Show Your Recording Setup - Mics, Recording Interfaces, DAW's, Tell All

firejack018

• Members

I was asked by a fellow forumite to show my recording setup, so I figured I'd make a thread about it.

Show us your recording setups - pics preferred.

My setup is as follows:

I plug my Gryphon Head into a Palmer PDI03 Speaker Simulator.

I suppose any speaker sim with a load box would suffice.

I just happened to have the Palmer around and it works perfectly.

recordingsetup2.jpg

I bypass the Palmer PDI03's actual speaker simulation and use the unfiltered Line Outs instead.

I tried the Filtered Output for recording once before with drastic results.

An advantage of using the unfiltered Line Outs is that I can run more than one line at once.

recordingsetup3.jpg

I run two lines out from the Palmer PDI03 and into my Presonus Inspire 1394 interface.

This gives me a fuller sound when it gets to my DAW.

I guess it's sort of like double-micing in a way.

The Presonus Inspire 1394 is a solid little recording interface and is relatively inexpensive.

recordingsetup4.jpg

My Presonus Inspire 1394 then connects to my PC by firewire and on into my DAW of choice, Sonar Home Studio 6.

I've tried a few other DAW's, but I always come back to Sonar.

I guess it's because I'm so familiar with the ins-and-outs of Sonar after using it for so long.

I just can't be buggered learning a new DAW interface. :mad:

Also, I use speaker impulses to simulate a V30 loaded cab.

recordingsetup8.jpg

For drums I use Toontracks DKFH.

I program my drums hit by hit in piano-roll format.

I've thought about upgrading my drum software, but for my needs DKFH gives me all that I need (for now).

recordingsetup6.jpg

The end result comes out of my ESI nEar 05 monitors.

They aren't the best monitors, but they are good enough for home recording and I got a great deal on them.

recordingsetup9.jpg

PROS:

The best thing about this setup is that I can record at any time of the day or night in complete silence.

I can keep track of my recordings with the monitors turned down real low, or just connect some headphones.

CONS:

Using this setup, I lose interplay between the guitar and the speakers in a cab.

I also have to record blind - or should that be deaf?

Not knowing how the recording is actually coming out the other end can be unnerving and very frustrating at times.

I don't quite know how a clip has turned out until I stop recording and play it back.

Share yours.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've thought about upgrading my drum software, but for my needs DKFH gives me all that I need (for now).

:o

also have to record blind - or should that be deaf?

Not knowing how the recording is actually coming out the other end can be unnerving and very frustrating at times.

I don't quite know how a clip has turned out until I stop recording and play it back.

I dont understand this. You dont monitor the track while you're recording:confused:

If you have a minute extra one day, can you do me a favor? Id like to hear a comparison between 1) using one line out, and 2) using two line outs. Just a single take would do fine. Im just curious as to what the difference is:confused:

You record one take by arming two tracks right? and load the IR plugin on each?

• Members

Copied from another thread.

I use EZdrummer's drumkit from hell to build drum tracks then use superior 2.0 for the reason listed below.

I don't use any of the samples from superior 2.0. All that I use it for (for now) is to separate the individual components of the kit to their own channel. The reason for this is becuase EZ drummer will lump all of the toms to one single channel and that's obviously no good becuase each tom needs to be EQ'd differently and also becuase there are some fantastic tom samples I got on the ultimate metal forums that I believe Andy Sneap made.

For the samples, I use drumagog to insert samples. I use the free andy sneap kick (found on both his website and the ultimate metal forum), I found a couple of good snare samples from guys on the UM forum and made my own as well (which was used on that song I posted).

For the guitar tracks, I used my nitro on all the parts but just tweaked the amp's eq around for each one. I used my parker on one rhythm track and my carvin C66 on the other and the "lead" work was done with the parker as well.

For mic'ing, until I have the $$ for an MD421 mic, I'm using a 609 and 57 on my splawn cab. The 609 is mic'ing a 100 watt scumback H75-LHDC and the 57 is on a 100 watt scumback XH57-LHDC.

I don't position them in any specific way. To be honest, the scumbacks are so good, the entire cone sounds amazing. I've recorded and owned over a dozen other types of speakers from V30's to greenbacks, etc and ALWAYS had to spend a good half hour or so tweaking the mic positions to get them sounding just right. with the scumbacks, I could honestly toss a mic down on the floor pointing in the cab's general direction and get a better sound than a V30 could. :o

I know this picture below has tape indicating that I have indeed specifically positioned them but those are simply for the sound men when we play live to know which speakers to mic. the other two speakers in the cab are earcandy greenmachines which have a rolled off smooth high end that works well when combined with the snarl and bite the H75's have but when isolated, don't cut or sit in the mix as well so for that reason, I have the mic position tape on the grille which is more or less half way from the center of the dust cap and the edge of the speaker. The XH cuts and punches a bit harder than the H does so I put red tape on it so I know which one is which depending on whether or not the sound system at whatever bar we're playing at needs that extra thump from the speaker.

tn_IMG_0332.jpg

The mics go into this. Cheap (well compared to other dual channel mic pre's) preamp and works much better than going straight into the firewire interface box. I put a couple of NOS mullard 12AX7's I wasn't using in there and they actually made a noticeable difference.

tn_IMG_0346.jpg

Left and right signal from the preamp go into the two inputs on my Edirol FA-66 firewire box.

