Favorite KT-88?

superflyinmonke

• Members

you wont hear a big difference between brands---and listen to Megatron --he {censored}ing destroys on guitar.And owns VHT / mesa / etc....

JJ

Sovtek - all good.

remember...with a Mesa or GT logo, you are buying the same tube made at th same factories as Sovtek, etc......but paying extra $ for the fancy logo.

• Members

I'm looking to order some of these online because nobody around me seems to carry any stock. That opens it up to just about any brand. I'm looking for reliability and, of course, tone. Suggest me a tube variety and possibly an online store you've used and recieved good service from. Pretty please.

-Jeff

totally having a positive experience with my Sovtek KT88's. They were supposed to be "platinum" matched, but are not. They are matched ok, but still sound {censored}ing huge yet tight. If all KT88's are this good or better, then they are in my opinion the finest pickups made for guitar amps. I still have to try 6550's though, so who knows...

Anyone like 6550's better than KT88's? And what do you think that they would do differently in an amp like the Cobra with lots of midz and gangs of low end?

• Members

totally having a positive experience with my Sovtek KT88's. They were supposed to be "platinum" matched, but are not. They are matched ok, but still sound {censored}ing huge yet tight. If all KT88's are this good or better, then they are in my opinion the finest
pickups
made for guitar amps. I still have to try 6550's though, so who knows...

Anyone like 6550's better than KT88's? And what do you think that they would do differently in an amp like the Cobra with lots of midz and gangs of low end?

WAT

• Members

dougstubes.com. Tell him what tonal qualities you're going for, and he'll point you in the right direction. Stand up dude.

He has the Penta's, but not the SEDs. I'm wondering which to get. I like a really aggressive and {censored}ing tight tone on the lows and smooth on the highs. I like lots of mids too. I know Guiary has killer tone, but I'm not really going for a rock-type tone. I'm going for a thrashy, yet melodic type tone.

• Members
KT88s - FTW!
:D

I still wanna try these but I'm always worried about dishing out money for power tubes that I don't end up liking; although reading the description of these they sound like they'd be awesome for leads.

So far not a big fan of the Ruby 6550-STR, matter of opinion of course.

• Members

He has the Penta's, but not the SEDs. I'm wondering which to get. I like a really aggressive and {censored}ing tight tone on the lows and smooth on the highs. I like lots of mids too. I know Guiary has killer tone, but I'm not really going for a rock-type tone. I'm going for a thrashy, yet melodic type tone.

For shipping to Canada I'd suggest Tube depot for the SEDs. I just calculated up the cost from tubestore (based out of ontario) and the tubedepot (based out of Tennessee I believe) and the savings are ridiculous. For Shipping to BC Tube store's total cost was 241.34 and I believe those are still in US dollars, while tube depot was 186.85. Mind you you might get dinged at the board for duty and GST, but since it's shipped through USPS you might get lucky. Even 5% GST on top of the 186.85 is just an additional 9.34.

I think I might place an order for those SEDs and try the Penta Labs in the Chimera.

• Members

I see Dougs Tubes for the Pentas are only 188. I still need to do more research. The bonus for Penta's is a matched quad.

usually if you order 2 matched pairs from either tube store or tube depot they'll send a matched quad, so there should be no worries there.

Archived