Peavey Ultra Plus vs 5150

Awake77

• Members

2 Completely different sounds...the Ultra Plus somewhat resembles the XXX if you've ever played that amp.

It has Lotsa gain on the 2 channels...Rhythm, and Ultra and has dedicated clean channel! :thu:

The gain structure sounds completely different than the 5150.

• Members

If my rockmaster is any indication (it is related, though not the same) then the Ultra Plus is much clearer, tighter, smoother, and versatile. Doesn't have the same kind of brootz as the 5150 though.... I play my 5150 usually. I bet the Ultra Plus is quite similar - very good thrash/technical death metal amp and a great lead amp too.

But I prefer more of a sludgy grindy kind of tone, and the Triple XXX's I've played nor my Rockmaster can really pull that off. Completely different kind of sound. I'm assuming the Ultra Plus is somewhere between the Triple XXX and Rockmaster tonally, but I've never actually played one.

• Members

Thanks for the input. One of the local music shops seems to be getting a steady stream of cool used gear - last week they had a MarkIII, the week before that a Randall RM100. Now the Ultra Plus - I have to say its a bit GAS inducing :)

I'm still kicking myself for selling my 5150II last year - the clips Ive heard of the Ultra/Rockmaster sound 'kinda' similar but smoother/tighter and not as aggressive. Definitely seems like a cool amp....

• Members

I have owned an Ultra Plus, a 5150, a 6505+ and a XXX...Still have the 6505+ and XXX.

I would never have said the Ultra Plus was tighter than the 5150 or 6505+...The tone is more reminiscent of the XXX for sure, but IMO you can hear the similarities between all of the amps to an extent. WHen my band recorded our first CD, I used the Ultra Plus and the 6505+. Miked up and in the mix, they sound VERY similar to me.

I think the XXX and 6505+ have a higher degree of difference then the UP did to the 6505+, but YMMV.

• Members

I picked up an ultra 112 (same voicing as ultra plus), sounds freakin killer...

Looking at this shops used gear inventory, looks like they have an Ultra 410 and 212 in stock as well - are these all pretty much the same pre/power amp as the head in combo form?

How does the Ultra line differ from the Rockmaster preamp?

• Members

How does the Ultra line differ from the Rockmaster preamp?

As I understand it the Rockmaster is essentially the preamp of the Ultra Plus, so the difference would mainly be in the power amp/OT. I could be wrong. Anyway, if it's anything like the Rockmaster then it's a huge bargain for the price.

• Members

As I understand it the Rockmaster is essentially the preamp of the Ultra Plus, so the difference would mainly be in the power amp/OT. I could be wrong. Anyway, if it's anything like the Rockmaster then it's a huge bargain for the price.

Yeah it was researching the Rockmaster pre that got me interested in the Ultra series in the 1st place! I should have never solid my Classic 50/50 power amp it would have been a perfect match for a Rockmaster preamp.

thinkpad - what does the 'FJA Mod' do for the Rockmaster's sound? Can an Ultra head be modded the same way?

• Members

Anyone own one of these?

instAmplifiersAllPeavey_Ultra_Plus_Head-

How does it compare to a 5150 for 'teh brootalz' ? It's essentially the Rockmaster pre in a head right?

i have friend who has one and i go to his shows all the time

they're pretty good, but still would take my 5150II any day. My 5150II just has bit meaner gain and even with all that gain, its more articulate sounding.

never compared it to the original 5150, but id still take the original when it comes to metal tone.

• Members

The Ultra Plus is pretty much a Triple XXX without the high end fizz. It's a great head. I miss mine...
:(

Might make a great amp along with my CarvinV3 then - which can have gobs of high end fizz. I was thinking about picking up something with a clearer, rounder distortion and was eyeing a Mesa Studio until I heard clips of the Rockmaster. Then this Ultra Plus head pops up...

• Members

You all think the Ultra is tighter than a 5150?

Maybe it's my ears but I definately did not get that impression. I've owned a 5150 combo and 4 different Ultras. 2 112s, a 212, and a plus head. I thought the 5150 was tighter and clearer than the Ultras. The Ultras are smoother though and still have tons of gain.

• Members

Maybe it's my ears but I definately did not get that impression. I've owned a 5150 combo and 4 different Ultras. 2 112s, a 212, and a plus head. I thought the 5150 was tighter and clearer than the Ultras. The Ultras are smoother though and still have tons of gain.

Was there any difference in sound/feel between the comobs and the head?

• Members

I think with the right cab and the resonance and EQ set right, its as tight as a 5150.

• Members

I think with the right cab and the resonance and EQ set right, its as tight as a 5150.

What kind of speakers would work best with the Ultra Plus? I have a Legacy 4x12 loaded with Celestion G12m-70's (old school G12T-75's) and its great with the V3...

• Members

I used to have an ultra, and I miss it. It's just different from a 5150. The Ultra is not near as bright sounding as the 5150, but has less gain on tap if that makes sense. The clean and spring reverb on that amp are really good too. You can get some perfect metal tones out of that amp and probably anything else you wanted, if you learn and just mess with them enough. I loved the way the power tubes were in that amp for some reason haha.

They're also ugly as sin.

Archived