Ibanez pickup/Dimarzio wiring colour code( RG7420 + Dimarzio Blaze)

Johansolo

• Members

i want to replace the stock pickups in my Ibanez RG7420.

i have a dimarzio Blaze 4 conductor cable and have taken apart the back cover of my ibanez.

is the wiring colour code for the dimarzio the same as the stock pickups?

• Members

I did this with my 7620 and an evo7 a while back, i just followed the wires back and matched them up. Are your pickups stock ibanez ones? Mine were dimarzio wiring already. Guys over at sevenstring.org have all the wiring diagrams and info.

• Members

Dimarzio pickups= Red wire (HOT)

Black and White get soldered together and taped off

Green and Bare go to ground

That is for standard humbucking mode.

I'm sure Dimarzio.com has wiring diagram's

• Members

Dimarzio pickups= Red wire (HOT)

Black and White get soldered together and taped off

Green and Bare go to ground

That is for standard humbucking mode.

I'm sure Dimarzio.com has wiring diagram's

Nope, they don't.. or atleast the ones they had look like they were drawn by a 3 year old.. Email someone at Dimarzio and ask them for a wiring diagram and they'll give you better ones then on the site.

• Members

Nope, they don't.. or atleast the ones they had look like they were drawn by a 3 year old.. Email someone at Dimarzio and ask them for a wiring diagram and they'll give you better ones then on the site.

What are you talking about?

Click on the pickup you want,(basically any will do) and click on the installation tab.. YOu'll see a bunch of wiring diagrams.. :poke:

• Members

yep the pickups in the RG7420 are currently stock...so im assuming ibanez pickups.the stock pickups have the red and white wires (on both pickups) connected to the 5 way pickup switch. cnat really make out where the other wires are connected (and im at work atm) but from what i could see last night both the pickups were connected together in a big ball soldered to the volume pot.

• Members

yep the pickups in the RG7420 are currently stock...so im assuming ibanez pickups.the stock pickups have the red and white wires (on both pickups) connected to the 5 way pickup switch. cnat really make out where the other wires are connected (and im at work atm) but from what i could see last night both the pickups were connected together in a big ball soldered to the volume pot.

OK I have seen those 3 wire IBZ pickups.. The red will replace the Red, and the BLACK/WHITE of the Dimarzio will go where the IBZ White is.. THen you solder Green and Bare to the back of the volume or tone pot..

So Dimarzio / Ibanez

RED / RED

Black&WHite / White

Green&Bare / Bare

• Members

OK I have seen those 3 wire IBZ pickups.. The red will replace the Red, and the BLACK/WHITE of the Dimarzio will go where the IBZ White is.. THen you solder Green and Bare to the back of the volume or tone pot..

So Dimarzio / Ibanez

RED / RED

Black&WHite / White

Green&Bare / Bare

cool...that sounds about right...thanks for that.

yeah i thought the stock pup would have 4 conductor as thats how ive wired up other pickups with the 5way switch(seymour duncans thou)

so i got a bit confuses with this guitar as i couldnt see other wires apart from red/white and one huge bare.

cheers again

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Hey man. Eight years later and I have the same problem. I want to swap the stock pickups with a LiquiFire in the neck and a D Sonic in the bridge but this is my first time attempting a pickup swap so I am not sure how I should wire it all up into the 5-way switch. I know you haven't been on in awhile so I won't get my hopes up but I could really do with the help.

• Members

Pickups don't have standard color codes. You either have to get the color codes from the manufacture or you have to figure them out using a multi meter which will get you half way there and then you use trial and error to get the phasing right.

Its good to have a wiring schematic for the guitar too.

Dimarzio's site is pretty easy to navigate to find the info you need. They have the installation instructions and suggested wiring fro several models of guitars. From there you have to adapt.

The pickups come with an install sheet like this. http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/4Conductor.pdf

And they have diagrams like this. http://www.dimarzio.com/sites/default/files/diagrams/IBZ_DSon.pdf

This is all a competent tech would need to swap pickups out in minutes.

You didn't mention what guitar you have so I have no idea what diagram might be closest or what your current wiring colors might be. If its an Ibanez, I do know they used different wire colors then Dimarzio and they have some different colors between their own pickups.

Since this is your first time swapping pickups, the first thing you learn is to have everything planned out first. You want to know and understand exactly what you want to get done first and how it will be wired because when it comes to actually doing it you'll have your hands full connecting the dots and tracing the real deal and comparing it to a diagram.

If you haven't soldered before there's another hurtle. Do you have an soldering iron? Electronics grade 60/40 rosin core solder? Solder sucker, wire nippers, wire strippers, Needle nose pliers, a multi-meter for checking your work?

Next have you been taught to solder properly? If not you should Google up some videos and do some practicing. There are some simple but very important techniques involved. Tinning the iron tip, heating the connection up before applying solder, applying solder to the heated metal, not to the tip of the iron, heat sinking etc. You don't want to go through all the trouble of installing them only to find out you have a bunch of cold solder joints that fail or are intermittent, or burn through the insulation over heating and short the connections.

My view is every guitarist should be able to do some basic soldering - replacing guitar jacks, plugs, pickups potentiometers etc. You can save yourself allot of anxiety by having a plan then practicing a bit before you exercise that plan. Then if you make a mistake you can back track, find the problem and fix it. Most tough problems in electronics are caused by the person doing the work. We want to minimize those issues by pre planning everything just like you'd plan a trip by looking at a map and getting familiar with the path from point A to point B. That's what your schematics are for.

