Scumback speakers - order from Weber?

Killa J

• Members

Since Scumback speakers are made by Ted Weber, is it possible to spec one out just like the Scumbacks for cheaper? I'm looking at the XH75-LHDC speakers. Scumback sells them for $180, but I can buy it from Weber for $130 (at least I think I've spec'd it out the same). The only difference I can tell is that the cone won't be "specially treated" to sound 20 years old. But for $50, I'll break them in myself. Am I off base, or does that sound right?

• Members

You can't order them cheaper from Weber. It's kind of lame to try and cut the guy out of the loop who did all the work to perfect the design don't you think?

Here's his site - http://www.scumbackspeakers.com/index.html

BTW, I have two cabinets loaded with Scumbacks and they are awesome speakers and are worth the $'s you will spend.

• Members

You can't order them cheaper from Weber. It's kind of lame to try and cut the guy out of the loop who did all the work to perfect the design don't you think?

In a perfect world, you'd be right. Unfortunately, $50 extra per speaker is not something I'm willing to pay. If I can get almost the exact same thing, made by the same person, and skip the middle man, then that's what I'm going to do.

• Members

In a perfect world, you'd be right. Unfortunately, $50 extra per speaker is not something I'm willing to pay. If I can get
almost
the exact same thing, made by the same person, and skip the middle man, then that's what I'm going to do.

Good luck with that one...it doesn't exist. Why not buy used if $50 makes that big of a difference? I bought 3 of the 4 I have used, the other one I could never find so I caved and ordered direct. In the long run if it sounds significantly better is $50 really a big deal?

• Members

Good luck with that one...it doesn't exist. Why not buy used if $50 makes that big of a difference? I bought 3 of the 4 I have used, the other one I could never find so I caved and ordered direct. In the long run if it sounds significantly better is $50 really a big deal?

I don't know for sure if it exists or not. Since Weber makes the Scumbacks, and you can customize the speaker to whatever specs you want, it would seem that I can get the same speaker. If I could find them used, I'd absolutely jump on them. I just rarely see Scumbacks used, and not the speakers I want when I do see them. Plus, buying used doesn't benefit Weber or Scumbacks.

• Members

I don't know for sure if it exists or not. Since Weber makes the Scumbacks, and you can customize the speaker to whatever specs you want, it would seem that I can get the same speaker. If I could find them used, I'd absolutely jump on them. I just rarely see Scumbacks used, and not the speakers I want when I do see them. Plus, buying used doesn't benefit Weber or Scumbacks.

True it doesn't benifit Scumback but your getting the speaker at the lower price you have been seeking. Search TGP, there are Scumback speakers listed quite often...that's how I got mine.

• Members

True it doesn't benifit Scumback but your getting the speaker at the lower price you have been seeking. Search TGP, there are Scumback speakers listed quite often...that's how I got mine.

Thanks, I always forget about checking TGP.

• Members

It's not a stock speaker, but it looks like you can customize one to be pretty close. I've come up with this:

Cone style: British 1777 (75Hz)

Voice coil: 1 3/4"

Magnet: 80 oz ceramic

Power: 100 watts

Doped: Pre Rola treatment

Dustcap: 4" paper dome

Maybe I'll order one Scumback and one Weber like this and compare the two. If the Scumback sounds noticeably better, I'll order more. If not, I'll stick with the Webers.

I'd be very interested in the results.

Archived