Drum Sequencer for use with Drumkit from Hell Software

bob the dentist

• Members

Alright, so I have Drumkit from Hell, it's installed, working, etc, but i don't really have anything to sequence it with? :freak:

I want something that isn't just like Fruity Loops or whatever, where you just kinda have one beat and you can make it do fills, or you export one beat at a time or something...I want something that I can see the whole song and its drum parts sequenced measure by measure...thus far I've been using Garageband to map out drum parts on its MIDI piano and then play guitar parts over them, and that's pretty much exactly what I want.

Except, you know, for PC. If I had DKFH for Mac this wouldn't be an issue :lol:

Would Guitar Pro work? :poke:

• Members

Alright, so I have Drumkit from Hell, it's installed, working, etc, but i don't really have anything to sequence it with?
:freak:

I want something that isn't just like Fruity Loops or whatever, where you just kinda have one beat and you can make it do fills, or you export one beat at a time or something...I want something that I can see the whole song and its drum parts sequenced measure by measure...thus far I've been using Garageband to map out drum parts on its MIDI piano and then play guitar parts over them, and that's pretty much exactly what I want.

Except, you know, for PC. If I had DKFH for Mac this wouldn't be an issue
:lol:

Would Guitar Pro work? :poke:

Well Cubase is what I use and it's excellent, but Fruityloops can do exactly what you describe as well. I'm guessing you just didn't learn it well enough. You create as many parts as you want in the sequencer, and then string them together and layer them in any way you want with the song composer part. In many ways, FL is the most powerful drum sequencer out there. The only down side is that you can't record audio tracks in it very well. Can can still load it as a VST into another host program and have the best of both worlds though.

• Members

hm. i just like having a whole long thing of the song that I can see instead of seperate drum parts. I change beats and tweak bits in little ways so often that I always figured it would be kinda unwieldy to use Fruity Loops, from what i gathered from using the demo.

....are you stupid?

Obviously you haven't used Fruity Loops enough to understand what it can and can't do.

Left click on the ez drummer channel and click on PIANO ROLL

you can make your beats/phrases INFINITELY long.

• Members

Guitar Pro FTW. That's how I program my stuff. I've been doing it for years (before I even knew anything about drum sequencing, I use to tab out drum parts in it so my old band's drummer could listen to the MIDI). Once you get the hang of it, you can program beats pretty quick.

• Members

I never liked guitar pro for drums, it's very tedious to me.

I'll agree with that.

Also not sure how these people are using GP with the Toontrack samplers. :confused:

Personally I use DFHS in Cubase SX (and hopefully in a week or so I'll be using S2.0 too). The drum editor window took me a little getting used to, having come from a few years sequencing drums in standard notation in a dodgy old MIDI sequencing program. Didn't take long to get the hang of though, and now a few years down the track it's like 2nd nature.

• Members

hm. i just like having a whole long thing of the song that I can see instead of seperate drum parts. I change beats and tweak bits in little ways so often that I always figured it would be kinda unwieldy to use Fruity Loops, from what i gathered from using the demo.

FL is one of the easiest sequencers on the planet and using the piano roll you can go as crazy as you want with your drum tracks.

You can also now record your guitars into FL starting with FL6 I believe. Look for vids on youtube about using FL.

• Members

Any sequencer will do.

I like Albeton live due to the fact that you can have all your different beats setup as "clips" and then trigger them realtime as you play through instead of having to drag and drop, cut and paste, ect.

Reason also works very well and has a ton of other useful features.

-W

• Members

FL is one of the easiest sequencers on the planet and using the piano roll you can go as crazy as you want with your drum tracks.

You can also now record your guitars into FL starting with FL6 I believe. Look for vids on youtube about using FL.

You would need the producer edition, I have it, I love FL for recording.

• Members

Thanks, missed that.

I have FL7 Producer and need to upgrade to 8 since I have the free lifetime upgrade thingie.

I have both Sonar 7 and Logic 8? the most expensive versions of each program and I prefer Fruity Loops to both, easy to use all in one program, no need to go all crazy using twenty different programs to get one song done.

• Members

I have both Sonar 7 and Logic 8? the most expensive versions of each program and I prefer Fruity Loops to both, easy to use all in one program, no need to go all crazy using twenty different programs to get one song done.

Very true, I have Cubase4 Studio and most of the time I am banging on FL to piece together tracks. Much simpler and not as much of a resource hog.

• Members

Very true, I have Cubase4 Studio and most of the time I am banging on FL to piece together tracks. Much simpler and not as much of a resource hog.

Exactly, I use FL for recording and Ableton for live work, and I couldn't be happier.

More complex programs=/=better program.

While fruity loops is easy to use and understand from the get go, it's definitely takes some time to understand everything and use it properly, once you're good with the program, you won't need any other programs.

+ since FL has full VST/VSTi support you could get all the high end plug-ins from pro tools or whatever else, it's fantastic.

• Members

Exactly, I use FL for recording and Ableton for live work, and I couldn't be happier.

More complex programs=/=better program.

While fruity loops is easy to use and understand from the get go, it's definitely takes some time to understand everything and use it properly, once you're good with the program, you won't need any other programs.

+ since FL has full VST/VSTi support you could get all the high end plug-ins from pro tools or whatever else, it's fantastic.

Yup, I run BFD2 through FL no problems :thu:

Archived