Guitars are double tracked. I play the rhythm part once which gives me two recorded tracks (obviously one from each mic).

I pan one hard to the left and the other 25% to the right.

Then I re-eq the amp, switch to another guitar (sometimes switch the mics to different speakers also) and then record the rhythm part again. Most of the time I try to do an identical carbon copy of the first recording I did but somtimes I'll add little sus notes or other stray harmony notes in with the chords to just add a little something extra to it. most of the time it works out well.

Then I pan THAT recording hard right and 25% left.

For lead work, I usually only do 1 recording take and pan one track hard left and the other hard right and then on one track, I'll use the waves supertap plugin so that one track's signal is bounced like a stereo delay over into the other channel. Doing this on just one track keeps the sound clean and note clarity there but really gives it a lot more stereo depth.

All the tracks get a little post recording EQ treatment but no compression on the individual tracks. I've tried it and usually works ok when used sparingly but IMO, setting the level of the tracks and then applying a master compression seems to work better so that's how I use compression on my recordings.

Mixing is done with adam A7's. Night and day difference from my M-Audio BX8a's.

tn_IMG_0336.jpg

My latest work. First mix so it's got quite a bit more work to do.

http://www.drewlankford.com/music/gowithyou_mix1.mp3

• Members

Turns out I don't have a lot of shots. :idk:

inputrack.jpg

Focusrite Saffire Pro, ART Digital MPA with Mullard 12AT7s, FMR RNLA compressor and a Groove Tubes direct box. The DMPA is connected to the Focusrite via SPIDF, with the RNLA running as an insert. Some day I'll patch my Eventide delay in there, but for now it lives on my guitar board. My old Alesis QS6 keyboard serves as a MIDI controller.

It all runs into a Macbook Pro running Logic 8. The Focusrite's main outs run to an old Yamaha amp and Polk Audio hi-fi speakers. Yeah, they're not proper monitors, and I'm really wanting something with more clarity in the low mids, but I'm so used to them my mixes still sound halfway decent. For mics, I currently have a Shure KSM27 LDC, two Rode NT5 SDCs, 3 57s, a Beta 58 and an Audix OM-2. I used to have more gear. I sold most of it.

liveroom.jpg

A shot from tracking acoustic guitars in my live room. It's a big oddly-shaped spare bedroom that's actually a nice sounding space. L to R: Rode NT5, Focusrite interface, Boss tuner, random booze, Shure KSM27.

Photo4.jpg

Backwards photo of my Mesa Stiletto and Marshall cab with WGS Green Berets. The aloe on the amp increases toan. :o Shure condenser again and whatever else is hiding on the other mic stand.

• Members

Copied from another thread.

I use EZdrummer's drumkit from hell to build drum tracks then use superior 2.0 for the reason listed below

...My latest work. First mix so it's got quite a bit more work to do.

http://www.drewlankford.com/music/gowithyou_mix1.mp3

Great stuff FRPC.

Lots of interesting info.

Great clip too man. :thu:

I'd love to try some of those Adam monitors.

Heard nothing but great things about them.

• Members

Turns out I don't have a lot of shots...

...The aloe on the amp increases toan.
:o
Shure condenser again and whatever else is hiding on the other mic stand.

Heya Exocaster.

Another good read. :thu:

LoL at the Aloe Vera tone enhancement.

Keep em coming.

• Members

What I hear is the guitar tone without speaker simulation.

It sounds freakin horrible.

If I try and use the speaker impulses whilst playing at the same time, my PC crashes in a heap.

Damn....you cant freeze (or stem) the other tracks to free up some CPU?

I would hate that:o preamp only signal FTL:lol:

I can simply tell you.
:idea:
If I use one line, the recording comes out through one channel only.

Even if I try and pan it to the other side, it just doesn't work.

I don't know why, it's just how it goes.

I stuffed around with it and found that two lines in creates a left and right channel.

