Splawn style mod for Peavey Windsor (w/ schematic)

ericwylde

• Members

so.. someone posted a PTP layout of what is supposed to be a Splawn modded Plexi PTP circuit on Sloclone and I found a Peavey Windsor schematic

I wasn't too occupied these days, so I drawn this mod schematic for the interested

windsorsplawnmod.JPG

the Eddie's faces represent points that need to be "JUMPed" :lol:

here's the stock Peavey schematic:

http://rapidshare.com/files/126129029/Peavey_Windsor.pdf.html

yeah, I know... intelectual property blah blah :cop:

I think information is to be shared

I don't have a Windsor and I can't confirm this is a real Splawn mod, but probably something close

hope someone try this

:wave:

• Members

there is supposedly a full layout for a QR floating around as well.. I cant seem to find it anywhere
:cry:

it's probably the same layout

someone posted it as a Quickrod layout, but I never heard of a PTP Quickrod, so I believe it was a Splawn modded Plexi

• Members

pretty cool Eric, are you or your bud going to snag one to try this out, or are the Windsors hard to get there? I'd really like to hear what you think of it if you get it rolling. I miss my Quickrod.
:(

hey man! :wave:

i just bought a gibson sg faded project for very cheap, but spent a lot of money on parts and import taxes (60 {censored}in' percent!! :mad:), so I'm completely broke :cry:

I still plan to pay him to rebuild my little power amp head into a full amp

I was decided to ask for a bogner fish brown channel with a switchable cathode follower (trying to reach a rawer splawn-like tone bypassing the CF), then I changed my mind for a VHT deliverance 60 clone, but now I found the supposed splawn layout, so this is probably what I'm going to ask

I'd buy a windsor to try this mod, but it would cost a lot more to import and that amp is HUGE

my tubeamps power head is tiny like a suhr badger, weights like 25 lbs and it has 2 x 6550

will be a lot cheaper to put 2 extra preamp tubes on it and rebuild it in PCB or PTP (bogner or VHT would require 3 extra preamp tubes, unless we use a FET cathode follower)

• Members

They probably couldn't tell... they even deny THEMSELVES the knowledge!

lol

truth

but would be funny if Scott Splawn himself showed up and said this is all bull{censored}

then it would be definitely the ultimate confirmation :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't know if the the PTP layout some guy posted is authentic and that's why posted the one I drawn as "Splawn style mod"

I don't know if it would sound like a true Splawn, but probably something close, judging by the preamp design

that would be appliable for most Laney stuff too :thu:

• Members

I've got a Windsor I wouldn't mind modding or having modded. I haven't ever worked in an amp, though I do know how to solder and follow a circuit diagram. Seems like kind of a bad idea to get my feet wet by probably {censored}ing up a perfectly fine amp, though :lol:

• Members

If you care about your amp don't try this. There are a few serious mistakes. There are a few cool changes, but there are some dangerous things too. This is not like the Splawns I've seen. The Windsor power amp section is totally different from what Scott is doing. There is way more to the tone of an amp than the schematic.

Jerry

• Members

If you care about your amp don't try this. There are a few serious mistakes. There are a few cool changes, but there are some dangerous things too. This is not like the Splawns I've seen. The Windsor power amp section is totally different from what Scott is doing. There is way more to the tone of an amp than the schematic.

Jerry

thanks, jerry! :thu:

this was based in the layout someone posted on sloclone forum

as i said, i can't confirm this is real :facepalm:

more details, please :D

my next amp will be based on this preamp schem

:wave:

• Members

it's probably the same layout

someone posted it as a Quickrod layout, but I never heard of a PTP Quickrod, so I believe it was a Splawn modded Plexi

does your browser show the full layout? mine only shows part of the board.. and is cut off over towards the bias circuit.. that and it doesnt show a single tube socket on the layout either.

• Members

does your browser show the full layout? mine only shows part of the board.. and is cut off over towards the bias circuit.. that and it doesnt show a single tube socket on the layout either.

hey man

no, it's incomplete too

but you can deduct the preamp part by the leads coming from the tubes and checking some old real marshall layout

there's a schematic that my bandmate draw and posted there :thu:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived