best solid state...

CorpseTumor

• Members

Ive tried the tube route,its just not gonna happen till i get more money.My budget is 400 dollars for a head and later i will be getting a cab.My main genres are grindcore and led zeppelin/pink floyd type things.i need decent cleans and nice distortion.i tend to jump around genres pretty much.I dont want a combo as the two pieces(cab and head) make it more versatile as i can later get a better head and stick with my cab.Ive been eyeing a ampeg vh140c which is suppose to do some brutal tone and decent cleans.other things ive been looking at are randall rg and a marshall mode four.Of course im willing to go used.What else do you guys recommend?If theres a tube head at that price that meets my specifications please tell me.No peavey 5150 or valveking for me though i dont like both of em.:)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hell yeah!grind to floyd XD.valvetronix looks pretty nice and i tried it and it was nice but idk i have a feeling it wont give me as much gain as i would like in the long run.My cousin has a valvetronix and a schecter damien as his starter rig thanks to me and the forums though XD he got a nice starter rig.

• Members
i cant find any rg100 near where i live.how do any randalls compare to the mighty vh140c?

the valvestates?

no randalls near you?

hm.. well I can't properly tell you what that randall sounds like..but..just try things out :)

see what sounds good to you, buy it. the end :)

also..

for heavier tones...the vox valvetronix XL is more geared for high gain.

• Members
well not that i have seen,guess i do gotta do some amp shopping.can yo uexplain the sound?if yo ucan compare to the vh140 please do.

thats the one my cousin bought the xl series...do they even sell those in head form?

the ampeg vh-140c is a gain monster. dark, and intense...kinda reminds me of Ganondorf :)

you can hear the amp onn suffocation/dying fetus recordings

not sure about the XL as i've never played it.. but it's got great high gain settings....from what i hear.. and it was made...to be a high gain amp.

• Members

the high watts thing is actually one thing ive been considering(as it aint a tube amp) the vh140c really sounds like its it lol.ive researched everything im just trying to see if theres anything else as those things are rare!hmm is the ss150 the same amp?

• Members
the high gain thing is actually one thing ive been considering(as it aint a tube amp) the vh140c really sounds like its it lol.ive researched everything im just trying to see if theres anything else as those things are rare!hmm is the ss150 the same amp?[/QUOTE]

NO.

I have an ampegvh140c I'd be willing to let go for 600 :)

• Members

I've got an old Randall RG80PH and it sounds very good for solid state, very Marshall sounding and can compete volume wise with anything, it sounds great cranked up. Any of the older Randall RG 80's or RG 100's sound great.

• Members
ehh dammn you for teasing me
:D
im joking.must be enjoying that amp.how would you classify the cleans?i mean there decent right?good enough for floyd with some delay and efects thrown in?

the cleans are fantastic, great reverb and chorus.

• Members

well then what do you recommend?i found it hard to find a good tube amp for high gain and decent cleans.

pritchard amps?

Some people are tube snobs and won't accept anything that isn't tube.

Those people are close minded MORONS.

SS can be just as good and better then tube amps.

and tube amps CAN sound {censored}ty+require a hell of a lot of maintenance.

I own both solid state AND tube amps and I definitely prefer my SS gear better.

Archived