Official Matamp/vintage-Orange/Electric owners thread

BlackHive

• Members

EDIT: Clips updated with newer ones.

I had a thread going about just my amp recently but I want to have a place where all owners of these amps or people looking to purchase one can congregate and talk. Post links to ones for sale you discover. Discuss pedals that work well with them. Talk tech/repairs. Post clips and videos, etc. Suggest tube and speaker pairing options. You know the drill. All I can offer for content right now is this that I recorded recently as an attempt to better my recorded sound:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7630241

And today recorded this to see if my little digicam could capture more of how the amp sounds in the room:

[YOUTUBE]1JTTcH7-wmQ[/YOUTUBE]

Now add to it!

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sick tone man, I and I really enjoyed hearing "The Chosen Few"
:evil:

Thanks! Then let me add this.. digicam recorded version of The Chosen Few.

Sorry there's so much shaking and that rattling noise in both videos. The amp's sound was literally bouncing my camera around on the dresser. I put a pillow on the floor in front of it in case it fell off like some other stuff has.

[YOUTUBE]63TqCE17hNo[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Holy crap sell me that Meathead right now. I've been trying to find one for ages. Ever since I saw another Youtube clip of one through a GTL.... wait, was that your Youtube video too?

No, that wasn't me. (Was it pulled from youtube? I can't find it now...)

D*A*M pedals seem to have this crazy cult following. They never have anything in stock. I was lucky enough to stumble onto the D*A*M forum just as they announced an ebay auction for a few of their pedals. I nabbed one of meatheads. All of the pedals sold in SECONDS.

Anyway, it seems to pair really well with my GTL. You should get one if you can... it would sound killer with your electric!

• Members

How loud did you have that thing in the room? That poor camera is almost convulsing.

I'd love to have an old Electric/Matamp, but my trusty Peavey VTM will have to do for now.

The volume was only around 3.5/10. But these put out tremendous low end. As a tip if you're looking for a less expensive Matamp, watch the forums at the official Matamp site. I recently saw a beautiful Matamp "Green" GT120 sell for 650 UK pounds which is about $910. Shipping from the UK would be pricey but it'd still come in at nearly half what they sell for over here.

• Members

No, that wasn't me. (Was it pulled from youtube? I can't find it now...)

D*A*M pedals seem to have this crazy cult following. They never have anything in stock. I was lucky enough to stumble onto the D*A*M forum just as they announced an ebay auction for a few of their pedals. I nabbed one of meatheads. All of the pedals sold in SECONDS.

Anyway, it seems to pair really well with my GTL. You should get one if you can... it would sound killer with your electric!

Darn.. Yeah they're really hard to find and sell for more used than they go for new. The Youtube video disappeared at one point. I have no idea if the user deleted it or what. Just a weird coincidence that another Matamp GTL owner with a DAM Meathead also had a clip out there. That clip was the one that started me on the lookout for a GTL. Once I found one for sale, I sold the Matamp Roadster that I owned at the time:

93535506.jpg

As soon as it was sold and I actually wanted to complete the transaction and buy the GTL from the guy selling it, he quit responding to my emails. :mad: I spent the next year trying to find a suitable replacement and even tried buying the Roadster back without any luck. When I saw the Electric on Ebay, I bought it immediately. I hated only having a modern high gain amp (Mark III) and missed having a vintage voiced, chainsaw-gain sounding amp.

• Members

Holy crap sell me that Meathead right now. I've been trying to find one for ages. Ever since I saw another Youtube clip of one through a GTL.... wait, was that your Youtube video too?

I had a cutom D*A*M Meathead (1 of 2 Buddhead (pot paint job))....I sold it a while back for $400 or something. :freak:

I have to say....it was pretty awesome......ballsy in your face uncontrollable fuzz. Not worth...what....$350...they go for now? But cool none the less....

This is my contribution!

MatampRED001-1.jpg

• Members

Here's my Orange/Matamp

2849386447_06db8a6892.jpg

What speakers do you all like? I like celestion G12H 30 watts with the old Matamps and Orange amps...

I only have my two cabinets to play with. My Genz Benz 2x12 sounds good at all volumes with it. My Marshall 1960BV 4x12 has a tighter sound with less low-end but has a shrill top end unless the amp is seriously turned up L-O-U-D which is inappropriate for apartment playing. I don't have any experience with other speakers but am told the G12H30s work extremely well with these amps' voicing. I really want to try some in the 4x12.

Oh also can we please please hear clips of that Orange. I've been wanting to hear one cranked for AGES but it's really hard to find clips.

• Members

I only have my two cabinets to play with. My Genz Benz 2x12 sounds good at all volumes with it. My Marshall 1960BV 4x12 has a tighter sound with less low-end but has a shrill top end unless the amp is seriously turned up L-O-U-D which is inappropriate for apartment playing. I don't have any experience with other speakers but am told the G12H30s work extremely well with these amps' voicing. I really want to try some in the 4x12.

Oh also can we please please hear clips of that Orange. I've been wanting to hear one cranked for AGES but it's really hard to find clips.

Nice

I'll try to get some clips up - but for now, I think there's a cranked OR120 clip floating around here if that's of any interest.

• Members

I've tried my matamp with V30s, G12T75s, 10" Emi Legends, WGS GBs, WGS V30s, WGS ET65s, and now the celestion HOT 100s the RED cab came with.

I love every single amp I own through the 10" Legends for vintage type tones. Just one of those things......:love:

....but I will say that the Hot 100s do sound pretty damn good.....not too much of any particular frequency. balanced:thu: Although, I'm not sure how much my Matamp sounds like other Matamps. It sounds nothing like the Minimat I used to have. :idk:

I do not like the Matamp with V30s.........the natural harsh mid range.....but also a high end fizz. Yuck.

• Members

I've tried my matamp with V30s, G12T75s, 10" Emi Legends, WGS GBs, WGS V30s, WGS ET65s, and now the celestion HOT 100s the RED cab came with.

Dude I was going to say congrats on finally getting that. How do you like it compared to your other current cabinets? Any preference?

• Members

Dude I was going to say congrats on finally getting that. How do you like it compared to your other current cabinets? Any preference?

I like it a lot......so far.....right off the bat it's not as fizzy as my other cabs. Some how adds even more low end punch.:freak:

I can't wait to try it with my drummer next week....to see if it cuts through as well as the V30 cab. :idk:

Archived