Marshall: Plexi or JMP/JCM800?

Soulcrusher_X

• Members

Been thinking of going through a rig change. I'm looking for something that can get me some tones like Down, the Sword, Mastadon, Sabbath, etc. I'm kinda looking for something that I can clean up with my volume knob and then get nasty with a boost pedal. Which would be better for cleans...err.... decent cleans? They don't have to be sparkling, but something chimey would be nice.

I'm thinking that a Plexi version would be better off than a JMP or 800, but I don't know if a 50 watt or 100 watt would be better or if I should look for a Superlead or a Superbass. What's the main difference between the Lead and Bass versions?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you probably want a mid-70s Superlead (that's the JMPs, but they're still called Superleads up until the JCM800s come out), and a serious boost.

a more recent Laney might get you where you want as well, since one of the guys in Mastodon uses them, as well as Iommi since, well, forever.

• Members

Are you looking for click of a button clean? Or roll off the volume clean? Even with a good boost/od/dist/fuzz Plexis and JMPs benefit from being CRANKED so you'll have to roll your volume on the guit back to get a clean sound, it isn't the best bit it works well and the roar you get when you roll that volume back up will put a smile on your face.

But if you're looking for something where you can hit a pedal and get a clean sound look at the others suggestions such as Laney or a DSL and such.

• Members

I forgot about the Laneys. I should probably look for one of those. Iommi used the Supergroup for a long time as well as Oranges.

As far as cleans, I don't mind using the guitar volume to roll of the grit. I would use a boost for the heavy stuff, though. Maybe a TS9 or a SD1 or something.

I figure maybe a 50 watt Superbass or Superlead with my Greenback cab or G12H-30 cab would be sweet with a good boost.

• Members

I forgot about the Laneys. I should probably look for one of those. Iommi used the Supergroup for a long time as well as Oranges.

As far as cleans, I don't mind using the guitar volume to roll of the grit. I would use a boost for the heavy stuff, though. Maybe a TS9 or a SD1 or something.

I figure maybe a 50 watt Superbass or Superlead with my Greenback cab or G12H-30 cab would be sweet with a good boost.

Iommi never used oranges. Superbass or Superlead? Only if youve got lots of tolerance for volume or a ppimv. Laneys are probably the most unsung amps out there though.

• Members

JMPs and Plexis are clean amps. That means they dont have any distortion. They break up and get dirty when you crank them, but I cant imagine you or anyone around you will have the tolerance for a cranked JMP. The great thing about them is that they LOVE pedals. I cant imagine using anything else.

JCM 800s on the other hand do have a built in gain control. You will still need a boost to get the tones you are looking for. Down recorded their first album and their newest with JCM 800s. They are also their main touring amp(second album tour and overseas on this tour they used Randalls)

You will love either amp, but as some folks have said, dont overlook the DSL. It can get you there without a boost and right now , you can get them for a really good price.

• Members

the last Down album was mostly boosted jcm 800 and a bogner (they didn't mention which model, but I suppose it was a Shiva)

I've read they were using a Quickrod live, but with fake headshells with a german weird thing written on them

"Riffengirsch" or something

but I think the Quickrod is too articulated and focused to do their tone

a JCM with some bright cap and gain mods will probably get you closer

by the way, when are you going to sell me the gunmetal gray les paul? :D

I still dream about her :cry:

• Members

Iommi never used oranges. Superbass or Superlead? Only if youve got lots of tolerance for volume or a ppimv. Laneys are probably the most unsung amps out there though.

I've seen an old Sabbath video floating around on youtube somewhere and ALL of the amps on stage were Oranges, Iommi and Geezer both had two.

• Members

JMPs and Plexis are clean amps. That means they dont have any distortion. They break up and get dirty when you crank them, but I cant imagine you or anyone around you will have the tolerance for a cranked JMP. The great thing about them is that they LOVE pedals. I cant imagine using anything else.

JCM 800s on the other hand do have a built in gain control. You will still need a boost to get the tones you are looking for. Down recorded their first album and their newest with JCM 800s. They are also their main touring amp(second album tour and overseas on this tour they used Randalls)

You will love either amp, but as some folks have said, dont overlook the DSL. It can get you there without a boost and right now , you can get them for a really good price.

there are master volume 2203/4 model jmps as well

• Members

The reason I am looking into the Plexis, JMPs and 800s is that I am going to build one of my own. I just can't decide which one. I do plan on using a pedal with whatever one I decide on, so this is going to be one of those times where I don't mind tinkering with stuff.

• Members

I can't decide if that guitar is ugly as sin or alright looking, it looks WAY too clean though. ESP?

Got the pic off a site called Jay's Guitars or something like that, but it looks like a Custom job.

[YOUTUBE]nCPv8ZLTNtQ[/YOUTUBE]

He's playing a SG in this one (I think it's like a '62 LP Special based on the controls, but then again, I'm no expert).

I can't tell what kind of amp though.

The tone is:love:

• Members

the last Down album was mostly boosted jcm 800 and a bogner (they didn't mention which model, but I suppose it was a Shiva)

I've read they were using a Quickrod live, but with fake headshells with a german weird thing written on them

"Riffengirsch" or something

but I think the Quickrod is too articulated and focused to do their tone

a JCM with some bright cap and gain mods will probably get you closer

by the way, when are you going to sell me the gunmetal gray les paul?
:D
I still dream about her
:cry:

I had a Splawn Quickrod and a Competition at one point, but they ARE too articulate and focused to get that sludgy kind of tone.

And sorry....the gray LP Custom stays with me. ;)

• Members

I've seen an old Sabbath video floating around on youtube somewhere and ALL of the amps on stage were Oranges, Iommi and Geezer both had two.

Yes and thats the only place youll ever them using them. It was for a tv show and they had to use the tv shows house gear, which was orange. iommi was a professed orange hater.

Archived