Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Be All, End All for why or why NOT YOUR Amp Cuts.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Be All, End All for why or why NOT YOUR Amp Cuts.

FIRSTLY, I BELIEVE THAT ANY AMP, ESPECIALLY TUBE, CAN CUT IF SET RIGHT.

I have been seeing so many of these threads "my amp doesn't cut, help." It is more than just coincidence that most of these amps that apparently don't cut are also the amps that sound REALLY BIG and THICK on their own.

While my opinion is in fact, only an opinion, look at my sig, I have owned and played A LOT high end, high gain amps. I have also played in a band for quite a while now, and played with many guitarists. Also, I have a VERY critical ear when it comes to live guitar tones.

Basically, it is very hard to have an amp that sounds HUGE and cuts through extremely well at the same time. About the only two amps that do it FOR ME are the Cobra and 5150.

You have guys with the rectifiers and uberschalls who are always complaining about their tone being loose and not cutting. The more lowend, and low-mids your amp produces, the less it is going to cut most likely. Comparatively, the less lowend and more midrange and highs you have, the better you will cut, but the thinner you will sound. So, take all these HUGE sounding amps and guess what, they arnt going to slice through the live mix as well as we all would like them too, that's just the way it is kids.

Another "coincidence", look at all the tighter amps out there: Cobra, VHTs, Quickrod, 5150 II, Laney, ENGL, MAKO etc. These amps are all stupid tight, AND have a brighter, more mid voiced tone.

Take the Looser amps out there: Uberschall, Recto, Dragon, etc. they are voiced darker and thicker. yet they dont cut as well as the others.

Basically, to sum things up, its a trade off. its damn hard to have a super tight and cutting amp that sounds super thick at the same time. Like I said, the only amps that I have played that can combine both qualities are the Cobra and the 5150 series amps.

I just want people to know, that there is a trade-off for going too extreme in either direction.

1. A VERY bright amp will usually yield a thinner, more brittle tone.
    and
    2. A VERY dark amp will yield a looser tone that doesn't cut very well.

Amen.
    "Follow your instinct.... It usually takes you home."

Heads:
    Egnater Armageddon
    VHT Deliverance
    Titan Custom 100
    Baron MII 100
    Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
    VHT 100 CL
    Splawn Nitro
    Peavey 6505 & FJA 6505 & 5150 II
    Krank Krankenstein +
    Bogner Uberschall Rev Blue
    Rivera K-Tre'
    Framus Cobra & Dragon
    Ampeg VH-140c
    Engl Savage 120 & Powerball
    Mesa Dual Rectifier
    ESP Guitars

HC References
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/....php?t=2242115

My recto cuts
    MIJ Telecaster | MIM stratocaster | Gibson SG Standard | Hamer Californian 27 fret | Mesa 2 chan Triple Rectifier | Marshal JMP | Marshall DSL100 | Avatar 4x12 with v30s | Peavey 4x12 with Green Berets

www.soundclick.com/sayocean

Originally Posted by cavemanic

a pot smoking ENGL player.....thats pretty much the ingredients for a worthless pile of **************** anyway

Comment

my Quick Rod cuts like a samurai sword on fire.
      Fiddles: Gibson Les Paul Classic
      Warmoth homebuilt Strat
      Xaviere XV-550

Amps: Splawn Quick Rod and matching 2x12
      Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

I want a cobra
        Original Owner Items Inc.
        Your #1 supplier of all things xEDGEx, br00tal, and originally owned maplifiers since 1981
        VP of Back Alley Negotiations (Pimping)

Originally Posted by MONGO!

Black history for 1st graders

Originally Posted by nodachi

despite being horrendously biased, you are absolutely correct. NICEPWNT.

Originally Posted by King Loudness

Nicepwnt, not so nicely, I might add.

Good Deals with: Dimebag11, kdp86, LordOVchaos, K-Bizzle

Comment

I have heard lots of rectos cut through. I watched a guy with a 6505 get drowned out though.
          Originally Posted by thinkpad20

Then why'd you make this thread?

Originally Posted by Stevenexp

Originally Posted by The Scorpion

No, everybody is going to pretend I never made this thread.

Bump.

Comment

I have heard lots of rectos cut through. I watched a guy with a 6505 get drowned out though.

yeah people can really set their amps up for failure live.

Heads:
            Egnater Armageddon
            VHT Deliverance
            Titan Custom 100
            Baron MII 100
            Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
            VHT 100 CL
            Splawn Nitro
            Krank Krankenstein +
            Rivera K-Tre'
            Framus Cobra & Dragon
            Ampeg VH-140c
            Mesa Dual Rectifier
            ESP Guitars

HC References

Comment

any amp can cut. a pod can cut through too if you EQ it correctly. doesn't necessarily mean it will sound good in the process, but it will cut. basically, people are stupid. /end thread

Comment

I'm not sure how you can make a box of bees sound good? enlighten me.
                Originally Posted by thinkpad20

Then why'd you make this thread?

Originally Posted by Stevenexp

Originally Posted by The Scorpion

No, everybody is going to pretend I never made this thread.

Bump.

