So what's your favourite single coils?

STROOTH

• Members

My two favourites are Fender Custom shop 69's and Curtis Novak hand winds, with the Novaks being my favourite out of them.

I love the 69's and have a neck and middle with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. I love how raw and woody they are, just prefect for blues and Hendrix of course.

The Novaks just blow me away ever time I plug them in. I have never truly loved every position on a Strat until I got these. Just magic tone both clean and driven.

I've used BG, Aniquities, Fralin and Bareknuckles but for me the 69's and the Novaks are the {censored}.

The funny thing is that I don't like like the tone I get out of the singles on my Laney GH50L but they sound fantastic through my Laney Lionheart.

So what's your favourite.

• Members

I have a set of Fender Custom shop something or another in my 66' CS strat. They are about the strattiest sounding pickups I've had in a strat in a long time. I even put in a treble bleed cap so I can roll the volume off and clean up without losing treble.:cool:

• Members
Fat 50's.............hands down for me.

Never tried those, but would love too. Unfortunately I would need another Strat cause the Novaks and 69's aint coming out.

Good reason to buy another one I say. :D

• Members

I'm not sure what's in my Eric Johnson strat, but they sound AWESOME. When I bought it a few years ago I was planning on getting the American Deluxe. But when I plugged in the EJ strat out of curiosity I was like, "Aw crap, there goes a few hundred more dollars.". I had to have it instead. The middle pickup is especially awesome for some reason.

• Members
I'm not sure what's in my Eric Johnson strat, but they sound AWESOME. When I bought it a few years ago I was planning on getting the American Deluxe. But when I plugged in the EJ strat out of curiosity I was like, "Aw crap, there goes a few hundred more dollars.". I had to have it instead. The middle pickup is especially awesome for some reason.

Fat 50's ? :idk:

• Members

Tried the YJM and it was too quiet to mix with anything bar another YJM. Guitar Fetish range are AWESOME for the money. Tried 3 flavours and all were spot on.

Tried some vintage colored lace sensors and they were okayish. Lol, best I had was a carvin! LOADS of character, that stratty sound with nice warm overtones and plenty of quack.

AP11 is the best single coil for my style. Very vintagey, but bags of character. Things are cheap as hell too.

HATED hot rails.

• Members

That is a great pickup, seems to hold up well under higher gain situations too, I had one in the bridge of my Tom Anderson Swamp Ash Classic, Fralin vintage hot's in the middle and neck.

Sweet, that's exactly what I wanted, a solid single coil that could handle a little gain for rock.

• Members

Sweet, that's exactly what I wanted, a solid single coil that could handle a little gain for rock.

I love me my SP43. I had the same setup of your Tom Anderson Swamp Ash in my Swamp Ash G&L Legacy and it really kicks ass.

• Members

^This.

My EJ is the best sounding straight single coil Strat I've ever played. Single coil bridge pups in a Strat have always had that kind of ice-picky quality to me (with a few exceptions, including my bud's Fralins!), but that is totally not the case on the EJ. If it just had one more fret, it would be the ULTIMATE guitar in my book, and it's close enough for me as it is! :thu:

Archived