Lipstick on a Pig, Bugera mod and tubes

K-Bizzle

• Members

So I spent a little time on the booger today.

First I pulled all the tubes, after doing so I noticed that those UGLY "chrome" grill pieces could be removed.

So I did just that, and I think its a nice improvement. (I actually don't hate looking at it now)

Heres what stock looks like:

BB333XXXX.jpg

And heres after the mod:

bugera002.jpg

A lot simpler and less flashy = better.

So now onto the tone aspects.

I picked up a quad of JJ 6L6GCs this weekend, along with 2 JAN 12AT7s and 3 Tung Sol 12AX7s.

I threw the AX7s in both the crunch and lead channels and the AT7s in the PI and Clean positions.

The JAN AT7 in the clean position with my set up is just too harsh so I swapped it out for the other AX7 (will probably switch it with a 5751 soon).

I'm honestly amazed at the tonal improvement. Seriously the stock tubes were TERRIBLE in comparison. I was surprised at how much this quieted the amp up. (I wasn't even using my gate)

Quick review

Cleans - A little to gainy, but smoother after pulling the AT7 and putting in the AX7. It could still use some warming but with a little knob tweaking I got a decent amount of good tones from it, I only wish it had a gain control. Not my ideal clean but 100% usuable in live situation.

Crunch - WOW. This channel I would say improved the most. Feels a lot tighter and I can actually push the gain without it saturating into mud. Bite and clarity were definitely improved.

Lead - Quieted down quite a bit, and in a good way. Had to EQ it a bit differently, but with a boost I was VERY happy with it. Probably the best channel on the amp, pinches and naturals seems to come out better after the swap. We'll see if it cuts better tomorrow at practice.

I used my C-1+ with TS-808 and framus cab with V30s & G12T75s.

I DO NOT like EMGs with this amp, they just don't mesh well. (at least not my viper)

Anyway I'm very happy I spent the cash on a retube. Improvement to the point where I'll confidently gig it (the confidence being in the tone, reliability is something only time will tell on this one).

Anyway feel free to flame away, I had an awesome amp day.

Made it better looking and improved tone 100% in only a couple hours. So I'm very happy.

• Members

still want a 6260

Haven't played one, but tonally speaking I can recommend this amp without flinching.

In my last band we had a guitarist that played a XXX. I don't know what tubes he was running, but he was playing through a 1960 with a similar pick up set to mine. And I will say without a doubt the Bugera sounds better, maybe its the speakers, maybe he had old tubes, maybe he's just not good at EQing.

This Bugera sounds better without a doubt. Its also WAAAAAYYYYY less noisy.

And I've gotten tones usable for any kind of modern rock. I'm very happy with this thing, think I may try a 6260 if I get a chance. But I'm a 3 channel guy and this does a great job at what I need it for.

• Members

Only recording I ever do isdirect in with modeling.

I think my guitar, amp, cab, and pedal/effect gas is decently suppressed right now. So I may pick up an SM57 and something to record with.

Any suggestions?

I'd really like to get some clips of this thing to show you guys.

looks
much
better IMO man, nice upgrade. Have you gotten a chance to compare it with the 333XL? And yeah, some clips would be great!
:thu:

Thanks, I was thinking about pulling the Bugera logo too. I think it'd look pretty cool that way.

I haven't gotten a change to compare it to a 333XL, however this amp sounds great with 6L6s. And 333XL comes with EL34s, I honestly don't think this amp would sound anywhere near as good with EL34s. American voiced without a doubt.

Plus I have a better gate than the XL and I don't need presence control. I would like to try the voicing options the XL has, but I'm happy with it as is.

• Members

Only recording I ever do isdirect in with modeling.

I think my guitar, amp, cab, and pedal/effect gas is decently suppressed right now. So I may pick up an SM57 and something to record with.

Any suggestions?

I'd really like to get some clips of this thing to show you guys.

Thanks, I was thinking about pulling the Bugera logo too. I think it'd look pretty cool that way.

I haven't gotten a change to compare it to a 333XL, however this amp sounds great with 6L6s. And 333XL comes with EL34s, I honestly don't think this amp would sound anywhere near as good with EL34s. American voiced without a doubt.

Plus I have a better gate than the XL and I don't need presence control. I would like to try the voicing options the XL has, but I'm happy with it as is.

Yeah a sm57 or a audix i5 or even an e609. All good mics. Then get a sound card that records in 24 bit.

• Members

I don't think the logo looks bad at all on there man, looks much better without the plate behind it. Also, now that you mention it, the presence control is something I was wondering about. Does the damping affect the presence at all?

• Members

I don't think the logo looks bad at all on there man, looks much better without the plate behind it. Also, now that you mention it, the presence control is something I was wondering about. Does the damping affect the presence at all?

Honestly I've yet to toy with it. Plans for the week are to try it on the other cab for which its meant (4 V30s rather than the mix) and to throw my rack unit on top and and play with dampening.

• Members

So I spent a little time on the booger today.

First I pulled all the tubes, after doing so I noticed that those UGLY "chrome" grill pieces could be removed.

