Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite KT-88?

I'm looking to order some of these online because nobody around me seems to carry any stock. That opens it up to just about any brand. I'm looking for reliability and, of course, tone. Suggest me a tube variety and possibly an online store you've used and recieved good service from. Pretty please.

-Jeff

JJ's were good for me.
    Guitars,
    Ernie Ball JP6 and JP7
    RG 3120TW w/EMGs
    RG 570 w/EMGs
    Jackson Soloist and RR1 w/EMG
    Martin D28
    Koumaraska Classical

Amps,
    VHT Pittbull Ultralead
    Randall Iso cab and Marshall 1960
    Mesa DC3 Combo
    Marshall VS 8100
    Peavey Vypyr 75
    Crate acoustic amp

Pedals,
    TS9, NS2, DD20

www.soundclick.com/donnie71

Comment

you wont hear a big difference between brands---and listen to Megatron --he ****************ing destroys on guitar.And owns VHT / mesa / etc....

JJ
      Sovtek - all good.

remember...with a Mesa or GT logo, you are buying the same tube made at th same factories as Sovtek, etc......but paying extra $ for the fancy logo.

Comment

I've been liking Penta Labs KT88SC
        AMPS
        Peters Hydra
        Peters Chimera
        Peavey 5150 -FJA Modified-
        Peavey VTM120
        CABS
        2-Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412A(G12K-100XHellatone 60L)
        2-Peavey 5150 Cabs(G12T-100)
        Peavey 5150 Cab (WGS Veteran 30)
        GUITARS
        ESP Horizon NT-II (Neck:Painkiller/Bridge:Painkiller)
        Gibson Les Paul Studio (Neck: D-Activator/Bridge: D-Activator)
        Ltd EC-1000 (Neck:Evolution/Bridge:EVO2)
        Great Transactions w/:sdresdre,lumpy555,angelhair0,boleiro,Dark Aegis, ErikHoppy,hemiram2006,Rhammer19,mincy

Comment

I've been liking Penta Labs KT88SC

+1
          JEMMY PAEG BAST GETAR EVR!!

ESP LTD Alexi Laiho 600 Blacky w/ BKP Warpig -
          JACKSON RR24M w/ EM 81
          Baron Custom K2 SE
          EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker - $50 shipped
          MXR 10-Band EQ -
          MILLS Acoustics 4x12 Afterburner Straight Cab

Good deals with: Wassupg, CarpeDiem, leod_74, zimbloth (from sevenstring), Morgray, Guiary, MRAAJR, rockridge98 (Rigtalk), PaulyPanacea(Rigtalk), The Fantod

Comment

I prefered the JJ's and Ruby's to the Penta's. I want to try the SED's now.
            Needs Tubes or strings: www.valvequeen.com
            Authorized dealer of SED, GOLD LION, RUBY, TUNG SOL, JJ, SOVTEK, SVETLANA, DR, SIT...My band: www.foolscrown.com
            Youtube: www.youtube.com/FCGUITARFacebook: www.facebook.com/valvequeen Tube questions: info at valvequeen dot com

Comment

I want to try the SED's now.

you wont go back.... I love the SEDs, thats what I currently have in my Titan and they are AWESOME!

Comment

you wont go back.... I love the SEDs, thats what I currently have in my Titan and they are AWESOME!

Do you have SED 6550's or KT88's? I have tried SED 6550's and I dug those.
                Needs Tubes or strings: www.valvequeen.com
                Authorized dealer of SED, GOLD LION, RUBY, TUNG SOL, JJ, SOVTEK, SVETLANA, DR, SIT...My band: www.foolscrown.com
                Youtube: www.youtube.com/FCGUITARFacebook: www.facebook.com/valvequeen Tube questions: info at valvequeen dot com

Comment

KT88s - FTW!

Comment

Whichever those ones are that cost 1500 for the quad - those are clearly teh best
                    Guitars: Washburn WG-587 | Roter | Fernandes | Tokai
                    Rig: Fractal Audio Axe-FX Ultra -> ART SLA-2

Bands: Solecism (prog death) | Kisama (black) | Kuroi (brutal) | Embalm (death metal)
                    Clips/songs (many styles): soundclick|netmusicians
                    Vids: youtube

( ─━─ ω ─━─  )

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, but where do you get your tubes from? Online stores or local shops?

Comment

dougstubes.com. Tell him what tonal qualities you're going for, and he'll point you in the right direction. Stand up dude.
                        Originally Posted by katillac

The only reason you haven't yet been banned and this thread locked is because we love to give people enough rope to hang themselves. Consider that to be the only time you'll ever be referred to as well hung.

Gear:

Biased Peavey 5150
                        Marshall 1960BV
                        Marshall 1960A
                        LTD EC-1000VB(EMG 81/60)
                        Late 80s Jackson Dinky Professional(EMG 85/SA/SA)
                        06 Jackson DK2 (sold recently )
                        Peavey 50/50 & Blackface Rocktron Chameleon

Smooth Deals: ChrisJD

5150 Crew

Comment

I'm looking to order some of these online because nobody around me seems to carry any stock. That opens it up to just about any brand. I'm looking for reliability and, of course, tone. Suggest me a tube variety and possibly an online store you've used and recieved good service from. Pretty please.

-Jeff

totally having a positive experience with my Sovtek KT88's. They were supposed to be "platinum" matched, but are not. They are matched ok, but still sound ****************ing huge yet tight. If all KT88's are this good or better, then they are in my opinion the finest pickups made for guitar amps. I still have to try 6550's though, so who knows...

Anyone like 6550's better than KT88's? And what do you think that they would do differently in an amp like the Cobra with lots of midz and gangs of low end?

Comment

totally having a positive experience with my Sovtek KT88's. They were supposed to be "platinum" matched, but are not. They are matched ok, but still sound ****************ing huge yet tight. If all KT88's are this good or better, then they are in my opinion the finest pickups made for guitar amps. I still have to try 6550's though, so who knows...

Anyone like 6550's better than KT88's? And what do you think that they would do differently in an amp like the Cobra with lots of midz and gangs of low end?

WAT
                            Originally Posted by katillac

The only reason you haven't yet been banned and this thread locked is because we love to give people enough rope to hang themselves. Consider that to be the only time you'll ever be referred to as well hung.

Gear:

Biased Peavey 5150
                            Marshall 1960BV
                            Marshall 1960A
                            LTD EC-1000VB(EMG 81/60)
                            Late 80s Jackson Dinky Professional(EMG 85/SA/SA)
                            06 Jackson DK2 (sold recently )
                            Peavey 50/50 & Blackface Rocktron Chameleon

Smooth Deals: ChrisJD

5150 Crew

Comment

dougstubes.com. Tell him what tonal qualities you're going for, and he'll point you in the right direction. Stand up dude.

He has the Penta's, but not the SEDs. I'm wondering which to get. I like a really aggressive and ****************ing tight tone on the lows and smooth on the highs. I like lots of mids too. I know Guiary has killer tone, but I'm not really going for a rock-type tone. I'm going for a thrashy, yet melodic type tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X