What gauge string if tuning down a whole step?

justcrash

• Moderators

My singer prefers to tune down a whoel step. Begrudgingly, I've accepted this, but I don't want a lot of flub and strings hanging off my neck. What gauge strings do you guys have that tune down and can I get the tension similar to what it is in standard E 440?

• Moderators

What scale is the guitar ? On my Gibson scale guitar I found .011s to be a bit slack, especially when playing in drop C so I use .012s now.

Its a paul. We aren't doing it to be heavy or anything, it's just what he is comfortable with. :idk: So I am leaning towards 11s? What do you guys think? I would like it to play as close to 440 E as possible.

• Members

Its a paul. We aren't doing it to be heavy or anything, it's just what he is comfortable with.
:idk:
So I am leaning towards 11s? What do you guys think? I would like it to play as close to 440 E as possible.

Then yea I'd prolly go with they hybrid 10-52 set if its a Gibson. .011s would definitely feel more slack than you're used to.

• Members

Its a paul. We aren't doing it to be heavy or anything, it's just what he is comfortable with.
So I am leaning towards 11s? What do you guys think? I would like it to play as close to 440 E as possible.

I use 11's for everything from E to D, but for C#-C I need at least 12's, and if it's below open C then 2 gauges up.

• Members

I would would go with 11's at the least. Those still may be too light though, .12's with a plain G might be more up your alley.

• Moderators

Then yea I'd prolly go with they hybrid 10-52 set if its a Gibson. .011s would definitely feel more slack than you're used to.

Really? I would think it wouldbe the opposite. I would be creating more slack so the 11's would have more resistance. Am I looking at it wrong? :(

Archived