotta play through both cabs with that head and see for yourself. Good luck!

• Members

On the AV/BV, just the back panel portion that screws on is particle board. On the A/B, the entire cabinet is.

You can tell definitively through the tears on mine that this is not the case perhaps this is a recent development if this is true, but I'm pretty sure this is not the case.

• Members

I really dont like the 1960A speakers, they dont cut through in a live mix at all. The V30's have a mid spike and are voiced nicer imo, I much prefer them.

Yeah, that's because of the scooped EQ curve of the G12T-75. They have alot of highs and lows and that overpowers the mids of the speaker.

I personally like the 1960AC cabinets. I like Greenback speakers more than G12T-75s and Vintage 30s and that's what the AC/BC cabs have. I don't think Marshall makes the 1960AC/BC cabs anymore.

• Members

Yeah, that's because of the scooped EQ curve of the G12T-75. They have alot of highs and lows and that overpowers the mids of the speaker.

I personally like the 1960AC cabinets. I like Greenback speakers more than G12T-75s and Vintage 30s and that's what the AC/BC cabs have. I don't think Marshall makes the 1960AC/BC cabs anymore.

The Greenback cabs are now the AX/BX series :)

I'm trying to find a way to buy Ansley's AX cab at the ampfest.

• Members

The Greenback cabs are now the AX/BX series
:)

I'm trying to find a way to buy Ansley's AX cab at the ampfest.

Nah, the 1960AC/BC looked like the 1960A line, all black with white piping. The 1960AX/BX look like the old checkerboard grill cloth Marshalls (like my Mojo 4x12:cool:). Marshall was selling them up untill a year or to ago. I owned an older one (early 90's, I think) before my Mojo. I took the speakers out of it and put them in the Mojo.

IMO, my Mojo wipes the floor with the 1960 cabs. The build quality is so much better.

• Members

Nah, the 1960AC/BC looked like the 1960A line, all black with white piping. The 1960AX/BX look like the old checkerboard grill cloth Marshalls (like my Mojo 4x12:cool:). Marshall was selling them up untill a year or to ago. I owned an older one (early 90's, I think) before my Mojo. I took the speakers out of it and put them in the Mojo.

IMO, my Mojo wipes the floor with the 1960 cabs. The build quality is so much better.

Oh I gotcha.

Well I'm glad Ansley has the checkerboard cloth on his, because I think it looks good. :)

• Members

the greenback & V30 cabs sound good toghether.

on it's own the greenback cab doesn't cut as wel as the V30 cab though, and those 25 watt speakers distort sooner then the V30.

• Members

The BV cab also uses plywood construction over fiberboard construction of the standard B cab.

Is that true?? and of course you're only talking about the BACK yes? All 1960Marshall cabs are Ply...apart from the backs as far as I'm aware.

Archived