Best "Metal" Combo Tube Amp Under $400?

Robert W

• Members

Here's my criteria,

Under $400 USD

Tubes, no solid state stuff

Low watts, 15-20 is preferable. Will mostly be used for practice and informal home recording.

Have a good tone for "metal". Especially Sabbathy sounding power chord type stuff.

I've been ready every review and watching every demo vid on youtube I can find and have pretty much narrowed it down to either a Laney VC15-110 15 Watt or a Laney LC15-110 15 Watt. If anyone owns either of these two models or, better yet, knows of something better, please let me know.

• Members

Used Ultra 112 combo. 300$ all day long-built like a tank. Yeah its 60 watts but its not like power tube distortion is that favored my metal players and a 60 watt amp is only 6 db louder than a 15 watt amp anyways. Bob

Thanks, am looking into that one now.

I'm looking for something with gain and plan on boosting that with a tube screamer as the majority of distortion pedals I'm hearing lately all sound like solid state bees buzzing around.

Not that I think I'm going to get a classic Marshall tone out of a low wattage tube amp, :lol: but I'd like to get something with a little classic sound to it, if that makes sense.

• Members

Thanks, am looking into that one now.

I'm looking for something with gain and plan on boosting that with a tube screamer as the majority of distortion pedals I'm hearing lately all sound like solid state bees buzzing around.

Not that I think I'm going to get a classic Marshall tone out of a low wattage tube amp,
:lol:
but I'd like to get something with a little classic sound to it, if that makes sense.

The Ultra will do a nice classic sound as well as give you as much gain as you might need with its two dirty channels and gain boosts on both channels. Heres a couple of clips of my Ultra Plus which sounds virtually the same as my Ultra 112. The sound is a bit squashed from my Canon powershot camera. Bob

• Members

The Ultra will do a nice classic sound as well as give you as much gain as you might need with its two dirty channels and gain boosts on both channels. Heres a couple of clips of my Ultra Plus which sounds virtually the same as my Ultra 112. The sound is a bit squashed from my Canon powershot camera. Bob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghOQ7ToQDNA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7EHwYjaRc&feature=related

A tube amp that sounds good going for under a $100 used on Ebay? What's the catch? Do you they only work on the third Tuesdays of every month or something? :lol:

• Members

A tube amp that sounds good going for under a $100 used on Ebay? What's the catch? Do you they only work on the third Tuesdays of every month or something?
:lol:

Dont know. You got a line on a bin for one for 100$? If its in working order thats a more than a steal. The going rate for an Ultra combo is usually around 300$ and even then its a great deal for a well built,IMA all tube amp that happens to sound great .;) Ive owned my Ultra 112 since new in 96? and its never given me an ounce of trouble. Bob

• Members

Dont know. You got a line on a bin for one for 100$? If its in working order thats a more than a steal. The going rate for an Ultra combo is usually around 300$ and even then its a great deal for a well built,IMA all tube amp that happens to sound great .
;)
Ive owned my Ultra 112 since new in 96? and its never given me an ounce of trouble. Bob

To be specific, there's a couple of Valvekings up on ebay atm that are going for $50. Shipping on them is another $50, but still seems like a really, really good deal to me.

• Members

To be specific, there's a couple of Valvekings up on ebay atm that are going for $50. Shipping on them is another $50, but still seems like a really, really good deal to me.

Whie I may not consider them quite in the same "league" as the Ultra thats a rediculous price for that amp too! Sure you got that right? If so jump on it. You can lose on that amp if some one is essentially giving it away. Seems too good to be true. :confused:Bob

• Members

Archived