Peavey Rockmaster & Classic 60/60 P-amp

charveldan

• Members

I just got my old rockmaster & a Peavey 60/60 power amp back in a trade,I've been playing a modded 100 watt head for the last 2 years.

I really like the peavey rig and got a real nice trade, some say its a "can of bees" but I can get killer gain, sustain, and feedback, I a/b-d' it to my 100 watt which sounds better ,seems like the rockmaster lacks some upper mids & depth.

Whats your opinion???:cop:

• Members

Well, not to open a can of bees (pun intended), and I only ran mine through a Carvin TS-100, but it DID lack the depth and character of a tube head. I liked the tone of it, but I went back to a 1x12 combo, so, it wasn't like I didn't like it, but I think I know what you mean.

I know the rack vs. head thing is an old tired discussion, so, grain of salt.

• Members
Well, not to open a can of bees (pun intended), and I only ran mine through a Carvin TS-100, but it DID lack the depth and character of a tube head. I liked the tone of it, but I went back to a 1x12 combo, so, it wasn't like I didn't like it, but I think I know what you mean.

I know the rack vs. head thing is an old tired discussion, so, grain of salt.

Right on, sorry if I was confusing.:thu:

• Members

To get mine to sound meaty I don't pull the gain knob though I do pull the mid knob, and I run a graphic eq pedal between the Rockmaster and the Classic 120 power amp I'm using. Then I have the gain up to full and use a tubescreamer to give it a little more kick. Also, having the post-gain up higher will fill out the sound, though I only keep mine at about 1/2 to at least somewhat balance out with the clean channel (which I almost never use anyway).

To my ears it sounds a little more on the British-y side of distortion that way. Otherwise it just sounds like what you described and sort of solid state-like, which might be very good for keeping detuned metal sounding tight.

• Members

Yeah; I don't think I know anyone who pulls the gain knob... if they do they probably just don't know better
:cop:

I do :cop:

For me the pre-gain treble it adds is really important, pushed in it sounds very muffled and weak. I can see how this wouldnt be good for other people's playing however.

Then again, i've never been sure it really works right with the gain in anyway.

• Members

UPDATE>>>> I found a spare quad of 6L6WXT's I had and threw em in the 60/60 power-amp....quite a bit difference, it's alot thicker & more dynamic, I can hear the upper register detail & clairity of the NOS Mullards in the rig, a definet plus, still gonna get some winged =C='s after X-mas.

I'm pretty sure it is ,but does anyone know for sure if the Peavey 60/60 stereo power-amp is a true class "AB" push/pull amp?:idea:

• Members

yes, it's class AB push pull.

there's no adjustment for the bias, but in general the peaveys are biased so cold that most tubes will work without hurting anything. If you have a bias pot added to it so you can adjust it it might sound a little better.

You could also order from someone like Dougs tubes and tell him what amp they're for and he should be able to select tubes that will bias up properly.

Archived