Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recto - Can it be made tight and not fizzy?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they can be, but why not just get an amp thats tighter and less fizzy instead of fighting the amp?

+1

With the right guitar and cab and some knob twiddling there is plenty of fizz free tone that doesn't mush up.

But most people buy Recto's for their saggy character. I'd say to just look into a different amp.
    Guitar Gear Worship Blog!For Sale/Trade:Blue Kickball MicElectro Voice RE-10 MicBoss PH-1rBoss TU-2(broken/parts?)Looking for:Pigtronix Infinity LooperPeavey 5150

Comment

What do you think of this? That's the tightest sound I could come up with a Recto.

That sounds great! Nice playing too

Comment

What do you think of this? That's the tightest sound I could come up with a Recto.

Dang, sounds pretty tight to me. Good job.
        Guitars: Godin Session CB, Larrivee D-05, Ibanez RG, Hagstrom Swede
        Amps/Cabs: Fargen Miniplex MKII, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Mustang III, Mills Afterburner 4x12

Good deals: Dimebag11, guitarslinger, ThePunisherTF, Wayne87mott, Kev324, zack, alaskaehlers, c2ply, ak37, droptrd, dboy5150, dropthisd, rbasaria, Shooto, Jon Hiller, DoubleBarrel, BabyDaddy, Edge11, bdhn, the gunslinger

"Hi, I'm Yesterday...and today I am looking for Tomorrow"- Maina

Comment

if your in washington state im in BC right by bellingham and my rehearsal space is on the border ,you should come up and you can hear em in person then you can tell everyone here how well its keeps up with my lead guitarists 2 peters and mills acoustic rig

Volume wise you're still turned up louder than I am so take it how you will
          AMPS
          Peters Hydra
          Peters Chimera
          Peavey 5150 -FJA Modified-
          Peavey VTM120
          CABS
          2-Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412A(G12K-100XHellatone 60L)
          2-Peavey 5150 Cabs(G12T-100)
          Peavey 5150 Cab (WGS Veteran 30)
          GUITARS
          ESP Horizon NT-II (Neck:Painkiller/Bridge:Painkiller)
          Gibson Les Paul Studio (Neck: D-Activator/Bridge: D-Activator)
          Ltd EC-1000 (Neck:Evolution/Bridge:EVO2)
          Great Transactions w/:sdresdre,lumpy555,angelhair0,boleiro,Dark Aegis, ErikHoppy,hemiram2006,Rhammer19,mincy

Comment

Volume wise you're still turned up louder than I am so take it how you will

That's by request of the audience... take that how you will
            GREAT TRANSACTIONS WITH.....---->CLICK HERE

Comment

Also.

foo fighters.
              BAND
              CRABCORE
              e-peen:

G&L ASAT Classic
              Fender American Roadhouse Strat
              ESP Hybrid II
              Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage II
              Orange PPC412

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

That thing tickling your throat? It's my cock in your mouth, suck it. Suck it good.

Comment

wut? What songs?
                Amps/Cabs: Fargen Miniplex MKII, Egnater Tweaker, Fender Mustang III, Mills Afterburner 4x12

Good deals: Dimebag11, guitarslinger, ThePunisherTF, Wayne87mott, Kev324, zack, alaskaehlers, c2ply, ak37, droptrd, dboy5150, dropthisd, rbasaria, Shooto, Jon Hiller, DoubleBarrel, BabyDaddy, Edge11, bdhn, the gunslinger

Comment

wut? What songs?

Um, foo fighters has ALWAYS been recto.
                  BAND
                  CRABCORE
                  e-peen:

G&L ASAT Classic
                  Fender American Roadhouse Strat
                  ESP Hybrid II
                  Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce Stage II
                  Orange PPC412

Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

That thing tickling your throat? It's my cock in your mouth, suck it. Suck it good.

Comment

Um, foo fighters has ALWAYS been recto.

Sorry, I've never been a big fan. It is not that I don't like them, I just never really got hooked .

From what I have heard, that comes to a surprise. Well, sort of the Recto was the amp of the 90's.

Comment

They playz teh rawk; not so much need for tight crunchy palm mutes and ****************.
                      Guitars: Washburn WG-587 | Roter | Fernandes | Tokai
                      Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra -> ART SLA-2

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)
                      Clips/songs (many styles): soundclick|netmusicians
                      Vids: youtube

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Try rolling back on the guitar's volume. That helps to smooth out the fizz and tighten up the lower end .
                        "I ate lead paint when I was a kid. What's your excuse?"

Comment

Try rolling back on the guitar's volume. That helps to smooth out the fizz and tighten up the lower end .

I have better luck just unplugging the guitar... oke:
                          _________

Official member of "Team Titan"! m/

(__/)
                          (==)
                          m/ m/
                          (")_(")

Fear teh Meh-tall Bunnay, himz is teh brOOtallz, hA hA hA hA...

Comment

This has been a great thread. I've got my Single Recto out again and am experimenting with it.

For tightening them up, do you guys prefer using a Clean Boost (like my OD-9), or an EQ pedal to just cut the lowest frequencies, or does 1 way have an advantage over the other?

I'm definitely like the results I'm getting with both setups, I obviously just have to run the amp's gain at around 10:30 when Boosting instead of 10 when I use an EQ pedal.

When using the Boost pedal or an EQ pedal, now I can run the amp's Bass up around 120 now too (since I'm cutting the lowest lows out), which should give me a good, thick, low mid emphasis. Whereas before, I only ran the Bass around 100.
                            HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50clCABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12GUITARS: PRS VHT/FRYETTE DEATH SQUAD FS: Fryette/VHT 50cl with EQ - $1000 shipped.Good Transactions With: psmile87, ams2ek, Holy-diver (x2), JC-TONEQUEST, Mikemtm, Shiny_Surface, mgcasella, knowwhatimean, poundcaketoredvelvet, knucklefux, Chrisjd, SDMFVan, ejendres, DeuceII, stephen sawall

Comment

Mushy bottom fizzy top is the problem we all know they have.

Is there a way to make a Recto really really tight, and loose the fizz?

I know Voodoo can fix this, but can it be done with pedals and settings as well?

Like boosting up front and an EQ in the loop?

haaaaaaaaaaaa no way. Sell it and get something else

Comment

Well, after a couple more hours of experimenting, I decided I personally liked the Single Recto much better with just the EQ pedal in front, simply cutting out the lowest frequencies. It made it tighter with alot less mud. It actually sounds great!

The only problem is, my Sig X sounds just like it the way I've got it dialed in, but with even more clarity and warmth, and the flexibility of many other tones in addition to that. So, even though I'm finally getting my Recto to sound really good now, I'm still going to sell it.

All Recto owners should definitely experiment with running an EQ in front or a Boost - it really makes them sound so much better IMO!
                                HEADS: VHT Sig X, VHT 50clCABS: VHT Deliverance 4x12GUITARS: PRS VHT/FRYETTE DEATH SQUAD FS: Fryette/VHT 50cl with EQ - $1000 shipped.Good Transactions With: psmile87, ams2ek, Holy-diver (x2), JC-TONEQUEST, Mikemtm, Shiny_Surface, mgcasella, knowwhatimean, poundcaketoredvelvet, knucklefux, Chrisjd, SDMFVan, ejendres, DeuceII, stephen sawall

Comment

Working...
                                X