Maybe it's a quirk of something in my setup.

weird:freak:

How have you been BTW?
:)

:love:

BTW dude, steven is talking abotu releaseing a 10 kit pack for 100 bucks soon. :idea:

• Members

2 Mesa 2x12 vert cabs>2 SM-57's>MPA Gold preamp (with NOS Mullards)>Delta 66>Sonar 8.3.1

Plugs as needed - UAD LA2A, UAD Pulltec Pro, UAD 1176LN, Voxengo Voxformer (new version 2 kicks ass - and really should be called a "channel stip"), UAD Dimension D, UAD Cambridge EQ,

• Members

0317091652.jpg

all the mics are packed aside-- but here's the bulk of it! love it... love the reaper, the saffire's a monster... but man, i've got a LONG way to go before i understand all my routing options!

but beats the living piss out of my old 16 bit adats... omg....

mics- pair of rode nt1's, an akg 451, a c1000, couple of 57s, a beyer m300, an at PZM, a d112, a dbx 266, a yamaha reverb unit.. also got a yamaha 4 tracker.

• Members

BTW dude, steven is talking abotu releaseing a 10 kit pack for 100 bucks soon.
:idea:

I'm so comfortable using DKFH now that I don't know if I want to have to muck around with new drum software.

I might ask the wife for a copy (along with a new PC) as a X-mas present. :lol:

• Moderators

Mine is pretty straight forward. I use EZ-Drummer for the drums, Traction 2 (I HATE tracktion 3) for my DAW and my dongle is the Line 6 KB37 Tone port. M-audio powered monitors. When I need to mic, I have a cheap condenser mic for vocals and accoustic and an SM-57 for micing an amp.

DSC00273.jpg

• Members

2 Mesa 2x12 vert cabs>2 SM-57's>MPA Gold preamp (with NOS Mullards)>Delta 66>Sonar 8.3.1

Plugs as needed - UAD LA2A, UAD Pulltec Pro, UAD 1176LN, Voxengo Voxformer (new version 2 kicks ass - and really should be called a "channel stip"), UAD Dimension D, UAD Cambridge EQ,

What are your thoughts on Sonar 8?

Which version were you using before it?

• Members

presonus firestudio project

dell pc running adobe audition

cheap m-audio studiophile monitors

shure sm57

sennheiser md421 u5

sennheiser e609

audix i5

mxl 990

mxl 991

two mxl 603s

two mxl ldc's i can't remember the name of :lol:

mxl v63m

three audix adx-90's

audix d6

generally my recording cab is the oversized splawn 2x12

usually i record using my mark III and deliverance

l_9648b5d4fe8c6cd7d8cca299e2d542c4.jpg

the rack has gotten a little fuller since this...

l_0558ab48d12ceaa266805eb9de3d46a7.jpg

mapz3.jpg

• Members

Na I think we have had this convo before.
:thu:
I need my effects for my recordings.

And the Palmer method works so, if it aint broke...

I don't think you are getting a pseudo 2 mic setup running 2 cables out of the Palmer. I think you are just getting more volume because you have 2 stacked on top of each other.

When you record into sonar, is each output from the Palmer recorded to a MONO track, or is it stereo...If it's stereo, that's why you hear nothing when you try to pan them to the other side of where you recorded.

Or, you have your I/O config messed up to read basically a L/R I/O from the Inspire rather than 2 mono sources.

• Members

What are your thoughts on Sonar 8?

Which version were you using before it?

I learned on Sonar (3 or 4, not sure) so have kept up with the upgrades.

I absolutely love it and the new 8.3.1 patch added new content as well as squished a lot of bugs. On a Q6600 it is extremely stable for me.

PLUS it plays well with my UAD's.

• Members

Na I think we have had this convo before.
:thu:
I need my effects for my recordings.

And the Palmer method works so, if it aint broke...

you can still put the effects in before the interface...so moot point :o

Of course it works. You might prefer the sound out of the loop...so why not try it:idk::freak:oh well w/e:idea:

• Members

Or, you have your I/O config messed up to read basically a L/R I/O from the Inspire rather than 2 mono sources.

This may be the problem.

I tried every possible config option to no avail, but maybe I missed something.

Next time I record I'll muck around with it some more.

• Members

Here's the current incarnation of mine:

DSC02104.jpg

Mackie onyx 1200f

Focusrite TTPro (w/ SPDIF)

DBX 1066

Central Station

Event TR8

ADK Pro DAW

Sonar

Various mics including:

AKG 414

Shure KSM137

AT 4040

MD421

SM57

I need that desk :)

Where did you get it ?

• Members

I learned on Sonar (3 or 4, not sure) so have kept up with the upgrades.

I absolutely love it and the new 8.3.1 patch added new content as well as squished a lot of bugs. On a Q6600 it is extremely stable for me.

PLUS it plays well with my UAD's.

I learned on Sonar 3 also. :thu:

I'm happy with Sonar 6 myself, but I'll probably be due for an upgrade in a few years time.

• Members

Here's the current incarnation of mine:

DSC02104.jpg

Mackie onyx 1200f

Focusrite TTPro (w/ SPDIF)

DBX 1066

Central Station

Event TR8

ADK Pro DAW

Sonar

Various mics including:

AKG 414

Shure KSM137

AT 4040

MD421

SM57

goddamn wes... that's some sexy {censored} right there...

Archived