Marshall it is...

midnightmadness

• Members

Hard rock, punk rock, something slash like. The budget is $450

Once again about the AVT100 I tried... the OD1 mode was fine, it seems like it can do something like Slash. Not exactly like him of course but the same general thing.

I think the AVT gets a lot of hate from people who havn't actually played them. One person bad mouths them and everyone else agrees because it isn't all tube. Fact is, I really liked the tones I heard.

• Members

I loved the AVT20 and 50. Both channels were usable. The AVT150 I had was kind of crap because OD2 sucked and so did the acoustic simulation channel. Utter crap. The effects were so so and I never used them. The OD1 and clean sounded like the AVT50 though. They are also plenty loud and the AVT50 head I had cranked through a Marshall 1960A kept up with my friend's Single Rectifier just fine. Cut through the mix just as well as the Mesa. Boost the OD channel with something cheap like a Bad Monkey and you got a super sweet rig for around $500.

• Members

i mean, i'm no fan of peavey...but the fact is that the classic series are pretty damn good sounding amps on their own, and they take pedals VERY well. they've got two channels and footswitchable reverb. with a clean boost or EQ pedal, you basically get a 4 channel amp AND free access to reverb, all for your budget or less for a combo.

that's pretty hard to beat, IMO.

• Members

so peavey huh?.. really??

Look, stop worrying about the name and start worrying about the amp itself. Most all amp manufacturers have better and worse amps... peavey has some {censored} stuff but some great stuff too. A red stripe bandit combo will cost you $200ish, sound great and get as loud and nasty as you want it to. I'd also recommend the Fender Roc-Pro or Marshall Valvestate 8100. Another good options is a Rock Master preamp (also Peavey) through some sort of a power amp, but seeing as you're a bit uninitiated in amps, I think you'd be better off without a separate pre and power amp.

And yes from what I hear the classic series is a great sounding amp and a great deal.

• Members

I haven't personally played it but the Blackstar gets great reviews. It's supposed to cost 300$, right?

That on top of a 1x12 cab. Problem solved. All tube, killer tone. :thu:

[YOUTUBE]_2DWIAYPuEs[/YOUTUBE]

3:45 onwards it sounds as good as anything I've heard. ;)

• Members

never buy any AVT or solid state marshall, horrible horrible amps.

my avt50 was my first "real" amp and it was a nightmare. i couldn't get any tone. its was loose, and when cranked sounded really mushy and extremely unplesant.

the sad part was it cost me more than my 5150II:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

i regretted getting it and u will

i recomend any cheap tube amp over a solid state. valveking, blue voodoo, b52 ST/AT, bugera, peavey classic etc are all much better options than solid state IMO. if u can't get the tone u want from them, u can always boost/eq it to get what u want.

Archived