No announcement yet.

How hot do tubes get?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How hot do tubes get?

I just picked up an old Peavey Classic VT from the 80's, and it has two 6l6 power tubes. This is my first ever tube amp so I have a question. How hot do tubes usually get, because after running this thing for like 30 minuetes, the tubes were about hot enough to burn you. Is this normal? thanks

Yeah, normal.

Those VT Classics are cool! That was my first real amp, I loved that lo-fi phaser it had.
    youtube
    music

Comment

Seven
      -Electric Amp MV120, Engl e530, Line6 PodXT
      -Genz Benz 2x12, Marshall 1960BV 4x12
      -ESP Viper Standard, Ibanez USA Custom USRG10, Fender MIM Jazz Bass

Comment

when its cold out. turn on your amp and flip it around so the power tubes are up front.
        the world is one big fist fight.

Originally Posted by duncan

I wonder what a persons life must be like if they're so easily affected by my posting on an Internet forum.

Originally Posted by Rear Naked

I saw 2 guys do it, and all they did was laugh really hard and say What The **************** a few times. No deaths or near-deaths occured.

Comment

Yeah, normal.

Those VT Classics are cool! That was my first real amp, I loved that lo-fi phaser it had.

Alright thanks.
          Yeah, Ive only had it for under a day now, and I love it already. The phaser is kinda cool. It gets real weird sounding with the color maxed

Comment

I think i used to have one of these.. They were cool. It was my first amp given to me by my uncle.. i remember the phaser knob.. mine had only 1 power tube (the second one pulled out) and the original speakers were replaced with 10'' pyle drivers.
            Amps-
            '82 Marshall JCM 800 2204
            CeriaTone 18w TMB clone
            Marshall JTM45 RI
            Class 5 combo with G10 Gold Alnico
            '63 RI Fender tube reverb unit
            '66 Fender vibro-champ

Cabs-
            1960A, 1961A, 1961B, 1966B, VS412

Guitars-
            80's Jackson Strat Custom shop
            Gibson VOS Les Paul R7 Gold top
            Gibson SG Standard Natural burst
            Fender '72 Tele Deluxe RI
            Epi '56 gold top

Comment

Yeah, the tubes get heated to several hundred degrees. This is why they warn you to let your amp cool down before removing tubes.
              -----------------------------------
              Official Sideshow Freak of Teh BOOSTED Midz Club

Get in the van with These Charming Men, you'll have a good time!

----------------------------

Comment

Seven

Good Transactions with: Hank Lady, JonathanD, thinkpad20, leod_74, GodBlessTexas, JerryP, ed_sped2, Sixtonoize, TheChopsyWanker, Silvertongue

Originally Posted by Hank Hill

Don't you realize you're not making Christianity any better, you're just making Rock and Roll worse.

Originally Posted by jnurp

My ex confided to me when we were madly in love that her ex before me was literally hung like a pringles can. That was one of the worst moments of my life.

Comment

Yes, hot enough to burn your fingers but, contrary to popular belief, not hot enough to melt solder.
                  Marshall JCM800 2204
                  Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet
                  Laney AOR ProTube 50

Comment

Seven

This.
                    Mesa Boogie RoadsterMesa Boogie Traditional Rectifier 4x12Maxon OD808ISP DecimatorESP LTD EC-1000Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster

Comment

Yes, hot enough to burn your fingers but, contrary to popular belief, not hot enough to melt solder.

There is much wisdom here!

I mean if tubes were hot enough to melt solder, we'd be losing leads on tube sockets left and right.

I think the ones in my 5150 get up to around 200F or so. But itw as probably higher than that. But I put a temp probe on top of the grille on top... and I remember it climbing through the 150's and towards the 200s which I think it finalyl hit.
                      Move along people, nothing to see here.

Comment

Hot enough for your finger grease to make the tubes implode and create a black hole.... lulz
                        Proud Member of the Jet Setters (Jet City Lounge)

Comment

How hot do tubes usually get?

The community here was awesome but the digs & spirit of the place has been in decline ever since it became a business venture rather than a simple collective and this latest gong show really brought the chickens home to roost.Necessity is the mother of invention, ergo: www.guitarampboard.com.So long and thanks for all the fish, love izzy.

Comment

I tried to pull a 12ax7 out of an amp I thought had cooled down once. This was yesterday.... It was not cooled down. But to answer your question

[COLOR="Red"]OVER 9000

Comment

WIN2
                              Good Transactions with: Hank Lady, JonathanD, thinkpad20, leod_74, GodBlessTexas, JerryP, ed_sped2, Sixtonoize, TheChopsyWanker, Silvertongue

Originally Posted by Hank Hill

Don't you realize you're not making Christianity any better, you're just making Rock and Roll worse.

Originally Posted by jnurp

My ex confided to me when we were madly in love that her ex before me was literally hung like a pringles can. That was one of the worst moments of my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X