Anyone tried the Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups??

RyGy

• Members

I am thinking about picking up some Suhr Doug Aldrich pickups for my Carvin CT4. Anyone try them?? What do you think?? I have also been looking at Motor City Afwayu Humbuckers. I am going to replace my EMGs, and want something fatter sounding, but with a lot of output.

• Members

You could play nu-metal sludge on a Peavey 6505 dialled in like a buzzy flubby-sounding Recto, and each note will still be articulate and defined.

troof! I tried it!

I just got the installed while I was away at work. It sounds KILLER! Only problem was the wiring for the neck pickup got stuffed up by the guitar tech, so I'm taking my guitar back tomorrow to get it re-done for free. Once it's complete I'll give a fuller report.

• Members

The stock pickups in my guitar were EMG-81s. Although they had a very high output and a good sharp upper mid-spike, they were rather hollow-sounding and didn't take to effects too well. Not enough warmth to them. No SOUL.

I missed the thick chugginess and raw roaring power of my Seymour Duncan Invader which I have in my older guitar (which is now retired for jamming at work in the outback).

After researching and asking for advice, I decided on the very pickups you're asking about. And I definitely don't regret that one bit. :)

• Members

The stock pickups in my guitar were EMG-81s. Although they had a very high output and a good sharp upper mid-spike, they were rather hollow-sounding and didn't take to effects too well. Not enough warmth to them. No SOUL.

I missed the thick chugginess and raw roaring power of my Seymour Duncan Invader which I have in my older guitar (which is now retired for jamming at work in the outback).

After researching and asking for advice, I decided on the very pickups you're asking about. And I definitely don't regret that one bit.
:)

How is the output compared to the EMG 81. I have the 81 in my PRS standard and tried the Blackout and hated it. The Suhr Aldrich has been a leading contender for this guitar. How are they in all mahogany guitars?

• Members

They sound great. I have WCR Ironman pickups in my Ibanez, and they are huge sounding. When I plug in my Carvin it is way too bright, and I can't seem to get it to sound good. I think that the VHT likes passives. Plus at $220 for the pair shipped it is not too bad!!!!

Thanks for all the advice, I think I might do a bit more research, but I am thinking aobut pulling the trigger this afternoon!!!

• Members

How is the output compared to the EMG 81. I have the 81 in my PRS standard and tried the Blackout and hated it. The Suhr Aldrich has been a leading contender for this guitar. How are they in all mahogany guitars?

The output is HUGE, very hot signal. Definitely equals the EMG-81 if not beats it. Yet the signal cleans up nicely when the volume knob is turned down- very responsive. And another thing it has the thick roaring searing tone, rather than just high output.

My guitar is mahogany.

• Members

Im about to pull the trigger and put them in the bridges of my FloydPauls..

I'd do one before doing both. I have em in my Heritage 157(like LP Custom), and I dig em in that guitar, but I dont necessarily love em more than a Duncan Custom or C5, just different. To me, the Aldrich pickups sound a little smoother which is cool.

Did you ever try something else in your Floyd Paul? I remember you not loving the bridge pickup in the black one. Was that a C5 or Custom?

• Members
I'd do one before doing both. I have em in my Heritage 157(like LP Custom), and I dig em in that guitar, but I dont necessarily love em more than a Duncan Custom or C5, just different. To me, the Aldrich pickups sound a little smoother which is cool.

Did you ever try something else in your Floyd Paul? I remember you not loving the bridge pickup in the black one. Was that a C5 or Custom?

C5 Bro and I think that the Aldrich will be a big improvement...

• Members

C5 Bro and I think that the Aldrich will be a big improvement...

Well check it out and see whats up. I generally am a Duncan guy, and I like the Aldrich in the particular guitar that I have it in now. I had a brief encounter with a GMW that was Charvel clone type with the Aldrich and hated it in that guitar. If the Aldrich dont work for ya, I'd try a regular Custom. Always had good experiences with that.

• Members
Well check it out and see whats up. I generally am a Duncan guy, and I like the Aldrich in the particular guitar that I have it in now. I had a brief encounter with a GMW that was Charvel clone type with the Aldrich and hated it in that guitar. If the Aldrich dont work for ya, I'd try a regular Custom. Always had good experiences with that.

Cool deal Danny!!! will do... bro , hurry up and get your {censored} handled so that we can hang alreadly!!!

Archived