No announcement yet.

pickup wiring issue

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup wiring issue

So I've only had a bridge pickup in my EC-1000 for a while.

Got some PRS pickups and went to wire them both up as my soldering skills are pretty decent and I only get sound from the bridge pickup and it's weak.

I've tried this diagram before and it didn't work the first time but I tried again just to see and still doesn't work.

Can anyone explain to me what is wrong with this diagram? When I finally got it working before it wasn't like this either.

Or maybe someone could explain to me the purpose of each tap on the pots?

I used PRS black wire for hot, white and braided for ground and taped off the green and red.

This should be so easy but pisses me off everytime.
    GREAT TRANSACTIONS WITH.....---->CLICK HERE

Maybe this will help you.
    http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/I-PRS.html
    Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the diagram, but what if there are 2 independent volumes and one tone split between them?

BTW the neck pickup is just a ground and a hot.

Comment

I know some of you know this stuff pretty good. Come on in and spill your genius.... oke:

Comment

the diagram is all correct. are you sure you wired everything right? are all your solder joints strong clean joints? Are all your ground wires correctly in place? Can you post a picture of your actual guitar cavity?
          Blame it on the Henney...

Comment

also, make sure that the wires going to the output jack are correctly placed. On my jack, the hot of the output connects to the medal arm thingie, and the ground does not (that might be confusing depending on your switch)

Comment

I'm at work so I can't take pics but they are all clean shiny joints. I have grounds running exactly like the pic from the top of each pot.

The reason I ask about the diagram is because in the past expecially the tone knob the connections have been different. For instance the capacitor on the right tab not the middle etc.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the path that actually carries the signal. Is it just the ground? That's the only link the whole way down. And what determines where the capacitor should be? I've seen them strung between two pots, also like in the diagram etc.

I guess I just figure if I understand how it works I have a better chance of not pulling my hair out.

Thanks for the help

Comment

also, make sure that the wires going to the output jack are correctly placed. On my jack, the hot of the output connects to the medal arm thingie, and the ground does not (that might be confusing depending on your switch)

I just left the jack how it was from my last pickup as it was working before.

Comment

i've been reading up on this quote a bit lately, because i recently completely rewired my Epi LP. One thing i've learned is that there are multiple different ways to wire things together, and they are not right or wrong, just different anc can give you different sounds. The caps and pickup leads can all go to different places (i know this doesn't really help you). Id say, try to post a pic when you can and we can sort things out

Comment

I'm at work so I can't take pics but they are all clean shiny joints. I have grounds running exactly like the pic from the top of each pot.

The reason I ask about the diagram is because in the past expecially the tone knob the connections have been different. For instance the capacitor on the right tab not the middle etc.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the path that actually carries the signal. Is it just the ground? That's the only link the whole way down. And what determines where the capacitor should be? I've seen them strung between two pots, also like in the diagram etc.

I guess I just figure if I understand how it works I have a better chance of not pulling my hair out.

Thanks for the help

There is vintage and modern wiring. The difference is usually the placement of the cap. A modern wiring will have the cap between the wiper lug and the ground. The Vintage wiring will have the cap between the volume and tone pots. Take a pic of what you have done and I can help you better.
                    Splawn ProMod (KT88's)
                    Marshall 1960BX (Greenbacks)
                    Gibson Les Paul Studio
                    Epi Les Paul with dirty fingers wired in series/parallel
                    Charvel Model 4
                    POS Kramer
                    Ibanez acoustic
                    1977 Hohner acoustic
                    Ibanez Troubador TA225 Acoustic Amp
                    MXR 108
                    ISP Decimator
                    Cry Baby Wah
                    BBE Green Screamer
                    Home Made Pedal board

Originally Posted by zehn
                    Maybe because the G12T-75 knows it sounds like **************** so it was trying to kill itself

Comment

What PRS pick ups do you have because as far as I know PRS does not have a green wire on any of them. Just a black, red, white and braid
                      ESP SV (overseas model with short horn)
                      ESP (not LTD) Jeff Hanneman sig
                      Jackson KV2 USA select
                      Gibson Les Paul Custom silverburst
                      Gibson Les Paul DC Studio
                      Mesa Boogie MarkIV (stock)
                      Mesa Boogie MarkIV (modded by Mike B.)
                      Mesa Boogie MarkIII blue stripe (R2 Volume Mod)
                      Mesa Boggie Mark IIC+
                      Recto Standard 4x12

Comment

What PRS pick ups do you have because as far as I know PRS does not have a green wire on any of them. Just a black, red, white and braid

Tremonti Treble and Bass.

Black red green white braided cable.

I heard the green and red were for coil taps so i taped them off, and that black was hot, white was ground.

It's wired exactly like the picture with nice joint. Maybe I got the pots too hot?

Comment

stupid question but did you make sure to twist the bare ends of the red and green together and tape them off so they make contact. They need to touch in order to complete the pickup. Black is hot and White is ground so that is correct.
                          ESP SV (overseas model with short horn)
                          ESP (not LTD) Jeff Hanneman sig
                          Jackson KV2 USA select
                          Gibson Les Paul Custom silverburst
                          Gibson Les Paul DC Studio
                          Mesa Boogie MarkIV (stock)
                          Mesa Boogie MarkIV (modded by Mike B.)
                          Mesa Boogie MarkIII blue stripe (R2 Volume Mod)
                          Mesa Boggie Mark IIC+
                          Recto Standard 4x12

Comment

yeah I twisted them together added a little dusting of solder and taped it up.

Comment

here's a pic of my wiring just for fun:

Comment

Working...
                              X