Jcm800 with a strat....

surfcat

• Members

Sounds not so good. Great with humbuckers. Any tips for getting good Trower, Hendrix, Srv, etc. out of it? Mine's a 50w 4010 combo with a vintage 30. I've tried different od's-my Traynor Ycv40wr just sounds better with a strat though but I'd love some classic Marshall strat tones.

• Members

Things you can mess around with a strat and have great results-- better than stock Fender pickups. A bass plate on the bridge pickup. Wire your controls Master Volume, Master Tone, Blend, where blend mixes the bridge and neck pickup. I love the sound of my Fralins (with SP43 in the bridge) with the bridge and neck blended. Perfect thick, meaty, but still distinctly strat tone.

• Members

Things you can mess around with a strat and have great results-- better than stock Fender pickups. A bass plate on the bridge pickup. Wire your controls Master Volume, Master Tone, Blend, where blend mixes the bridge and neck pickup. I love the sound of my Fralins (with SP43 in the bridge) with the bridge and neck blended. Perfect thick, meaty, but still distinctly strat tone.

Well, when I say strat, I mean Suhr Classic so it has nice pu's and the blend control. I also have a strat with Texas Specials that I haven't experimented with.

As far as the speaker goes, I'd love greenbacks but it's a 1x12 combo so that's not an option unless I get a 4x12 cab. I do think greenbacks are the best speakers for a Marshall. I'd like to try a G12-65 but they only make the expensive one that's $179 so I'd really have to be sure before dropping that kind of coin on one.

• Members

...and a clean boost. Also, try cranking the master and using your guitar's volume. And lowering your pickups.

I'll mess around some more with that-I have a Fulldrive II that works like a boost in comp-cut. I have read somewhere that Trower tours with a Jcm800 sometimes so there must be some good tones in there. I'm sure he's using a head and 4x12 though. Something about he uses it in the States and a different one in Europe or vice-versa.

• Members

Well, when I say strat, I mean Suhr Classic so it has nice pu's and the blend control. I also have a strat with Texas Specials that I haven't experimented with.

As far as the speaker goes, I'd love greenbacks but it's a 1x12 combo so that's not an option unless I get a 4x12 cab. I do think greenbacks are the best speakers for a Marshall. I'd like to try a G12-65 but they only make the expensive one that's $179 so I'd really have to be sure before dropping that kind of coin on one.

Hrm. Well, I hate the Texas Specials because I find them to be harsh and shrill...

Maybe a Classic Lead 80 (there's a Warehouse version)? They're pretty big, smooth, clean speakers.

• Members

Is it plekd?

• Members

I think mine was before he started using the plek machine. Think that could be the problem?
:)

Nah I was just curious. I would think the Suhr would work fine with any good amp.

I like Trower too and have played some of his tunes over the years. I have a friend that played "Day of the Eagle" through an old Fender Twin once with some kind of OD box and it sounded just like Trower.

• Members

Nah I was just curious. I would think the Suhr would work fine with any good amp.

I like Trower too and have played some of his tunes over the years. I have a friend that played "Day of the Eagle" through an old Fender Twin once with some kind of OD box and it sounded just like Trower.

Yeah, I can get the Traynor sounding more like Trower than the Marshall-it's 6L6 based, so I'm just wondering if it's better suited to strats. I tried some DSL 50's and 100's and didn't like the sound with a strat until I plugged into a greenback loaded cab, then there it was-Hendrix. If I can get that intro to Castles Made of Sand to sound right, then I'm there.

• Members

What I want to know is how do you get a {censored}ty tone with a Strat and a JCM 800? That combination is all about win.
:confused:

i am thinking the same thing; probably a combination of

a) bright cap

b) V30 speaker

c) tweaking with the eyes.

• Members

Here's a picture, it's item #2-

JCM800_input.gif

I would suggest just cutting one end of that cap, close to whe4re it's soldered and leave it hanging there. It's not going to go any where and you may decide at some point that you want to return it to stock.

Here's the skinny on what this cap does- when the preamp gain control is anywhere below all the way up, it is letting treble frequencies bypass the gain control. As you turn down the control instead of all frequencies being attenuated equally, the mids and bass (along with some treble) get turned down but this cap is letting extra treble pass through to be amplified. The result? Thin tones whenever the gain is down from all the way up.

Clip it- I'm sure you'll hear an improvement. Unless of course you normally run the amp with the preamp control maxed out... if that's the case, we'll need to look elsewhere in the circuit for your solution.

gtrguy

Archived