AxeFX Going Software. I LOVE IT.

Elric

• Members

Cliff C just dropped this bomb over on Rig Talk concerning the AxeFX VST:

Everything is in there. All the reverbs, compressors, harmonizer, etc. We're probably going to sell a base version and then offer add-on packs. The base version will have amps, cabs, reverb, delay, etc. Then there'll be the "Studio Pack" which will have multi-band compressor, vocoder, etc.

We copied the whole grid-based routing theme as well. So it won't be a virtual rack like the other products. The main interface is the grid. You click on a location to select/edit an effect. When you click on an effect a control panel pops up for editing, very slick.

Our audio interface should be done shortly as well. This completes the package because it uses the "special sauce" front-end electronics from the Axe-Fx. The interface uses the same front-end electronics and converters as the Axe-Fx along with an 8 channel USB interface. There's also MIDI In and Out so you can hook a MIDI controller to it and control the software just like you would an Axe-Fx.

The basic idea is to turn your PC or Mac into an Axe-Fx. [sales pitch mode] You supply the hardware, we supply the audio interface and software. So you get our award-winning modeling and effects running on a PC or Mac. [/sale pitch mode]
:D

It isn't going to be cheap though. It won't be as much as an Axe-Fx but it's not going to be in PodFarm (or whatever it's called) territory either. A LOT of development has gone into this. As with the Axe-Fx we don't skimp on things. If you want a cheap product then get GuitarRig or Amplitude. If you want quality and are willing to pay a little extra the Axe-PC is for you.

This has the potential to be huge, IMHO. Great idea. I've been super impressed by the software stuff in '08. I've gone pretty much all Revalver for my noodling/practice setup. I could see this replacing it in a year or so and it puts pressure on Peavey and Line 6 to innovate. Plus we have upstarts like the studio devil and overloud guys in addition to the not as premium/cutting edge but still in there swinging, proven, products like Amplitube and Guitar Rig. :love: :love: :love:

Maybe '09 will be the year of software.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WOW that IS huge. Might change a LOT of things

only problem with software is piracy. Right now his unit cant really be duplicated...but as soon as the software is out there, the thieves and copycats set in

Yeah, based on the text of his post, I'm guessing the audio interface is going to be required like the Line 6 plug-ins. This has helped curbed piracy on their stuff big time.

• Members

I was never seriously considering the Axe because I'm happy with my rack setup but if this system comes in at about half the price of an Ultra for an equivalent capability in all software, I'm all over it for the home practice/studio stuff.

• Members

Woo hoo. Now we're talkin'. Software based Axe FX for those of us who cant run TDM only software like Amp Farm and possibly sound better at the same time.

Please dont make a separate interface though. Just use a USB dongle if you wanna curb pirating.

• Members

Why a USB interface? Doesn't USB have the most latency? Wouldn't Firewire or PCI be better?

I wonder if there will be some kind of deal for people who already own the Axe-FX and would like to have the software on their PC...

I dont mean for audio. Just a little USB thumbdrive to authenticate the license.

• Members

Hopefully the audio interface is simply just input/output stuff rather than controls because I'm not a fan of the Axe-Fx UI. Data wheels can go {censored} themselves as far as I'm concerned.

I wonder if there will be a trial version so you can try if it sounds good to you and also if there is a standalone version because when that late night jam feeling strikes you, you don't want to open your DAW, then add that VST to a track etc. This is where standalone versions in software like Guitar Rig are great. Just start and play.

I say no to USB dongles. Especially on a laptop this would be really annoying to have. A mandatory audio interface is more useful for the user, all kinds of devices meant purely to prevent piracy either don't work (get cracked or even cause sw/hw conflicts) or are annoying to the LEGIT users!

• Members

I say no to USB dongles. Especially on a laptop this would be really annoying to have. A mandatory audio interface is more useful for the user, all kinds of devices meant purely to prevent piracy either don't work (get cracked or even cause sw/hw conflicts) or are annoying to the LEGIT users!

The iLok technology is pretty well proven. Without a dongle is always nicer for the user than with a dongle but I'd tolerate it if that's what it meant to have a purely software based AxeFX at a discount from the hardware unit. There have certainly been some anti-piracy schemes that were so bad they encouraged piracy among legitimate users as well as the pirates... and I don't think iLok has been too bad in that regard.

• Members

Then people might as well get an AxeFX if they have to get all that stuff. I already have an RME Fireface so I dont need yet another interface.

Its cool if you need one but they should make it optional and provide an Ilok as well.

• Members

To answer some of my questions, apparently there will be a standalone version and also a demo version, which will be limited to 15 days and will only run for a few minutes at a time, enough to check if it sounds great or not. I truly hope it does because previous software modelers have been lacking to me no matter what I've used as an output (even tried running them through a tube poweramp and guitar speakers).

• Members

pirates have a way around these as well...

Definately easy to get around the Dongle.. There are unamed companies that will do it very cheap as well. The minute you have any software that is valuable/useful to someone, you will have hackers/pirates cracking that software. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

Definately easy to get around the Dongle.. There are unamed companies that will do it very cheap as well. The minute you have any software that is valuable/useful to someone, you will have hackers/pirates cracking that software. Cheers, Lucius

my favorite group is AiR : D

Archived