No announcement yet.

Gorilla productions a Scam?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorilla productions a Scam?

My band has been contacted a few times by these guys in the past. Today we got another message from them on myspace using the exact same message from before. What do you think? Does it look legit? Smells like a scam to me.

here is the message

My name is Ray with Gorilla Productions. I am looking for some local bands to play on a Battle on Nov 29th or Dec 27th in Salt Lake City at In The Venue. These are both prelim rounds for a two round battle series. Winners of the final round will receive $500 in Cash, 20 hour studio recording time, a headlining gig booked around your band (with a pay out between $400-$1000). Also, each winning band will be entered into a nation wide contest on GorillaMusic dot com where the winner of the year long contest receives a $25,000 recording contract with Rock X Records and a limited US Tour. Please respond with your NAME and NUMBER to this email or call me to get confirmed onto one of these dates. Don't hesitate because these shows fill up extremely fast. Thank you and have a great day! Ray Rowe 216 322 0637 Booking Agent Gorilla Production
    Jet City JCA 100H
    Mesa Recto cab
    Marshall 1960A
    Shecter C-1+
    Shecter C-1 Elite
    POD HD 500

uh...unless you have to pay to play, i don't see how it could be a scam. worst case scenario is you win and don't get the prize, right?
    got a question about TITAN amps? ask me
    here

my website

TITAN AMPS on myspace

My band:Last Comes Gunfire

Comment

stay away, far away....

There will be no promotion done, you will not meet whoever calls you to set it up, there will be only no name bands on the bill because they know inexperienced bands will take these types of shows. They say they will call you for the second round. That won't happen. They won't call back.

They basically try for each band to sell as many tickets as possible for them in promise of money, tours, record deals from no name labels that probably don't exist. But for all YOUR hard work promoting you get ****************. The show I played ended up being our friends only watching our set. There was supposed to be 10 bands on the bill. 5 showed up. 1 stayed for our set.

My band played one of these, what a scam. Lesson learned. Maybe other shows go differently, but this is my experience and it was the worst show I ever played.
      Good deals with: xiwiwix, mmahan40, shred-o-holic, Raintes, MatrixClaw, itsallinmyh3ad, tzoranski, jcat5503, Fretburner1, jisham

Of Glaciers - Melodic/ambient/heavy

Comment

Same as mercyrule. Stay sway.

Comment

stay away, far away....

There will be no promotion done, you will not meet whoever calls you to set it up, there will be only no name bands on the bill because they know inexperienced bands will take these types of shows. They say they will call you for the second round. That won't happen. They won't call back.

They basically try for each band to sell as many tickets as possible for them in promise of money, tours, record deals from no name labels that probably don't exist. But for all YOUR hard work promoting you get ****************. The show I played ended up being our friends only watching our set. There was supposed to be 10 bands on the bill. 5 showed up. 1 stayed for our set.

My band played one of these, what a scam. Lesson learned. Maybe other shows go differently, but this is my experience and it was the worst show I ever played.

I had the feeling is was something like this. These "pay to play" or "presale" booking agents have become a problem in our local scene and are killing it. He didn't mention anything about selling tickets but I figured it would pop up later on.
          Jet City JCA 100H
          Mesa Recto cab
          Marshall 1960A
          Shecter C-1+
          Shecter C-1 Elite
          POD HD 500

Comment

That Rock X website looks bogus as **************** too. Inb4 Rock X shows up or some alt alt moniker shows up and is like "I did this with my band and now we are huge" OMGROFL

edit: "Rock Superstar" is the music on their website.....definite scam
            Gibson|PRS|Mesa Boogie
            100+ Good Deals/Transactions between Harmony Central, Rig-Talk, and The Gear Page

Comment

They were in Cleveland for a while. Haven't seen em put up a show in a hot minute. Their shows were always overbooked with slobbit bands in order to get max cash.
              The box pattern and arpeggio diagrams I made. Use em for whatever.

My death metal band.