Comment

Thats because bedroom/basement playing is a whole different ballgame from full band setting in a live environment.
                  Fiddles: Gibson Les Paul Classic
                  Warmoth homebuilt Strat
                  Xaviere XV-550

Amps: Splawn Quick Rod and matching 2x12
                  Laney VC-30112

good dealings with/trade references: MRAAJR, SMASHINGTIME, STRATOSLACKER, MASTERBURRFOOT, BLUPLIRST

Comment

I'm not sure how you can make a box of bees sound good? enlighten me.

if you are in or around minnesota we can meet up and I would be happy to show you!

Heads:
                    Egnater Armageddon
                    VHT Deliverance
                    Titan Custom 100
                    Baron MII 100
                    Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
                    VHT 100 CL
                    Splawn Nitro
                    Krank Krankenstein +
                    Rivera K-Tre'
                    Framus Cobra & Dragon
                    Ampeg VH-140c
                    Mesa Dual Rectifier
                    ESP Guitars

HC References

Comment

wat
                      HOURS

Originally Posted by thegumbootman

I managed to not say the word "****************" until I was 18

In primary school when my friends discovered swearing, I thought "I've never said the f-word before. I'm never going to say it". I wanted to say it when I got older (mostly because my friends would nag me about saying it), but I just didn't want to end the streak of not-saying it

I ended up accidentally saying it to my girlfriend at the time. I said "Someone told me that Ben got with a really fat girl and he titty-****************ed her"

Comment

I have been seeing so many of these threads "my amp doesn't cut, help." It is more than just coincidence that most of these amps that apparently don't cut are also the amps that sound REALLY BIG and THICK on their own.

While my opinion is in fact, only an opinion, look at my sig, I have owned and played A LOT high end, high gain amps. I have also played in a band for quite a while now, and played with many guitarists. Also, I have a VERY critical ear when it comes to live guitar tones.

Basically, it is very hard to have an amp that sounds HUGE and cuts through extremely well at the same time. About the only two amps that do it are the Cobra and 5150.

You have guys with the rectifiers and uberschalls who are always complaining about their tone being loose and not cutting. The more lowend, and low-mids your amp produces, the less it is going to cut most likely. Comparatively, the less lowend and more midrange and highs you have, the better you will cut, but the thinner you will sound. So, take all these HUGE sounding amps and guess what, they arnt going to slice through the live mix as well as we all would like them too, that's just the way it is kids.

Another "coincidence", look at all the tighter amps out there: Cobra, VHTs, Quickrod, 5150 II, Laney, ENGL, MAKO etc. These amps are all stupid tight, AND have a brighter, more mid voiced tone.

Take the Looser amps out there: Uberschall, Recto, Dragon, etc. they are voiced darker and thicker. yet they dont cut as well as the others.

Basically, to sum things up, its a trade off. its damn hard to have a super tight and cutting amp that sounds super thick at the same time. Like I said, the only amps that I have played that can combine both qualities are the Cobra and the 5150 series amps.

I just want people to know, that there is a trade-off for going too extreme in either direction.

and

Amen.

There are a couple of things:

1) NOT ALL amps are created equally

2) Having the right gear, IS a HUGE part of the journey, BUT... knowing what to do with it, is what ends up determining if one ever reaches their tone destination

3) There is NO accounting for taste, and some guys can take the best gear in the world, and their talent is... achieving the WORST possible tone out of it, and then those same guys rave about how great the tone is, all the while saying that it doesn't cut for some "unknown" mysterious reason.

4) KNOWING what equipment it "Actually" takes to get the "right" tone is often NOT known by people.

My $.02

Comment

Thats because bedroom/basement playing is a whole different ballgame from full band setting in a live environment.

Exactly, a lot of people don't understand this.

Heads:
                          Egnater Armageddon
                          VHT Deliverance
                          Titan Custom 100
                          Baron MII 100
                          Marshall JCM 800 2203KK
                          VHT 100 CL
                          Splawn Nitro
                          Krank Krankenstein +
                          Rivera K-Tre'
                          Framus Cobra & Dragon
                          Ampeg VH-140c
                          Mesa Dual Rectifier
                          ESP Guitars

HC References

Comment

Basically, it is very hard to have an amp that sounds HUGE and cuts through extremely well at the same time. About the only two amps that do it are the Cobra and 5150.

and

Amen.

thank you dr phil for being right all the **************************** time and correcting me....my DSL cuts thru just fine without your **************************** advice

please people...play what you think sounds great and dont take the advice of the elite ****************************s who have so called ''owned'' everything say.......

Comment

wait

nevermind
                              Originally Posted by TomVanDeven

**************** off with that. Plexis dont have speed knobs.

Good transactions:
                              OTCMETAL, Hotkarl, Chrisjd, bass n drums, thefyn, Skyhighrocks, bmf5150, JoshuaLogan, mystixboi1, guitarstar81, Tubesteakfortone, Deathmonkey, doublebarrel, vangkm (x2), GYBE!, tri99er, used666, jonesy77777, thesleepless, p-pickers, interiatic_sks, tone7426, jubb, JoshuaTSP, EvilMeow, Faldoe, Conky, nitefly182, t-rey, duderanimous, blitzraptor007, phoenix_crush, sondeladick,Goodhonk, Andermocs

Comment

Working...
                              X