Anyone hear of the Earth Sound Research G2000?

omg_otters

• Members

I just bought a mint condition Earth Sound Research G2000 Super Guitar head and matching G-25 2x15 cabinet, both with matching black spongy tolex.

Got it from the original owner who bought it in the 70's and said he had turned it on less than 50 times since he's owned it. Looks like it came out of a music store showroom in 1975.

The little I've been able to find out about it is from that Earth site. Seems to be a Fender Showman clone, with reverb and trem.

It sounds absolutely HUGE through this 2x15 cabinet. At '3' on the volume I feel like I'm being punched in the chest. It's a very cool amplifier.

All I know about it is what's on the Earth site, and the few user reviews here and on TGP. Seems their solid state stuff is pretty crappy, but the tube amps are well thought of and sound fantastic.

• Members
I just bought a mint condition Earth Sound Research G2000 Super Guitar head and matching G-25 2x15 cabinet, both with matching black spongy tolex.

Got it from the original owner who bought it in the 70's and said he had turned it on less than 50 times since he's owned it. Looks like it came out of a music store showroom in 1975.

The little I've been able to find out about it is from that Earth site. Seems to be a Fender Showman clone, with reverb and trem.

It sounds absolutely HUGE through this 2x15 cabinet. At '3' on the volume I feel like I'm being punched in the chest. It's a very cool amplifier.

All I know about it is what's on the Earth site, and the few user reviews here and on TGP. Seems their solid state stuff is pretty crappy, but the tube amps are well thought of and sound fantastic.

Was Earth and Ross part of the same company?

• Members

Was Earth and Ross part of the same company?

No, Earth wasn't part of Ross. Earth was founded out of the Plush Amplifier company. They were around in the late 60's/early 70's. Plush also used that tuck & roll style of covering. My Earth G2000 Super Guitar is exactly the same as an amp that Plush also offered.

I believe Plush was sued for just copying trademarked amplifier designs, and that let to their demise. It's a little hard to get info on these companies from this time period.

• Members

No, Earth wasn't part of Ross. Earth was founded out of the Plush Amplifier company. They were around in the late 60's/early 70's. Plush also used that tuck & roll style of covering. My Earth G2000 Super Guitar is exactly the same as an amp that Plush also offered.

I believe Plush was sued for just copying trademarked amplifier designs, and that let to their demise. It's a little hard to get info on these companies from this time period.

There you go. I thought they were with another big name in the past! At least it wasn't Standell !

• Members

those plush amps, at first blush, are pretty monster! HUGE ass transformers, and and pretty monster output sections. there's one locally that's got 4 6550's in it, and a LOT of wierd stuff goin on on the front panel... plus it's got a 'slave out' setting... obviously for some HUGE stages....

• Members

Actually, Plush and Earth Sound Research were two different companies. Marc Neumann and Dave Garrett founded Earth Sound Research in 1970, Plush was founded two years earlier by Ron Lipsky. The companies did operate similarly though; both started out by copying existing designs and cosmetic looks from the amplifiers that were popular those days. Later made their own unique amps. Neither one of the companies built the amps themselves, they always used a contractor for that. Earth Sound Research used Qualtrol Electronics that later began to market amplifiers of their own under TUSC brand. Similarly to Earth and Plush, TUSC started out with Ampeg clones built with the help of a former Ampeg employee Oliver Jespersen). They later develop one of the forerunners of modern modelling amps.

Earth bought what was left of Plush in 1974, when the Plush

• Members

Thanks for the great info teemuk. I was led to believe that Earth was formed from the ashes of Plush, but it seems that it's the other way around, Earth bought out what was left of Plush.

It's amazing how much the early tube Earth amps look like the Plush tube amps. Same control panels, tuck and roll, ect. Maybe they just bought up old Plush parts and slapped the Earth name on them?

Whatever it is, my Earth G2000 Super Guitar head is really something.

Archived