1/2 watt or less recording amp, one for rock one for metal . .?

Patrick B.

• Members
?

why not.

It's not like all your gain has to come from teh amp...say, a killer ant with a super duper metal pedal in front of it
:o

then you can have any piece of {censored} amp thats quiet enough for recording :o
I think the point of this is to use the amp :poke:

• Members

I really don't understand your post?

Why can't a low watt amp work for recording a "metal" tone?

PM James peters, although I'm not sure he wants to waste his time regarding this subject. I had the same conversation with him a month or so again about his 10 watt wolverine

• Members

You can build a 1/2 watt tube amp for under $200.00 and it has all the gain in the boost mode you can handle. You can get as much as 3 watts with a power tube change, but it's about 1/2 to 3/4 watt as drawn.

This is an AX-84 Design by Doug Hammond
FireflySchematic.jpg

• Members
PM James peters,

No, don't. :D

1/2W for metal? As if that's going to be better somehow than an amp with a good master volume. I don't know where people get the idea that lower headroom = better. Most people actually hate lower headroom for clean sounds or metal sounds. For classic OD, that's where lower headroom can make sense (and even so, definitely not all the time), because of the fact you're usually trying to get less bass (or depth) and more (and flatter) mids.

• Members

You think you want that, but you don't. It is going to be mush-city and the clarity needed for metal and modern rock tones isn't going to be there.

Start at something like 25W, but even that might too low if you'll be gigging with it and you want to stay tight.

• Members
The 1/2 or 1/4 watt is so I can record at low volume levels at home.

Turn the master volume down. :) Good luck getting what you expect in terms of fullness and depth from an amp that's less than 1W for output. If you've already used amps that are very low in output power and you like them for that job, that's one thing. If you've been reading things on forums and stuff and thinking you need to reduce the output power to magically get a great sound at low volume, you may very well be disappointed.

Archived