pickup wiring issue

Mesa4x12er2

• Members

So I've only had a bridge pickup in my EC-1000 for a while.

Got some PRS pickups and went to wire them both up as my soldering skills are pretty decent and I only get sound from the bridge pickup and it's weak.

I've tried this diagram before and it didn't work the first time but I tried again just to see and still doesn't work.

2h_2v_1t_3w.jpg

Can anyone explain to me what is wrong with this diagram? When I finally got it working before it wasn't like this either.

Or maybe someone could explain to me the purpose of each tap on the pots?

I used PRS black wire for hot, white and braided for ground and taped off the green and red.

This should be so easy but pisses me off everytime. :mad:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm at work so I can't take pics but they are all clean shiny joints. I have grounds running exactly like the pic from the top of each pot.

The reason I ask about the diagram is because in the past expecially the tone knob the connections have been different. For instance the capacitor on the right tab not the middle etc.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the path that actually carries the signal. Is it just the ground? That's the only link the whole way down. And what determines where the capacitor should be? I've seen them strung between two pots, also like in the diagram etc.

I guess I just figure if I understand how it works I have a better chance of not pulling my hair out. :lol:

Thanks for the help

• Members

also, make sure that the wires going to the output jack are correctly placed. On my jack, the hot of the output connects to the medal arm thingie, and the ground does not (that might be confusing depending on your switch)

I just left the jack how it was from my last pickup as it was working before.

• Members

i've been reading up on this quote a bit lately, because i recently completely rewired my Epi LP. One thing i've learned is that there are multiple different ways to wire things together, and they are not right or wrong, just different anc can give you different sounds. The caps and pickup leads can all go to different places (i know this doesn't really help you). Id say, try to post a pic when you can and we can sort things out

• Members

I'm at work so I can't take pics but they are all clean shiny joints. I have grounds running exactly like the pic from the top of each pot.

The reason I ask about the diagram is because in the past expecially the tone knob the connections have been different. For instance the capacitor on the right tab not the middle etc.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the path that actually carries the signal. Is it just the ground? That's the only link the whole way down. And what determines where the capacitor should be? I've seen them strung between two pots, also like in the diagram etc.

I guess I just figure if I understand how it works I have a better chance of not pulling my hair out.
:lol:

Thanks for the help

There is vintage and modern wiring. The difference is usually the placement of the cap. A modern wiring will have the cap between the wiper lug and the ground. The Vintage wiring will have the cap between the volume and tone pots. Take a pic of what you have done and I can help you better.

• Members

What PRS pick ups do you have because as far as I know PRS does not have a green wire on any of them. Just a black, red, white and braid

Tremonti Treble and Bass.

Black red green white braided cable.

I heard the green and red were for coil taps so i taped them off, and that black was hot, white was ground.

It's wired exactly like the picture with nice joint. Maybe I got the pots too hot? :idk:

• Members

stupid question but did you make sure to twist the bare ends of the red and green together and tape them off so they make contact. They need to touch in order to complete the pickup. Black is hot and White is ground so that is correct.

• Members

haha what's up man? You should almost be sober by now. Right?
;)

hahaha yeah man.... that was a fun night ill tell ya. I read through some of my posts - pure comedy.. if you could decipher them :o

Oh I just ordered the peterson strobo rack!!! I cant wait to mess with it.

~Matt

• Members

Yeah I checked the continuity with a multimeter. Now alligator clip what?

Explain yourself sucka!

Clip an alligator clip onto the part behind where you're soldering. It will absorb the heat that would otherwise fry the inside of the part. This comes in handy when you leave the iron on the part too long, as I've been known to do.

You say you checked continuity, but did you check the resistance while turning the pot?

• Members

hahaha yeah man.... that was a fun night ill tell ya. I read through some of my posts - pure comedy.. if you could decipher them
:o

Oh I just ordered the peterson strobo rack!!! I cant wait to mess with it.

~Matt

yeah I could decipher most of it. I guess it takes being able to speak the language to understand it.. and I can haha.

Awesome man. Sucks they are so expensive but they are pretty great. Great for intonations too.

Archived