What amp/s did Adam Jones use on Undertow?

petejt

• Members

I don't think the Diezel VH4 was made/released when Undertow came out, so he couldn't have used it back then.

Was the Undertow guitar tone/s just his non-master volume Marshall Super Bass, the one he keeps in the fridge to preserve its electronic components?

Or did he use another amp? Or another & the Marshall?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im not a Tool fan, but I have always heard the first album was only the Superbass. The second album he added a Dual Recto, and the 3rd he added the Deizels...

Opiate and Undertow were all Superbass.

Aenima started out as a Superbass and a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but Adam wasn't happy with the mix. Billy Howerdel, guitar tech at the time for Tool, makes a phone call to Uwe Salwender in the middle of the night and Uwe brings over a Diezel VH4. The Diezel VH4 was in the mix as well.

Lateralus was a Diezel VH4, the Superbass and a Sunn Beta Lead.

10,000 Days .. I have no idea. I stopped following what he was using here because I didn't really like the album. The guitars sound good though.

• Members

He MAY have used Mesa as well... But I don't know for sure.

His Superbass tone = teh secks

He started to use a Mesa Dual Rectifier sometime after Undertow came out

[YOUTUBE]P7bwAXm4-SY&[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Thanks for the interview video :thu: , sucks though that I can't watch it until I get back on break, since YouTube is blocked at work :mad: .

I really like the Superbass tone, but there's something weird about it when Adam used it on Undertow, something odd in the mix.

I guess maybe it's the Dual Recto that some of you folks have mentioned?

• Members

during the undertow era, adam would use a superbass and mesa 2 channel recto live. ive seen some studio footage from the undertow recording sessions and i think i saw a mesa sitting around. this was right around the time mesa recto's were coming out.

Is that studio footage available on the Internet anywhere?

• Members

Opiate and Undertow were all Superbass.

Aenima started out as a Superbass and a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but Adam wasn't happy with the mix. Billy Howerdel, guitar tech at the time for Tool, makes a phone call to Uwe Salwender in the middle of the night and Uwe brings over a Diezel VH4. The Diezel VH4 was in the mix as well.

Lateralus was a Diezel VH4, the Superbass and a Sunn Beta Lead.

10,000 Days .. I have no idea. I stopped following what he was using here because I didn't really like the album. The guitars sound good though.

Cool, thanks!

For

Archived