celestion G12M vs. WGS Green Beret

zoomzilla

• Members

Have any of you done a side by side with the G12M vs. the Green Beret?

I blew one of my G12M and need to replace it. I can buy a replacement for 109 for the celestion or 65 for the WGS or I could recone it for 50 (I need to buy all the glue so 31 for recone kit plus 20 for glue).

I am not sure which way I want to go. If the WGS sounds no different, then why would I buy the Celestion. I have 3 Celestions that work and the new one will be the 4th.

• Members

My bl80s don't sound exactly like cl80's. More low end and not as open sounding. I don't think it would be an exact match. If you were replacing 2 it wouldn't be as much of a big deal but with one I think you'll probably notice it.

• Members

I have a pair of Green Berets, and I love them......

When I bought them I found a pair of Greenbacks.....I sold the greenbacks.

It's not so much that the Green Berets were better........more like similar tone at a lower price.

I will agree that all WGS speakers have either: less high end or more low end.

• Members

I have a pair of Green Berets, and I love them......

When I bought them I found a pair of Greenbacks.....I sold the greenbacks.

It's not so much that the Green Berets were better........more like similar tone at a lower price.

I will agree that all WGS speakers have either: less high end or more low end.

what are you playing through and what style?

what are the difference between them?

are the Berets that close to Backs that it's just a price issue?

thanks!

• Members

what are you playing through and what style?

what are the difference between them?

are the Berets that close to Backs that it's just a price issue?

thanks!

I had them in an opened backed Vox 2x12 cab. I was using it to add some beefy low end to my Rocktron Vendetta all tube combo (kinda like a high gain Marshall type amp)....which it did very well. I used it in my hard rock cover band.

Right now I have one in my Vox AC30CC combo and one in the extension cab.......in a X pattern with a pair of Weber Alnicos.

I sold the Celestion greenbacks quite a while ago.......but I thought the WGS speakers were a little smoother.....but very similar overall.

I think a lot of the WGS hate comes from people not breaking them in properly.

I think the WGS Green Berets are worth it.....but if you can find used Greenbacks....do it. Since you'll be able to get your money back if you don't like them. WGS speakers are practically worthless if you're trying to get rid of them......at least the Veteran 30s and the British Leads anyway.

• 3 years later...

Archived