OT: Recovering deleted files

twistofcain

• Members

last june i had a bit of a fight with my computer after installing itunes and well... i deleted my entire user account on my computer, including the files on it.

is there any program i can use to recover these files? theres a certain song i wanna listen to and i can't find it anywhere... but i had it before my big episode.

• Members

There's a program called PhotoRec that does a pretty decent job of recovering files, although I believe you need an operating system to run it. PhotoRec's free, but it's also pretty simple and I don't think it recovers file names. There's another program--the name of which eludes me right now--that does the same thing, only it's not freeware, and it does a better job of recovering files.

Here's what I would do:

1) Download an .ISO of Knoppix Linux and run it off the live CD--you should be able to access whatever's left of your files if you try that.

2) Post your question on a computer forum--it's highly likely you'll get better help there than you will here.

Good luck!

• Members

I accidentally deleted a bunch graphics I did... paid a guy 160 dollars to recover them. He went through and got EVERY thing on my drive and put it on 8 DVDs. Embarrassingly, he of course saw all my pron. He kinda looked at me differently when I came to pick it up.:facepalm::arg:

• Members

I accidentally deleted a bunch graphics I did... paid a guy 160 dollars to recover them. He went through and got EVERY thing on my drive and put it on 8 DVDs. Embarrassingly, he of course saw all my pron. He kinda looked at me differently when I came to pick it up.
:facepalm:
:arg:

LLLOOOLLL :lol: Oh well, you'll never see him again :idk:

• Members

lol at the people that pay for a data recovery. If it's overwritten it's gone. The end.

The only companies that charge 1k+ for a recovery are with drives that are physically {censored}ed.

You need to download some software. That's how other places will do it.

There are a bunch out there.

One I like a lot is called Final Data.

Archived