What is the best passive pickup for mahogany body guitars?

SG-DAWG

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
SD Custom or Distortion are the two most commonly brought up here...

Ive tried em both before and wasnt crazy about them but its been a long time.I did like the jb i had in a Lp once though.Are any of the gibson pups any good?

• Members

I just got another SG and would like to try a passive.normally im a emg 81 guy,i dont want anything muddy but i do want thick.I play Heavy rock/metal but not death or black metal.any suggestions?

I would suggest the Suhr Aldrich pickup, it's exceptionally clear and handles heaps of gain really well. Best high gain pickup I've ever used. I use it in my mahogany body Ibanez SZ2020 prestige and it sounds really nice (sig).

• Members

SD Custom or Distortion are the two most commonly brought up here...

THe Custom and Custom Custom really sound good in mahagony guitars.. Im gonna be trying out a Duncan Distortion in an all mahogany guitar. A dude on Ebay is selling brand new TB-6's for $49 shipped.. Too good of a deal not to give them a try..

• Members

THe Custom and Custom Custom really sound good in mahagony guitars.. Im gonna be trying out a Duncan Distortion in an all mahogany guitar. A dude on Ebay is selling brand new TB-6's for $49 shipped.. Too good of a deal not to give them a try..

Damn! That is a very good price.

• Members

Damn! That is a very good price.

It seemed skeptical, but its on its way( or so the email stated) and he has positive feedback from others who bought em.. The auction states he bought all the overstock of a certain guitar manufacturer that used to use them in their guitars.. When I bought mine, it said there was still 40 left..

Guest Anonymous

I just got another SG and would like to try a passive.normally im a emg 81 guy,i dont want anything muddy but i do want thick.I play Heavy rock/metal but not death or black metal.any suggestions?

I have Lawrences in a mahogany body Ibanez S series. I really like them. They are very crisp and clear and the bass is there, but punchier style. The high end does have slight rice crispy cereal in milk sound to it, but that is if you are listening like a real picky b*tch. Similar to EMG in a way, but sings more than the EMG and you feel like playing your leads more than the EMG for some reason and rhythm is a little more enjoyable to play as well over an '81.

Guest Anonymous

I think Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios are everyday average take a sh*t in your hand and smell it pickups. There are a lot more options out there that are better and cost relatively the same. Why buy a Fender or Marshall when there are better amps out there, and the same thing goes with pups.

• Members

I think Seymour Duncans and Dimarzios are everyday average take a sh*t in your hand and smell it pickups. There are a lot more options out there that are better and cost relatively the same. Why buy a Fender or Marshall when there are better amps out there, and the same thing goes with pups.

what other pick ups are out there that are better than SD's or dimarzios and cost under a hundred dollars a piece?

Guest Anonymous

what other pick ups are out there that are better than SD's or dimarzios and cost under a hundred dollars a piece?

EMG's, APC's, Lawrences, I thing even q-tuner is even about 100 dollars. Maybe some of what I listed is slightly over a hundred dollars, but why save a few bucks buying a pile of sh*t??? Just save a few extra dollars and buy what you want instead of constantly buying something cheaper and replacing it later at a loss for what you wanted in the first place??

• Members

EMG's, APC's, Lawrences, I thing even q-tuner is even about 100 dollars. Maybe some of what I listed is slightly over a hundred dollars, but why save a few bucks buying a pile of sh*t??? Just save a few extra dollars and buy what you want instead of constantly buying something cheaper and replacing it later at a loss for what you wanted in the first place??

i've got 3 sets of duncan and a dimarzio and every single one of them sound better than EMGs, and if the dimebucker was modeled after the lawrences- you can keep those too... never heard of 'apc's' but i doubt they're much better either.

there are alot of duncans and dimarzios that are far from being 'piles of {censored}' and most of them cost about 70 dollars, and to be honest- i cant see myself ever spending much more than that on a pick up lol.

the blackouts are probably the most expensive p/u i'll have ever bought.

• Members

I'm a pretty big devotee of the JB. Yes there are probably better pickups out there, but at a price + soundquality ratio the JB is simply the best for me. It sounds wonderful pretty much anywhere

i used to be that way. i think the blackouts ruined me on them. i dont like the low end on the JB anymore lol - too loose or something.

Archived