New Avatar Contemporary 1x12 Cabinet Review (Blackstar & Egnater Content)

yell03

• Members

I received my Avatar Contemporary 1x12 Closed Back Cabinet with a Hellatone 30 speaker (Broken in Celestion G12H30) on Tuesday 2/10/09.

After using it for the last 3 days with my Blackstar HT5 Head and Egnater Rebel 20 Head and comparing it to my Egnater Rebel 1x12 cabinet I can honestly say....

This cabinet is GREAT!

First off, the Egnater Rebel Front Ported and closed back cabinet loaded with a 1x12 Celestion Elite 80 (very similar to their Classic Lead 80) is no slouch, but the Avatar cabinet just sounds so much brighter and airy, but still with great low end punch. The Avatar cab is also so articulate.

After playing through the Avatar, the Egnater sounds a bit muffled in comparison, like it is under a blanket.

Don't get me wrong, I have been going back and forth between both cabs and both heads for three days now and I am still not 100% sure about ditching the Rgnater cab, but I am sure the Avatar cab is better.

I spoke to the guy at GC I bought my Egnater Rebel Head and cab from, and he said if I was not totally happy with the Egnater cab after hearing the Avatar I could return it even after the 30 day period:thu:

I think I am going to take him up on that offer.

He sold me the cabinet for $225, a great deal, but for an extra $53 I can order another Avatar cabinet and eith er load it with another Hellatone 30 or a Greenback.

I am leaning towards a smaller Avatar Traditional Cube 1x12 Closed Back with a Greenback rated at 25w. It is 17x17x15 compared to my Contemporary which is 22x18x12.

My Rebel cab is 18x15x12.

As for the Heads, Egnater Rebel vs Blackstar HT5, they are both GREAT.

I would like to tell you that the $299 Blackstar is worthy of making me return my $599 Egnater Rebel, but I can't.

The Egnater has much better cleans with much more headroom and it really kicks azz and IMO sounds more authentic for that typical AC/DC and KISS crunch type gain. I like the Egnater much better for Chord Work.

Also, the Tube switching from 6v6 to EL84 is better than that of the Blackstar.

The Blackstar has MORE Gain and great gain at that. Very responsive and I like it better for High Gain leads.

It is also a true Two Channel amp, but has limited clean headroom.

If I only could afford the Blackstar I would not be unhappy, but having both amps is NICE:)

Well that is my review and I am sticking to it...... for now.:p

Howard

• Members

What is it with pics?

They look like all the other ones.:lol:

Well actually, the Avatar Contemporary cabinet is different, I went Black Tolex, Wheat Grille, and white piping.

I'll have to figure out which of my kids stole my Digitial camera:cop: and post up some pics.

• Members

My buddy is considering a Avatar vintage or Avatar contemporary cab for his Peavey classic 30. Sounds like the contemporary may be the way to go.

that's basically what i did. i wanted it to use with other amps, as well, but it's primarily for my C30.

honestly, it enhances the amp in every way. i'm loving the thing.

• Members

My buddy is considering a Avatar vintage or Avatar contemporary cab for his Peavey classic 30. Sounds like the contemporary may be the way to go.

According to Dave at Avatar, both cabs will sound the same as long as they are configured the same.

Looks are the only difference.

BTW, PICS will be up shortly!:thu:

• Members

According to Dave at Avatar, both cabs will sound the same as long as they are configured the same.

Looks are the only difference.

BTW, PICS will be up shortly!
:thu:

Did you happen to ask how the wide vintage 112 compares to the regular vintage 112?

• Members

Did you happen to ask how the wide vintage 112 compares to the regular vintage 112?

I actually asked him how the Cube traditional compares to the wide tradional and he said it would be similar.

I think the wide cabinet is mainly for accomodating larger heads to fit on top of it.

Howard

• Members

CHALLENGER!!!!!

stick or auto??? nice R/T there, man...

and that blackstar looks right at home on that cab. sweet.

Automatic, I blew my back out and had to get rid of my manual tranny 2007 Z06 and 2007 911 Targa 4.

I ended up with a 2008 Mercedes C63 AMG, fast car, but not as sexy as the Challenger and twice the price, so I traded it for the Challenger.:thu:

The Blackstar does look good up there.:)

Archived