Recto - Can it be made tight and not fizzy?

Cookie Monster

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I changed from 6L6 power tubes to EL-34B's (or L's depending on the brand you get) and it tightened the bass up considerably. I also changed some of the preamp tubes to some other select tubes. Try a Tung Sol 12 ax7 in the v1 to start. maybe some JJ's in the rest. Also, I sometimes use a Maxon OD808 as a boost, and it can help tighten the head up. Do you use the "Modern" setting? If so, try the "Vintage" setting and adjust your eq and gain settings accordingly to the darker tone. I find the modern setting can be overly harsh sometimes, and I haven't been on that setting in about 2 years now.

-AJH

• Members

I just love the straight up aggressive bark and growl of a good, well dialed in Recto; there's nothing like it!

Well, I do like the Framus Cobra, but not the price or the build quality of them. So it would be a Recto for me...

well dialed in rectos still sound fizzy and mushy. maybe you just like recto tone??

• Members
Mushy bottom fizzy top is the problem we all know they have.

Is there a way to make a Recto really really tight, and loose the fizz?

I know Voodoo can fix this, but can it be done with pedals and settings as well?

Like boosting up front and an EQ in the loop?

Just buy the Engl Savage... :cop:

No matter what you do (eq pedal, od, etc) the Recto will still not be as tight as a VHT/Diezel/Engl... unless you want to sink $$$ into mods, which will work out to the same price.

• Members
Just buy the Engl Savage...
:cop:

No matter what you do (eq pedal, od, etc) the Recto will still not be as tight as a VHT/Diezel/Engl... unless you want to sink $$$ into mods, which will work out to the same price.

Maybe on some models, but for the most part even a modded recto will be cheaper than a comparable ENGL or VHT, and certainly WAAAY cheaper than a Diezel.

And I believe he already has a Savage... which he doesn't particularly like :idk: maybe because it sounds nothing like a recto...

• Members
Just buy the Engl Savage...
:cop:

Yeah, but if I could find a good deal on a used Recto and then have it Voodoo modded perhaps?

I have a Savage 120 sitting here right now, and it has the tightness I want, and the aggressive and immediate attack you just won't find in very many amps, but it's just too compressed for me.

My Titan will be here on Saturday, and I think I'm going to love it, but I'm still going to be amp whoring either way. :p

• Members

Mushy bottom fizzy top is the problem we all know they have.

Is there a way to make a Recto really really tight, and loose the fizz?

I know Voodoo can fix this, but can it be done with pedals and settings as well?

Like boosting up front and an EQ in the loop?

NO. its a buzzy , mushy amp.

some of the early duals / blackface have potential.

but 97% =

• Members

Weird. Mine's only buzzy or mushy when it's quiet.

This.

When you crank it up and jam with a band or a drummer at the very least they sound killer.

Roll back the presence too. I prefer to keep it between 0 and 3. It fattens up the tone and keeps that high end harshness minimal.

With my last band I always got nice rhythm tones even without a boost.

• Members
Yeah, but if I could find a good deal on a used Recto and then have it Voodoo modded perhaps?

I have a Savage 120 sitting here right now, and it has the tightness I want, and the aggressive and immediate attack you just won't find in very many amps, but it's just too compressed for me.

My Titan will be here on Saturday, and I think I'm going to love it, but I'm still going to be amp whoring either way.
:p

Good luck then... there are few amps that have a tight bottom w/o a lot compression... pretty much all tight modern high gainers will have a somewhat compressed sound... comes with the territory.

Archived