2 Ted Nugent amp questions (70's era)

Goldtopper

• Members

Just 2 simple questions about Ted's amps during the 70's.

The amp he used in the studio was mostly the Brown Deluxe, like this:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/deluxe_brown.html

And the amp he used live was the '61-'63 Twin-Amp which is considered "Blonde era" but had the Brown Tolex:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/twin_blonde.html

And he used the big EV SRO speakers in these, right?

• Members

When I saw him (which was many times in the 70's) he had an array of super twins (six of them I believe) that were all the different flavors of that model . 1 tweed ,1 brown tolex, 1 blonde tolex, 1 blackface, and two silverface. These were all on a matching cabinet that looked like 2 twelves in each ( I have now way of knowing because I didn't take them apart or even touch them , thats just what they looked like) the tweed on a tweed cabinet, the brown tolex on a brown tolex cabinet ect... I have know way of knowing if this was just for show or if all of these were cranked up. I do know that at least two of them were miked. This was his live set up every time I saw him. I was told he also used a Marshall in his live set up with the Amboy Dukes. As far as speakers go could have been anything that Fender used . I do remember seeing silver dust caps like the JBL D120's have.

• Members

When I saw him (which was many times in the 70's) he had an array of super twins (six of them I believe) that were all the different flavors of that model . 1 tweed ,1 brown tolex, 1 blonde tolex, 1 blackface, and two silverface. These were all on a matching cabinet that looked like 2 twelves in each ( I have now way of knowing because I didn't take them apart or even touch them , thats just what they looked like) the tweed on a tweed cabinet, the brown tolex on a brown tolex cabinet ect... I have know way of knowing if this was just for show or if all of these were cranked up. I do know that at least two of them were miked. This was his live set up every time I saw him. I was told he also used a Marshall in his live set up with the Amboy Dukes. As far as speakers go could have been anything that Fender used . I do remember seeing silver cones like the JBL D120's have.

that is so badass, he had 6 super twins and used em like {censored}ing skittles!

• Members

Anyone have the picture on the back cover of the '75 Ted Nugent album? IIRC that shows him in front of his amps.

Here's one promo picture I found that seems to be from around that time, with Blonde (or brown?) Tolex and wheat grilleclothe:

(deleted image - showing stock pic)

The Fender amp field guide lists Super Twins as having black tolex, but as Victory mentions above, did the Super Twins come available in different tolex coverings?

• Members

are these yours.?? sweet !!!!!

i used to use dual showmans..(bf) on top of marshall cabs..

(a smaller version of what he was doing..) ..cool photo.

Maybe I should be posting this in the "over 30" amp forum?
:)

What I'm guessing is that this is
Cat Scratch Fever
(studio)

deluxe_brown_f.jpg

and this is
Double Live Gonzo:

5G8_Twin_Amp_Stack4.JPG

Right?

• Members

No, the picture of the Deluxe is from the Fender Amp Field guide, and those 3 Twin-Amps are actually replicas of a rare version of that amp I found on that website.

It would seem that Ted promo pic I linked to above was now showing a stock "no life 'til metal" graphic, so I edited it out.

Here's the Field Guides pics of the Super Twin reverb

super_twin_reverb_81f.jpg

super_twin_reverb_81r.jpg

Specs:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/super_twin_reverb.html

Yikes! 180W with six 6L6 tubes!

Again, anyone know if these amps were available with alternate Tolex colors?

• Members

How so? More gain/crunch? Darker, less clean?

they have a lot more crunch than a twin, closer to a bassman and since they have a preamp volume and a master volume you can get it to overdrive at lower volumes. But if you keep the preamp volume low and crank the master you get almost infinite clean headroom.

Also the second row of knob to the right is actually a 5-band active eq, very similar to the one used for the Mesa amps but they used pots instead of sliders.

It also has a footswitch for the Reverb and a second EQ for the EQ and volume boost.

so its a completely different amp than the regular twins. I love mine, I am using mostly for the huge clean tone with an a/b box and a Mesa Mark III for overdrive. That's my main rig and it's :love:

• Members

I saw Ted a bunch of times in the 70's and every time I saw him he had a wall of Dual Showman cabs in cream tolex with Fender amps on top, also in cream tolex. I never saw him play anything other than his cream Fenders during the 70's. He would usually have 6 stacks placed in a semi-circle arrangement.

Here's a link to a performance from 1976. That clip has the same backline of amps that I saw at every Ted show in the 70's. Pretty sure those were the Super Twins in this clip.

• Members

Yep, you can see them pretty well at the beginning of this Hibernation clip from that same concert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKjurowjZ4Y

Here's that picture I was talking about from the back of the album used on this Youtube clip. Same blonde tolex backline:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8FQoMXUnGM

Here's 2 clips from 1971 which show him with (I guess) a BF Twin on top of the Showman cab:

• Members

Wait a minute... the Super Twin has the red pilot light on the left side. (regular) Twins always have that light on the right side.

It looks like the light is on the right side of the amps on the Electric Ballroom album back-cover pic. Hard to tell in the 1976 live clips. What do you guys see?

• Members

Yea, when he recorded his 1975 album, he was largely unknown, and he probably didn't get a Fender endorsement deal until '76 or '77 when he was a little more popular.

He seems to have been using this Twin+Showman cabs arrangement since at least '71 as shown by the pics of the BF Twins in those youtube vids. Look here around 2:05:

What I'm curious is if those are really Blonde-era Twins+Showmans in '75, or just the same BF Twins from earlier in the decade with the tolex stripped down to bare wood, like EVH used to do with his Marshall cabs? (Or he simply got them re-covered in blonde tolex?)

Edit: I noticed in the "Survival" youtube clip at 2:05 ('73 pics) one of his Twins has a black grille. Notice that the first amp on the left in the '75 Electric Ballroom pic (back of album) also has a black grille. Could that be the same amp? If so, maybe he got them redone in blonde tolex + wheat grillecloth? (which means they're BlackFace, not brownface era)

• Members

Ted is the man. Great tone in that Youtube clip!
:cool:

I luv the Nooge but that playing and tone sucked horribly. He sure looked cool though if that counts for anything.

Is this vid representative of how he plays live? Maybe just an off night? Songs from the studio kickass but he ruined one of the songs he should have copied closer for live performances. Man he wasn't even close winging it.

Always love his energy though.

Archived