No announcement yet.

2 Ted Nugent amp questions (70's era)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Ted Nugent amp questions (70's era)

Just 2 simple questions about Ted's amps during the 70's.

The amp he used in the studio was mostly the Brown Deluxe, like this:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/deluxe_brown.html

And the amp he used live was the '61-'63 Twin-Amp which is considered "Blonde era" but had the Brown Tolex:

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/twin_blonde.html

And he used the big EV SRO speakers in these, right?

Maybe I should be posting this in the "over 30" amp forum?

What I'm guessing is that this is Cat Scratch Fever (studio)

and this is Double Live Gonzo:

Right?

Comment

Live,I believe he used Dual Showman stacks, but very similar amp. Speakers, I don't know.

Comment

For a brief time he used the Super Twin live.
        Our principal constraints are cultural. During the last two centuries we have known nothing but exponential growth and in parallel we have evolved what amounts to an exponential-growth culture, a culture so heavily dependent upon the continuance of exponential growth for its stability that it is incapable of reckoning with problems of nongrowth.

Comment

When I saw him (which was many times in the 70's) he had an array of super twins (six of them I believe) that were all the different flavors of that model . 1 tweed ,1 brown tolex, 1 blonde tolex, 1 blackface, and two silverface. These were all on a matching cabinet that looked like 2 twelves in each ( I have now way of knowing because I didn't take them apart or even touch them , thats just what they looked like) the tweed on a tweed cabinet, the brown tolex on a brown tolex cabinet ect... I have know way of knowing if this was just for show or if all of these were cranked up. I do know that at least two of them were miked. This was his live set up every time I saw him. I was told he also used a Marshall in his live set up with the Amboy Dukes. As far as speakers go could have been anything that Fender used . I do remember seeing silver dust caps like the JBL D120's have.
          Gear: Fender Bassman RI
          Lexicon Signiture 284
          Fender SRV Strat
          Gibson DC Pro
          Gibson Victory MV II
          Ibanez RG3
          Mesa 50/50 Power amp
          Peavey 60/60 Classic Power amp
          Hughs & Kettner Rotoshpere
          Crybaby 535Q
          Fulltone OCD
          Line 6 DL4
          MXR Dynacomp
          EH Small Clone
          Yamaha RA 200
          A truck load of vintage speakers

Comment

Proof that gear doesn't matter. You can suck through lots of different equipment.
            "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

When I saw him (which was many times in the 70's) he had an array of super twins (six of them I believe) that were all the different flavors of that model . 1 tweed ,1 brown tolex, 1 blonde tolex, 1 blackface, and two silverface. These were all on a matching cabinet that looked like 2 twelves in each ( I have now way of knowing because I didn't take them apart or even touch them , thats just what they looked like) the tweed on a tweed cabinet, the brown tolex on a brown tolex cabinet ect... I have know way of knowing if this was just for show or if all of these were cranked up. I do know that at least two of them were miked. This was his live set up every time I saw him. I was told he also used a Marshall in his live set up with the Amboy Dukes. As far as speakers go could have been anything that Fender used . I do remember seeing silver cones like the JBL D120's have.

that is so badass, he had 6 super twins and used em like ****************ing skittles!
              Check out my clips at: www.soundclick.com/purplenurple

Originally Posted by RockStarBassist

You've pretty much just become my new Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior. And you can sig that.

Originally Posted by richardcouch

mother ****************ing finish 1 mother ****************ing tune

Originally Posted by Murdoch

LAWL

nurp, you could jarsquat a wine barrel if it was filled with gear.

Originally Posted by abecon5

do me now. you are my kind of whore.

avoid at all costs: Jbrazz, Indianscout and Aporcelainsky

Comment

Anyone have the picture on the back cover of the '75 Ted Nugent album? IIRC that shows him in front of his amps.

Here's one promo picture I found that seems to be from around that time, with Blonde (or brown?) Tolex and wheat grilleclothe:

(deleted image - showing stock pic)

The Fender amp field guide lists Super Twins as having black tolex, but as Victory mentions above, did the Super Twins come available in different tolex coverings?

Comment

wrong wrong and wrong.
                  He used Fender Super Twins (180watt) live.

That's correct. I have a '77 Super Twin and it NAILS Ted's tone. They sound different than the regular Twins.
                  http://www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Here's mine:

Comment

are these yours.?? sweet !!!!!
                      i used to use dual showmans..(bf) on top of marshall cabs..
                      (a smaller version of what he was doing..) ..cool photo.

Maybe I should be posting this in the "over 30" amp forum?

What I'm guessing is that this is Cat Scratch Fever (studio)

and this is Double Live Gonzo:

Right?

Comment

No, the picture of the Deluxe is from the Fender Amp Field guide, and those 3 Twin-Amps are actually replicas of a rare version of that amp I found on that website.

It would seem that Ted promo pic I linked to above was now showing a stock "no life 'til metal" graphic, so I edited it out.

Here's the Field Guides pics of the Super Twin reverb

Specs:
                        http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/super_twin_reverb.html

Yikes! 180W with six 6L6 tubes!

Again, anyone know if these amps were available with alternate Tolex colors?

Comment

That's correct. I have a '77 Super Twin and it NAILS Ted's tone. They sound different than the regular Twins.

How so? More gain/crunch? Darker, less clean?

Comment

Found this gem:

However, I vaguely remember that the amps pictured on the back of Ted's first solo record (1975) look like old brown/blonde Twins. Anyone know?

Comment

How so? More gain/crunch? Darker, less clean?

they have a lot more crunch than a twin, closer to a bassman and since they have a preamp volume and a master volume you can get it to overdrive at lower volumes. But if you keep the preamp volume low and crank the master you get almost infinite clean headroom.

Also the second row of knob to the right is actually a 5-band active eq, very similar to the one used for the Mesa amps but they used pots instead of sliders.

It also has a footswitch for the Reverb and a second EQ for the EQ and volume boost.

so its a completely different amp than the regular twins. I love mine, I am using mostly for the huge clean tone with an a/b box and a Mesa Mark III for overdrive. That's my main rig and it's

Comment

Working...
                              X