Band's facebook page

Comment

Do they make those wonderful amplifiers also

Comment

our bass player just "booked" a gig similar to this...except there's no offer of a prize, it's just "sell some tickets, and we'll let you play with the 74 other bands that are stupid enough to go out and sell tickets to their friends/siblings/parents/etc.

i politely informed him that i'm not into the ticket presale thing. i did it once, and i won't be doing it again.
                  got a question about TITAN amps? ask me
                  here

my website

TITAN AMPS on myspace

My band:Last Comes Gunfire

Comment

That Rock X website looks bogus as **************** too. Inb4 Rock X shows up or some alt alt moniker shows up and is like "I did this with my band and now we are huge" OMGROFL

edit: "Rock Superstar" is the music on their website.....definite scam

yeah I saw that too! What a joke. If you look at the "Signed" bands you only see two and they are both ****************ty.

http://www.rockxrecords.com/
                    Jet City JCA 100H
                    Mesa Recto cab
                    Marshall 1960A
                    Shecter C-1+
                    Shecter C-1 Elite
                    POD HD 500

Comment

its legitish

my cousins band just played the second round couple weeks ago.

first round was last year september

it is basically a scam to get money for themselves, you sell tickets, most ticket sells gets better spot(usually last), then the winner is decided by the crowd right after the last band, so you sell more tickets your band has more people you get louder applause YOU WIN!!! here in houston the lamest band with no talent won because they sold the most tickets, only 3 of the bands actually had an original sound and played well. none of them won.

steer clear of them
                      Originally Posted by Rampage

You have repressed sexual feelings for your father.

SPAM:PM ME
                      SD Hot Rail LINK
                      Dimarzio Tone Zone-Black F Spaced
                      Dimarzio Air Norton-Black F Spaced

Comment

its legitish

my cousins band just played the second round couple weeks ago.

first round was last year september

it is basically a scam to get money for themselves, you sell tickets, most ticket sells gets better spot(usually last), then the winner is decided by the crowd right after the last band, so you sell more tickets your band has more people you get louder applause YOU WIN!!! here in houston the lamest band with no talent won because they sold the most tickets, only 3 of the bands actually had an original sound and played well. none of them won.

steer clear of them

Legitish? No its 100% legit as in you are not actually getting ****************ed out of anything but time. But not legit in the sense that they make you think it is some badass show when in fact it is lame as **************** and they are there to cash in on some dumbass kids.
                        Gibson|PRS|Mesa Boogie
                        100+ Good Deals/Transactions between Harmony Central, Rig-Talk, and The Gear Page

Comment

Legitish? No its 100% legit as in you are not actually getting ****************ed out of anything but time. But not legit in the sense that they make you think it is some badass show when in fact it is lame as **************** and they are there to cash in on some dumbass kids.

first round year ago, second round year later = waste of time

it is basically a scam to get money for themselves = cash in on some dumbass kids

i guess legitish was the wrong word to use.

NOT LEGIT!!!!
                          Originally Posted by Rampage

You have repressed sexual feelings for your father.

SPAM:PM ME
                          SD Hot Rail LINK
                          Dimarzio Tone Zone-Black F Spaced
                          Dimarzio Air Norton-Black F Spaced

Comment

OK! so basically this is how it works. Ive played in quite a few of these "gorrilla battle of the bands"

They are an organization that goes to each town and gives all the young ameture bands a chance to play at teh biggest venue in town(atlease in my town). I MEAN NO AMETURE TEEN BAND THAT JUST STARTED WOULD TURN DOWN A CHANCE LIKE THIS!!! Then they get the bands to sell their tickets to their friends and family for 8$ each (bands don't get any percentage of the profits back) and so thats how they make their money/profit. And they make it so that the bands who sold more tickets get to play later on in the program which motivates bands sell more tickets. And they always has a guy that constantly calls you and ask how many tickets you've sold and say "This might turn out to be a very big crowd!!!"
                            So you can call it a scam, or just a way to make some bucks, but either way thats their motive behind all this. Oh and BTW the band that sells the most tickets (the one that plays last) usually always wins, they might change it up every once in a while in an attempt to make it less obvious, but usually always the last band.
                            so my advice to you on these "gorrilla botbs" is that just know that you are making them money, but if you want a chance to play a show at a nice venue with other local bands or just a chance to be on stage and have fun, then go for it, but dont expect to get any musical promotion or progress in your "music careers" by playing one of these.

Comment

It is legit.

They make money. You play a good venue.

My band played 2 legs. One BOTB and one final where winners from 5 other BOTB comps all go head to head.

We won the prelim and the final. Go for it. Sell tickets, have fun.
                              Check out my band "Tock" Debut album coming out soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQoQgpMooyY

Comment

Working...
                              X