Peavey 5150 combo vs. 6505 combo

Electric Storm

• Members

So I'm looking for a good high gain, metal combo and am thinking of going Peavey. Right now all I have is a Mesa/Boogie 30 watt which when cranked just does not have the amount of gain I want. I should add that I use headphones, so how well the peavey works with headphones is important. How does the 6505 compare with the 5150? is this the right amp I want for a high gain sound, but at the same time has good EQ as well?

Oh i should mention that I don't want to spend more then two grand.

• Members

If you are only using headphones, as in plugged into the amp's DI or headphones output you are probably better off going for a modelling unit or a valve preamp with a good DI (for highain you could get an engl 530e).

DI s on valve heads/combos tend to sound pretty crap!

• Members

What do you mean by using headphones? You have the amp mic'd up, and using headphones through a mixer or something like that?

I don't have a basement or soundproof house so I can't crank the master up without plugging the headphones into the amp. Directly.

The amp sounds horrible with the gain cranked and the volume low. It sounds too muddy. So I have to use headphones when I put the volume all the way. That is what I mean:)

• Members

I believe you have a mesa F30 which has a speaker mute switch at the back and a headphones output correct?

It would help you to get a DI box with some sort of EQing to make the DI signal out of the F30 a bit nicer, but I dont think you will achieve much...For your purposes a recording valve preamp or a modelling preamp would be much more suited.

I say, if you are prepared to spend 2grand get an Ax-effects.

• Members

I don't have a basement or soundproof house so I can't crank the master up without plugging the headphones into the amp. Directly.

The amp sounds horrible with the gain cranked and the volume low. It sounds too muddy. So I have to use headphones when I put the volume all the way. That is what I mean:)

5150's and 6505's don't have a headphone output or DI...there is no safe place to plug headphones into them...just like most tube amps.

Archived