Suhr Aldrich or Duncan JB?

5150GSX

• Members

I have a Jackson PC-1 (mohagany body/maple top) that needs a new pickup and these are the 2 I've narrowed it down to. I want something that cuts as I like an aggressive sound but I don't want it shrill. I like a little looseness in my tone but not flubby or sloppy. I have a JB in my '89 Charvel that sounds great but that is a basswood body.

Can anybody give me some advice?

Thanks

• Members

I played it in a strat, don't know what wood, and it was a little.

JB's will be slightly loose too, but will cut. Sounds like a good match if that's what you are after.

Personally, I view the Aldrich as a JB done right; It cuts, it has great articulation and cleans up really well, a very warm sounding pickup for being so hot...

• Members

I went through a phase of changing the pups in my explorer like every couple of months.

I went through the stock ones, EMG HZ, JB / Jazz, Dimebucker, Blackouts and now the Aldrich set. These are the best so far!

They bring out a bit more top end and the lower frequencies are nice and tight. They remain warm, even with ridiculous output!

• Members

I was a big fan of JB's for years, but I just dropped an Aldrich bridge pup in my KV2 and absolutely LOVE it. Kage's definition is spot-on IMO, it's what a JB should be - warm, clear, cuts well, and no annoying honk.

• Members

tired of the emg tone want to jump ship so something that sounds les compressed and sterile as emg's .was going to go for the jb & jazz neck but heard about these doug aldrich shur pups should i pursue these over the duncans ?

I got them from Burn on this forum! Someone like Guitar Guitar or Sounds Great Music will probably be able to get them for you.

• Members

im trying to decide wether i should wait for the new emg x series or go for the doug aldrich shur pup's.i may wait for the emgs because the wiring is allready done just clunk click in the pup's and play .if they dont impress the the aldrich's will get a try out .

• 10 years later...

Archived