Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Rockmaster & Classic 60/60 P-amp

I just got my old rockmaster & a Peavey 60/60 power amp back in a trade,I've been playing a modded 100 watt head for the last 2 years.

I really like the peavey rig and got a real nice trade, some say its a "can of bees" but I can get killer gain, sustain, and feedback, I a/b-d' it to my 100 watt which sounds better ,seems like the rockmaster lacks some upper mids & depth.

Whats your opinion???
    I endorse Laura & Valve Queen tubes, you should too.Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Charvel/Jackson."I'm happy to pay my tech $40 bucks to take the Zap for me."One kick-butt deal with johnpace2 Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS is a genius.After the Firebird X, i'm quite convinced Henry Juszkiewicz is crazy.Member of the JMP Hall of Fame.

i'm confused by the wording of your post.
    Guitars: Washburn WG-587 | Roter | Fernandes | Tokai
    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra -> ART SLA-2

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)
    Clips/songs (many styles): soundclick|netmusicians
    Vids: youtube

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Well, not to open a can of bees (pun intended), and I only ran mine through a Carvin TS-100, but it DID lack the depth and character of a tube head. I liked the tone of it, but I went back to a 1x12 combo, so, it wasn't like I didn't like it, but I think I know what you mean.

I know the rack vs. head thing is an old tired discussion, so, grain of salt.
      PRS, Godin, Carvin, & Ibanez guitars
      Digitech GSP1101/Control 2
      Sennheiser G2 in-ear system

Originally Posted by DrakkarTyrannis

Ya'll n****s is gay

Cheers, Lucius.

Originally Posted by BrendanO

For real. Anomaly shreds not only his balls off, but the balls off two out of every five children born after 1992.

Band
      YouTube
      Facebook

Transactions with: OceansBetweenUs, eagertokill, rbasaria, outkastin2g, jonny_toetags, Findthetone, chriscnb, and CAC

Comment

Well, not to open a can of bees (pun intended), and I only ran mine through a Carvin TS-100, but it DID lack the depth and character of a tube head. I liked the tone of it, but I went back to a 1x12 combo, so, it wasn't like I didn't like it, but I think I know what you mean.

I know the rack vs. head thing is an old tired discussion, so, grain of salt.
        Right on, sorry if I was confusing.
        I endorse Laura & Valve Queen tubes, you should too.Marshall, Gibson, Fender, Charvel/Jackson."I'm happy to pay my tech $40 bucks to take the Zap for me."One kick-butt deal with johnpace2 Dave Friedman of RACKSYSTEMS is a genius.After the Firebird X, i'm quite convinced Henry Juszkiewicz is crazy.Member of the JMP Hall of Fame.

Comment

I don't know, my Rockmaster and classic 50/50 sounds pretty thick. Could be in part due to the Resonance and Presence controls. I actually prefer it to our other guitar players Fireball.
          Mesa/Boogie Mob

AMT Army-Lt. Colonel AnGuS

Clips (Click Me):

For Good Transactions Click Me

BRO CLUB: Member

Comment

I'm with JerEvil; my RockMaster sounds thick as hell with the Mesa 2:100... not as thick as a recto but it's not the same voicing anyway.

So it could be your power amp choice?

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

The classic 60/60 power amp still has the original peavey power tubes I just got it from a friend who got it off Ebay so I'm sure some love and a quad of =C= SED's would be a plus.

Comment

definately not a can of bees. Its super tight like this would be great for tech metal tight. I want to trade mine for another pre becuase I'm not in love with the mid voicing.
                http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php

Comment

Does anyone know if the Peavey classic 60/60 power amp is adjustable biased??? I had the cover off today but I didn't see a bias trim pot? I might have missed it?oke:

Comment

Does anyone know if the Peavey classic 60/60 power amp is adjustable biased??? I had the cover off today but I didn't see a bias trim pot? I might have missed it?oke:

I beleive its fixed bias. I never found a bias pot on mine.
                    http://www.guitarampboard.com/index.php

Comment

It isn't. Cheers, Lucius
                      Good transactions with: Brewski, gtpfbod, Xenoanthropus, wassupg,NickCormier, Ben J , Skyhighrocks, JonathanD, gooman, UVguy, Rho, Erocku, warplanegrey, exilea, Jerryp, Mogwai, thefyn, guitarslinger, Mr Scary, madrigal77,Dark Aegis, a few others that have slipped my mind.

FS: Mesa Dual Rec - SOLD! To the man with the big green shoes!

Comment

To get mine to sound meaty I don't pull the gain knob though I do pull the mid knob, and I run a graphic eq pedal between the Rockmaster and the Classic 120 power amp I'm using. Then I have the gain up to full and use a tubescreamer to give it a little more kick. Also, having the post-gain up higher will fill out the sound, though I only keep mine at about 1/2 to at least somewhat balance out with the clean channel (which I almost never use anyway).

To my ears it sounds a little more on the British-y side of distortion that way. Otherwise it just sounds like what you described and sort of solid state-like, which might be very good for keeping detuned metal sounding tight.
                        __________________________________________________ ________
                        Great transactions: -Juggernaut-, Beergoblin, Boris the Blade, Guttermouth, Tubesteakfortone, thriftyshirt, craftswitch, negative theory, and dethmetalanimal

Comment

When did you get a rockmaster, Im missing my old one

Comment

I've never had problems with mine sounding cold or solid-state like unless I pull the gain knob. Then it sounds like a distortion pedal. But I run my gain at like 7-8 so I do have a fair amount, never feel the need for more.

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

FWIW, I never pull the gain knob on mine.
                              Mesa/Boogie Mob

AMT Army-Lt. Colonel AnGuS

Clips (Click Me):

For Good Transactions Click Me

BRO CLUB: Member

Comment

Working...
                              X