Single Rectifier vs Peavey Triple XXX

webstersp

• Members

I have to buy a new amp because I will start jamming with my old band. For my budget (looking for a used amp head) I have to choose between those two amps, at first wanted a Peavey 5150 or 6550 but I can't find any around here (and don't want to buy on ebay).

I use to have a dual rectifier tremoverb head and also had a Peavy 5150. I liked both of them. Any of you tried both? I already have 2 cabs, a mesa with black shadow and a marshall with celestion. I don't sue clean very much but want a distortiontaht can do Hard Rock (Ac/Dc, guns, Van Halen) but also metal (metallica, bulelt for my valentine). I read somewhere taht the triple X had a distortion taht sounded like a cheap pedal....

Please help me make my decision.. Can't try both amps at the same time...

Thanks

• Members

The XXX doesn't have distortion that sounds like a cheap pedal, unless you're playing it at very low volumes. You have to get the cabinet working for it to start showing off. It has a very, very different sound than any flavor of Recto, though. ESPECIALLY the Single Rec, I would say!

There's a "grain" to the distortion of the XXX, and it has the characteristic Peavey grind to the midrange, too. It's a sound all its own, really, but it would be much closer to a 5150/6505 than the Single Rec, for sure, if that's what you're going for.

• Members

IMHO:

Triple XXX > Single Recto X infinite

The Triple XXX has:

-100(120?) watts vs. 50 watts (more headroom)

-3 channels vs 2 channels (more versatility, the modes on the Recto's channels are a joke IMHO)

-Active EQ vs. Passive EQ (more EQ adjustment)

-Serial effects loop vs. Parallel loop (more a personal preference as I use a processor, in which case a parallel loop is inferior to serial)

-Far tighter bass response vs. bigger bass presence (tight bass is crucial to metal IMHO, FWIW, a Aphex Guitar Xciter gave my setup even bigger and tighter bass)

-Lower retail and resale vs. higher price retail and resale (people in general are stricken with headstockitius or in this case, ampbadgeitius)

Ultimately it boils down to tone for most people but I ended up preferring the more neutral mids of the Triple XXX over the lower mids of the Recto, it can more easily cop both sides of the tonal spectrum with it's two distortion channels.(Marshall high mid - crunch channel and Mesa low mid - ultra channel)

While I might give the nod to the Recto in stock form vs. the Triple XXX in stock form in the tonal aspect, both tweaked out I will go with the Triple XXX everytime. Many common gripes of the Triple XXX were solved with either a preamp tube swap, outboard EQing or the right cabinet, of course none of that helps if the person doesn't like the sound anyway or can't tweak an amp to save their life, much less have the patience to tweak.

I've owned the Triple XXX for 5 years now, nearly since it's release FWIW... I've used the amp from everything from church services to metal shows with compliments from other guitarists at almost every gig.(and in some cases shock and awe haha) And I've always wanted to like Rectos, it just doesn't happen for me, so be it. All IMHO...

• Members

Single Rec vs. Peavey?

Whichever one suits you and your style best.

I really get sick of all this "vs." crap.

I do think that people tend to bow down to the temple of Mesa a little too easily, however.

I love the Peavey bashing in this forum. Gotta get over it, Peavey makes some good stuff and some {censored}, too. So does Mesa. The difference is that when you buy a stinker of an amp from Mesa, you will be out thousands of dollars. With Peavey, you are only talking hundreds. Guitarists always complement me on my XXX's tone. Like someone said, tweaking is the key.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

I own both. They're each different. Neither is better than the other (aside from the fx loop). It all boils down to taste.

If you want super tight metal distortion, get the XXX. If you want bone crushing rhythm distortion, get the single rec.

Also, a lot of it depends how well you eq these amps. I think a lot of people have difficulty dialing the xxx, I know I did. A lot of it depends on what cab you actually play it through as well.

For anyone saying that the xxx doesnt even come close, you obviously haven't played the amp enough, or maybe you were playing with a broken amp, or you have no idea how to use an active eq, but the xxx can EASILY hang with single rec any day of the week. There's nothing to even debate there.

Personally, I like them both, and play them simultaneously via tonebone switchbone pedal. These amps compliment each other incredibly well. The Mesa has a bold and defined meatiness to it, like it has something to prove, while the the xxx has a thrashy "I don't give a fu$&" attitude. The Mesa wears a tuxedo, while the Peavey wears jeans with holes in them. Apples and oranges, indeed. Play them together, and you've just created an unstoppable force of destruction.

Archived