So I did just that, and I think its a nice improvement. (I actually don't hate looking at it now)

Heres what stock looks like:

BB333XXXX.jpg

And heres after the mod:

bugera002.jpg

A lot simpler and less flashy = better.

So now onto the tone aspects.

I picked up a quad of JJ 6L6GCs this weekend, along with 2 JAN 12AT7s and 3 Tung Sol 12AX7s.

I threw the AX7s in both the crunch and lead channels and the AT7s in the PI and Clean positions.

The JAN AT7 in the clean position with my set up is just too harsh so I swapped it out for the other AX7 (will probably switch it with a 5751 soon).

I'm honestly amazed at the tonal improvement. Seriously the stock tubes were TERRIBLE in comparison. I was surprised at how much this quieted the amp up. (I wasn't even using my gate)

Quick review

Cleans - A little to gainy, but smoother after pulling the AT7 and putting in the AX7. It could still use some warming but with a little knob tweaking I got a decent amount of good tones from it, I only wish it had a gain control. Not my ideal clean but 100% usuable in live situation.

Crunch - WOW. This channel I would say improved the most. Feels a lot tighter and I can actually push the gain without it saturating into mud. Bite and clarity were definitely improved.

Lead - Quieted down quite a bit, and in a good way. Had to EQ it a bit differently, but with a boost I was VERY happy with it. Probably the best channel on the amp, pinches and naturals seems to come out better after the swap. We'll see if it cuts better tomorrow at practice.

I used my C-1+ with TS-808 and framus cab with V30s & G12T75s.

I DO NOT like EMGs with this amp, they just don't mesh well. (at least not my viper)

Anyway I'm very happy I spent the cash on a retube. Improvement to the point where I'll confidently gig it (the confidence being in the tone, reliability is something only time will tell on this one).

Anyway feel free to flame away, I had an awesome amp day.

Made it better looking and improved tone 100% in only a couple hours. So I'm very happy.

Great review!

Nice job on pulling the chrome off. It looks less cheap now.

I see one of those 5150 knockoffs in my future. :thu:

• Members

FAIL.

try the Ruby EL34 BSTR's or TAD 6L6GC's next time. I've used the JJ's 6L6GC's, their KT77's and EL34R's and EL34L's and they all pale in comparison to the rubys and TAD's.

You fail.

TADs are what came stock and I don't like them at all in this amp.

I tried my Winged C EL34s in it this morning, and NO. EL34 FTL in the 333.

The JJs are highly recommended in XXXs and thats why I chose them.

Right now as far as power tubes go I have:

Winged C EL34

Winged C 6L6

TAD 6L6GC

JJ 6L6GC

I haven't tried the C 6L6s in it, but I like them so much in my Randall I'm not even gonna try it. I only tried the EL34s because I was curious and had a bit of time before work today.

• Members

Great review!

Nice job on pulling the chrome off. It looks less cheap now.

I see one of those 5150 knockoffs in my future.
:thu:

Yeah it does, now if I could just do something about those cheap feeling pots and knobs.

Thanks for the hook up man, made this thing sound A LOT better.

I brought it to the Ampfest and left it on the floor next to the Randall jsut in case anyone got curious, no one did. :lol:

• Members

Yeah it does, now if I could just do something about those cheap feeling pots and knobs.

Thanks for the hook up man, made this thing sound A LOT better.

I brought it to the Ampfest and left it on the floor next to the Randall jsut in case anyone got curious, no one did.
:lol:

Actually, me and Scott pulled it out and had a look at it. But you had it tucked away in the corner so I thought something was wrong with it or something. I didn't want to break anything by plugging it in.

• Members

The Pots actually arent very crappy feeling.

If you get a good set of knobs it will make them feel alot less cheap..

On the 62 series all the knobs feel alot stronger from the chicken heads.

Rather than fake plastic crome knobs

• Members

Actually, me and Scott pulled it out and had a look at it. But you had it tucked away in the corner so I thought something was wrong with it or something. I didn't want to break anything by plugging it in.

Nothing wrong other than after looking at the other amps in the room, I expected 0 interest. (and felt a little lame for even bringing it)

should asked, however it sounds much better now than it did then.

• Members

Hey paintkills, you start sanding the ibanez yet?

yup:thu:

i had some trouble getting into the horns, but it still looks better than what i HAD done to it...i still have the filler in the neck and middle single slots, when i have time one day ill get that out..

i didnt even finish it, i just like it the way it is...if i can get pics ill show em..

sorry bizzle, didnt mean to hijack

• Members

Nothing wrong other than after looking at the other amps in the room, I expected 0 interest. (and felt a little lame for even bringing it)

should asked, however it sounds much better now than it did then.

It looked interesting but I didn't want to risk it. Plus, it was about 30 minutes before the end of ampfest so I didn't want to bug you with whatever you were up too.

• Members

It looked interesting but I didn't want to risk it. Plus, it was about 30 minutes before the end of ampfest so I didn't want to bug you with whatever you were up too.

towards the end I was just kind of wandering around listening to people play, considering I'm a crap player in comparison.

Archived