Sound city amps

thermionic geek

• Members

Thinking of trading my TSL100 for 120 watt sound city head. Who knows about these things. I am not sure of the model but it's got six 5881s powering it. It has reverb, and the tone controls are active. Its really easy to make it sound {censored}ty but dialed in it sounded great clean. Loud too. Unfortunately thats all it can do. It has none of the slave ins I have seen on other models so using my rack with it probably won't work. I was really looking for a Laney AOR series hundred watt but can't find one. I really liked this so I am considering it.

Tell me what you know about them.

• Members

ill take it if you dont...{censored}ing killer..sounds like a Hiwatt..
and Doug R can make it take your face off if you want it to..

nice an cheap too..usualy around $500-700 in nice shape..
im waiting on my $600 from GWB to get a use HG100..
thats my next big choice..

buy it ..dont wait....i look for them all the time on ebay..

• Members

David gilmour used to use them before he used Hiwatts. Ive read (i think) that the Sound City amps were made by the same company or guy that first started making hiwatt amps. confucious says "some sound city amps to hiwatt as what some traynors are to old fenders"?

Let the corrections (from folks more in the know) than I roll..........

• Members

David gilmour used to use them before he used Hiwatts. Ive read (i think) that the Sound City amps were made by the same company or guy that first started making hiwatt amps. confucious says "some sound city amps to hiwatt as what some traynors are to old fenders"?

Let the corrections (from folks more in the know) than I roll..........

lol wut

Pete Townshend used SC amps after Marshall, and switched to Hiwatt when Sound City refused to do an amp modification them; some employee offered to make basically the same amp but with the customizations Pete wanted; he called the company "Hiwatt"

• Members

lol wut

Pete Townshend used SC amps after Marshall, and switched to Hiwatt when Sound City refused to do an amp modification them; some employee offered to make basically the same amp but with the customizations Pete wanted; he called the company "Hiwatt"

cool story, I never knew that!

• Members
you run a boost or a box of some sort infront.?

there's a master on it.?

The Hiwatts i listened to have masters..and they boosted them..

used a Y-cable as well..

wicked fat...

It's not mine it's just a PC pic. I remember when they came out as new lol. I tried one a few years ago but it was pretty {censored} to be honest , just as I remembered :cry:

• Members

lol wut

Well i Guess i was kinda wrong, before hiwatt Gilmour mainly used Selmer amps, but if you look at the abum art on Umma Gumma there are a few sound city heads in one of the photos as well. Dave Reeves who worked for Sound City created Hiwatt, originally under the name Hylight electronics, like you said at the behest of pete townsend, but still (by the same company OR guy).... sort of what i had said/meant to say anyway.

• Members

How serviceable are they? The tube layout is odd. Biasing seems like it would be costly.

they are extremely easy to service. everything is built on tag strips or turret strips, nothing is hard to get to.

Archived