Fender Hot rod deluxe gem

FeelTardy

• Members

I just picked up this cheapo hot rod deluxe at a pawn shop. 400 bucks, made in america, May of 1999. I put in some JJ 6v6's that I had in a 77 musicmaster bass amp (mmb) and it sounded even a little better. It reduced the bass a bit and caused a little earlier breakup. I was very happy with this pawn shop find. Now I am at about 450 bucks.

I also sold a peavey jsx head that i really enjoy but just don't play enough anymore. As I was packing it up for shipping I thought I would take a listen to the hrd with the high gain pre-amp tubes that I have in the jsx. What I found was really impressive. This is the best {censored}ing tone I have ever heard. I think I have just gone to heaven and heard god playing the guitar. I have played on a vintage deluxe reverb and this is just like that amp maxed out. Now, in all fairness, my clean sound has virutally disappeared. So I have sacrificed something, but what I am left with is unreal.

Anyway, what tubes are you guys using in your hrd? Is it pretty typical to find this transformation by putting in better tubes. And why doesn't fender put in tubes that cost $30 more than those sovtek stock tubes and sell the amps like this? The difference is huge!

I really suggest some JJ 12ax7 hi gain pre-amp tubes for this amp. I think I've found something special and wanted to share with the community. The stock HRD is a decent amp. Put in some quality tubes and this thing is sick!

Have any of you guys tried the high gain pre-amp tubes in this guy? I feel like I just got a bf dr for under $500. :thu:

• Members

I just picked up this cheapo hot rod deluxe at a pawn shop. 300 bucks, made in america, May of 1999. It sounded nice, somewhere between an old twin reverb that i had and a deluxe reverb of my buddies that I played. I put in some JJ 6v6's that I had in a 77 musicmaster bass amp (mmb) and it sounded even a little better. It reduced the bass a bit and caused a little earlier breakup. I was very happy with this pawn shop find. Now I am at about 330 bucks.

I also sold a peavey jsx head that i really enjoy but just don't play enough anymore. As I was packing it up for shipping I thought I would take a listen to the hrd with the high gain pre-amp tubes that I have in the jsx. What I found was really impressive. This is the best {censored}ing tone I have ever heard. I think I have just gone to heaven and heard god playing the guitar. I have played on a vintage deluxe reverb and this is just like that amp maxed out. Now, in all fairness, my clean sound has virutally disappeared. So I have sacrificed something, but what I am left with is unreal.

Anyway, what tubes are you guys using in your hrd? Is it pretty typical to find this transformation by putting in better tubes. And why doesn't fender put in tubes that cost $30 more than those sovtek stock tubes and sell the amps like this? The difference is huge!

I really suggest some JJ 12ax7 hi gain pre-amp tubes for this amp. I think I've found something special and wanted to share with the community. The stock HRD is a decent amp. Put in some quality tubes and this thing is sick!

Have any of you guys tried the high gain pre-amp tubes in this guy? I feel like I just got a bf dr for under $400.
:thu:

You won't find much Fender HRD love here in this forum.

I've owned the Fender HRD before and I loved the cleans but the dirty channel was worthless.

I predict a pedal purchase in your future. :poke:

• Members

I guess that is why I started this post. I just picked up a cheapo practice amp that I thought had a decent clean that i could screw around with. I wasn't expecting much else from it.

The tubes were original fender gt crap so I thought i should change em. I had a musicmaster bass amp with some JJ 6v6's in it and some high gain jj ecc83s so i threw them in and biased it as hot as it would go (not as high as eurotubes recommends).

I think it sounds really good, and I'm not even talking about the clean channel. It kinda killed the original quality of the clean channel. Its got a real good classic rock breakup imho. Actually reminded me of a dr.

anyways, I will shut up in shame and embarrasment now and go back to practice.

Archived