Get your materials together and post back. We can help you determine if the material you need is going to work.

• Members

Thanks for the response WRGKMC. I am aware of the difference in colour schemes between pickups, it is the problem which I need to sort out because I am not sure what wires in the DiMarzio's are equal to the ones in the stock pickups in my Ibanez R7420.

I have been looking over the wiring schematics quite a bit trying to connect the dots. The thing that is really throwing me off is the difference between the 5 way pickup selector in my guitar and the one that is featured in the DiMarzio schematics. Sadly this is my first attempt so I am lacking the knowledge of a competent tech, haha. That second schematic that you posted there helped a lot though, I hadn't found that one before, thanks.

My guitar is an Ibanez RG 7420 made in the year 2000. So she currently has the stock Ibanez V77 pickups in I believe and a 5 way pickup selector with 8 prongs on it. Do you need any more information?

I do have a solder iron but it has seen a lot of work so I am getting a new one specifically for guitar work because I see myself having a lot of use for it in the future. Aside from that I only don't have the multi-meter and I don't really have much money to spare right now, so if I can get away with not needing one I will be quite thankful.

This will be my first time soldering but my friend is a pro with it (been doing it for years) and he is going to take me through it all and let me butcher some other stuff before I even touch the guitar. I have been looking through some guides as well so that I have a basic idea before I even get into that.

I agree with you whole heartedly there. That is why I have posted on here before I have even got the pickups, I want to make sure I know what I am doing 100% before I attempt anything.

Ummm, I am not certain what you mean there. But I am ordering a 25w solder iron, the 60/40 rosin core solder and I have all of the tools you mentioned above (aside from the solder sucker and multimeter but I will definitely be looking into a solder sucker). The pickups I am replacing are the stock Ibanez V77 pickups and I will be replacing them with a DiMarzio Liquifire 7 in the neck and a DiMarzio D Sonic 7 in the bridge (I will be having the solid line bar facing downwards towards the tremolo bridge).

If you need any more information then let me know. I really appreciate the help, it means a lot and I am glad I came across such a good community.

• Members

Well first off there no reason to use anyone's schematics besides the right one. Ibanez has all their diagrams for stock wiring. I found your guitar in 10 seconds.

All you have to do is print this diagram, the figure out what your replacement pickup color codes are then remark this diagram. Looks like they are using a combination of series parallel options. You best make sure at least one of your new pickups is a 4 conductor. The chart on the bottom left tells you which coils are being activated when the switch is moved.

I will say this is probably not the best guitar to do your first pickup replacement. getting the right wire combinations with the new pickups is tricky because you have to use that pickup code chart at the bottom and there is no coding sequence for the switch so you need to use an ohm Meter to chart out your switch connections (or simply guess)

The bottom pickup is no problem. The red is likely hot, the ground floats and the white is used for series parallel so it has to be grounded through the switch when run parallel.

The top pickup red is likely Hot coil #1, Black = Cold Coil #1 / Green Hot Coil #2 and white is obviously Cold coil #2

I'd find coils #1 and #2 on the new pickup and just give it a blind shot using direct substitution and then see if it functions right. The worst that might happen is it winds up being out of phase with itself or the other pickup and you'd simply need to reverse wires to get rid of it.

http://www2.ibanez.com/support/wiringdiagrams

w00rg7420.gif

• Members

I actually wondered if I should link that for you when I was writing my response. It's great how they had it there, when I swapped the magnets around on the stock pickups I went over all of the wiring to make sure it was all the same. The only thing that I found weird is that the bottom wire in the diagram looks to be leading to the neck side of the pickup selector but it is the bridge pickup. Its probably just me looking at it wrong because I don't understand any of it yet but it was weird to me none the less.

I have been trying to work that out over the last few days in my spare time, its actually the answer I came here to find. My uneducated intuition is leading me to believe that the change in colour between the two makes of pickup isn't that great, my guess is actually that only the green and white have swapped functions, but I'd rather get a proper opinion on it before I started fiddling about, and the original posters on this and on other forums have lead me to believe that for the bottom (bridge) pickup the Red=Red, White=Black+White and Bare=Green+Bare (would I be right in guessing that the Green wire in the DiMarzio would also go to the volume pot for the neck pickup as well as the bridge?). They are both 4 conductor, I believe that most (or all) humbucker pickups are. Like I said above, I find it strange that when you move the pickup selector towards what it says is the neck it is actually moving towards the wires from the bridge pickup. Let me know what you think on that.

I have to agree with you on that one, it is turning out to be a little more difficult than I had previously hopped but I'll get it in the end. You are right there, but from looking at it I can see that only five wires are going from both of the pickups to the selector directly and the green in this seems to be connected to another prong in the selector so I feel like I might be right in guessing that that will be involved with the split selection. I'm afraid that it will be simple guessing, but I am trying to reach an educated guess so it is less guesswork and more of a general idea, haha.

Let me just clear this up, by hot and cold do you mean the two sides of the pickup? So hot coil #1 would be one side of the top bar and cold coil #1 would be the opposite side of the same bar? Sorry but I am really new to this and haven't come across that term before.

If I am to go on your assumption above then if I find the wires for the coils (which I believe you can see in the wiring diagrams) then that should narrow down the options quite significantly right? I am not sure which diagram would be best suited to my situation but the wiring inside of the pickups would be the same. Like you say the worst that can happen is that it goes out of phase, in which I just rewire until it is right. If you could help me out with this a bit more I would really appreciate this.

Archived