Tone Tubby speakers

sabriel9v

• Members

One thing I do know, alnico magnet speakers sound muddy to me when they get in wattage ratings above 15 watts.

I know a lot of people worship alnico magnets on here, and I do prefer them in pickups....but I'm not a fan of alnico speakers in the larger size, higher wattage speakers. Inefficient and muddy.

Sure in a 8 or 10 inch Champ they sound great because those amps need that bottom end. Brightness and clarity is less an issue. An I can even make the argument for them in a Super Reverb with four 10" speakers because each one is only working 10 watts max. But in a 22 watt Deluxe or something like that...I'd rather have a Jensen C12N or something like that than and alnico magnet speaker.

• Members

I am curious how the alnico Celestion Golds and Tone Tubby alnicos sound as well, as I have a Diezel 30 watt Schmidt coming in for Christmas and am going to put at least one Tone Tubby ceramic in it, but I am debating on whether to put a second one in the cab or an ainico...either the Tone Tubby or the Celestion Gold.

• Members

One thing I do know, alnico magnet speakers sound muddy to me when they get in wattage ratings above 15 watts.

I know a lot of people worship alnico magnets on here, and I do prefer them in pickups....but I'm not a fan of alnico speakers in the larger size, higher wattage speakers. Inefficient and muddy.

Sure in a 8 or 10 inch Champ they sound great because those amps need that bottom end. Brightness and clarity is less an issue. An I can even make the argument for them in a Super Reverb with four 10" speakers because each one is only working 10 watts max. But in a 22 watt Deluxe or something like that...I'd rather have a Jensen C12N or something like that than and alnico magnet speaker.

I heard a Tone Tubby alnico in a Peavey Classic 30 and it definitely upgraded the amp. The amp was much louder, but the cleans were slightly muffled and had a darker quality to them.

• Members

Not quite a TT, but I have a cannabis rex (hemp cone, made AFAIK by TT for eminence, ceramic magnet). It really helped smooth out a bright amp (had to run full bass, treble on 3 out of 10 with a G12H) but I can see it would make a dark amp dull, and might require the treble boosting. Yes, it's an efficient speaker, but not a lot more than the G12H that was in there before it.

Chris - re your comment about the gold, it's not like a pumped up Blue, but has a smoother, darker thing going on, though not as dark as the CR I described above. It doesn't do the raspy overdrive goodness of the blue, even when pushed a little, which is why I sold it.

Archived