Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tone Tubby speakers

I've been looking at the Tone Tubby ceramics and they are loud as hell! Does the alnico version have the same sensitivity rating?
    Shot From Guns
    www.shotfromguns.wordpress.com - New updates!

The Artful Dodger -
    www.soundclick.com/theartfuldodger

"Business acumen, institution building, and shrewd political maneuvering are the only way to protect conscious artistry."

"The more fragile harmonics can survive in a vacuum tube, where they seem to be eliminated or squashed in the solid state crystal lattice. Maybe it just comes down to that." - the wise Alexander Dumble

bizzump
    Shot From Guns

The Artful Dodger -

"Business acumen, institution building, and shrewd political maneuvering are the only way to protect conscious artistry."

"The more fragile harmonics can survive in a vacuum tube, where they seem to be eliminated or squashed in the solid state crystal lattice. Maybe it just comes down to that." - the wise Alexander Dumble

Comment

One thing I do know, alnico magnet speakers sound muddy to me when they get in wattage ratings above 15 watts.

I know a lot of people worship alnico magnets on here, and I do prefer them in pickups....but I'm not a fan of alnico speakers in the larger size, higher wattage speakers. Inefficient and muddy.

Sure in a 8 or 10 inch Champ they sound great because those amps need that bottom end. Brightness and clarity is less an issue. An I can even make the argument for them in a Super Reverb with four 10" speakers because each one is only working 10 watts max. But in a 22 watt Deluxe or something like that...I'd rather have a Jensen C12N or something like that than and alnico magnet speaker.
      "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

I am curious how the alnico Celestion Golds and Tone Tubby alnicos sound as well, as I have a Diezel 30 watt Schmidt coming in for Christmas and am going to put at least one Tone Tubby ceramic in it, but I am debating on whether to put a second one in the cab or an ainico...either the Tone Tubby or the Celestion Gold.
        Two of the nicest gentlemen, and most talented people: Mssr's Diezel and Krampe.
        Je préfèrerais mourir sans un sou dans une rue en Europe que de vivre en Amérique sous l'administration actuelle. Alizée est la meilleure. Vous, les princesses pop américaines, n'avez aucun talent, aucune classe, et vous sonnez comme de la merde. Sarkozy et le reste de l'Europe se moquent de notre président dans son dos.

Comment

One thing I do know, alnico magnet speakers sound muddy to me when they get in wattage ratings above 15 watts.

I know a lot of people worship alnico magnets on here, and I do prefer them in pickups....but I'm not a fan of alnico speakers in the larger size, higher wattage speakers. Inefficient and muddy.

Sure in a 8 or 10 inch Champ they sound great because those amps need that bottom end. Brightness and clarity is less an issue. An I can even make the argument for them in a Super Reverb with four 10" speakers because each one is only working 10 watts max. But in a 22 watt Deluxe or something like that...I'd rather have a Jensen C12N or something like that than and alnico magnet speaker.

I heard a Tone Tubby alnico in a Peavey Classic 30 and it definitely upgraded the amp. The amp was much louder, but the cleans were slightly muffled and had a darker quality to them.
          Shot From Guns

The Artful Dodger -

Comment

Not quite a TT, but I have a cannabis rex (hemp cone, made AFAIK by TT for eminence, ceramic magnet). It really helped smooth out a bright amp (had to run full bass, treble on 3 out of 10 with a G12H) but I can see it would make a dark amp dull, and might require the treble boosting. Yes, it's an efficient speaker, but not a lot more than the G12H that was in there before it.

Chris - re your comment about the gold, it's not like a pumped up Blue, but has a smoother, darker thing going on, though not as dark as the CR I described above. It doesn't do the raspy overdrive goodness of the blue, even when pushed a little, which is why I sold it.
            http://tertl.blogspot.com - The Blog of the Ancient Mariner

Grumpy old man from the Yew Kay.

WTB Emi Ramrod

Dirty 30 AC30 Crew

Good deals with Darxcide, MetalheadUK, Farmer Geddon, Lanefair, Chris006, ChrisB, Zoidberg, Uncle Psychosis, Krashpad, Loobs, stevemcb, Prauny, Benecol, Muttz, axis player, Ratae Coritanorum.

Comment

Working...
            X