Which reverb tank? Help?

JVanDe7

• Members

I just bought an Ampeg Reverberocket reissue 50watt 2x12 combo, and the previous owner said the reverb was sort of "in and out". So I went ahead and opened up the bag and took a peek at the tank so that I could maybe have a backup tank just in case.

It's a long tank, 2 spring. It has a sticker on it that either says 79-214-02 or 79-214-D2, and is stamped with a "BT" logo. I found some accutronics tanks that match but there are many different input/output impedances and I'm not sure which one I need.

I've attached my amps schematic. I've looked at it but can't see anything helpful.

As best as I can tell, I just need an commonly-used Accutronics 4AB3C1B tank? Can anyone confirm?

• Members

After further review, I found the input on the reverb tank is 150 ohm and the output is 2250 ohm. There are stickers located on the inside of the tank. So, I have those measurements and the fact that it is a long tank, 2-spring version. I think I can figure the rest of it out. All that's left to choose is the decay length I think...

• Members

Ordered the Accutronics 4BB3C1B reverb tank. Pretty funny thread here- just talking with myself. Might be useful down the road though, if anyone finds themself needing to replace the tank on their reissue Reverberocket.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hey man,Ive just acquired the same amp with the same number on the tank,I love this amp!!!Ive got the single 12inch speaker reverberocket with the 6l6 tubes and the 12ax7s,,,great tone here for sure,the previous owner had changed the power tubes to 5881s sovteks and the 12ax7s are stamped with a WA after the number,,Ive played plenty of amps over the years,,it looks like a winner for sure!!:thu:gonna try to figure out who makes the speaker for this

• 7 years later...
  • Members

That thread is from 8 years ago and there was no confirmation on whether he actually ever got the proper tank.

The Ampegs used Type "c" for most vintage Ampegs with capacitance driven reverb: http://www.fliptops.net/catalog/p-100453/reverb-tank-type-c-most-vintage-ampegs

The VC30 supposedly uses the same tank. There are a couple of checks I'd advise. Having the tank work and having it work properly are two different things. I bought one recently for a Peavey amp. It works, but the amount of reverb it produces is overwhelming. too much is just as bad as not enough. The vendor is only worried the tank doesn't blow your circuit.

A couple of things you want to check. Measure the length to be sure the tank will fit inside the amp. The Accutronics 4BB3C1B is 17" long. Second remove your tank and make sure its two springs. (while your there, if you have a dead tank, check the wires. Often times a contact wire simply frays and needs resoldering)

Third thing, I usually disconnect the tank and measure the input and output resistances with an ohm meter. This is a static DC resistance measurement not an impedance measurement but its usually close enough to get you a tank with then proper rating.

Archived