OT: how many cabs till permacab?

Curtis.Fagan

• Members

I have Marshalls, Carvin, Mesa, Fender and Avatar cabs.. my go-to is my Marshall 2-12 and the Avatar. The Mesa is a messy {censored}ball... the Fender is just too heavy for gigging. My Carvin 4/12 used to be my main touring cab (cheap, indestructible and took the "woofinees" out the Mesa/Diezel rig I was using at the time..plus it had that fuzzy grey carpet..lol).

Does anyone else feel that Mesa cabs have this weird low/mid compressed womp to them? I've never been able to get them to cut through onstage or for studio. Just dont like the tone I guess, at least to my ears. Ive tried tons of heads and different tones/setups, and still the same result..just blah.

• Members

I have Marshalls, Carvin, Mesa, Fender and Avatar cabs.. my go-to is my Marshall 2-12 and the Avatar. The Mesa is a messy {censored}ball... the Fender is just too heavy for gigging. My Carvin used to be my main touring cab (cheap, indestructible and took the "woofinees" out the Mesa/Diezel rig I was using at the time).

Does anyone else feel that Mesa cabs have this weird low/mid compressed womp to them? I've never been able to get them to cut through onstage or for studio. Just dont like the tone I guess, at least to my ears. Ive tried tons of heads and different tones/setups, and still the same result..just blah.

Mine has no trouble cutting. :idk:

• Members

There's only one cab that has stayed here while others have come and gone. My Mojo 4x12 is the best cab for me. I think that the Emperor 6x12 is probably staying too, but that's just because I doubt that I could ship it to anyone. :poke:

You really like the Mojo cab? You play it with a Recto right? Did you have any problems you had to address before it started to deliver? Do you find it woofy in the low end and loose sounding?

• Members

Hey Curtis, you saw my thread about AB Custom Audio still being around, right?

Yes, questionable. They disappeared for a year basically. Not so cool man, kinda worrisome... I had put in an order for a new cab and a possible road case and to no avail, they just dicked off, stopped responding and disappeared... the phone number isn't even the right one to get ahold of them. Lame man... lame.

-Curtis

• Members

I still have my third 4x12. I had a pair of Crates that I couldn't get rid of fast enough, then I got a straight-front 400w Carvin 4x12 and I haven't really found anything that sounds undeniably better. There are plenty of cabs that sound different, sure, but the Carvin sounds good enough that I don't really feel the need to drop $1700 on a Diezel cab.

• Members

You really like the Mojo cab? You play it with a Recto right? Did you have any problems you had to address before it started to deliver? Do you find it woofy in the low end and loose sounding?

I've played it with all kinds of amps, Rockerverb 100 and Rocker 30, JCM 800, Shiva, XTC Classic, VTM 120, Deliverance 120, Roccaforte Custom 80, Budda SD80 and so on into whoreland. I mostly have used a Dual and Triple Rec with it. I have had no problems with it, ever. It was never woofy in the low end. I like a cab that fills the room. I like this one better with an Orange Rockerverb 100 than an Orange 4x12.

• Members

I've got 6 cabs. There are 2 I don't think I'd ever get rid of and another I just got that'll probably be the same. They are a Soldano Straight 412 with front loaded V30's that is just ridiculously balanced for a V30 cab. Got it dirt cheap too. My Marshall 2061cx cab sold me on the vertical 212 format. Great for more vintage tones with it's G12H30's. Just got a Recto Vertical 212 to go with my Stiletto. I may see about trading this for a Recto 412 as it's almost as big and heavy as one. I was hoping it would be closer to size/weight of the 2061cx. My other cabs are a G-Flex 212 which sounds killer. I just don't like that I can't hear it directly without stacking it on something. I also have a Johnson J412V that goes with the JM250. It's like my Soldano cab, but doesn't sound near as good. And then a Yamaha 412 with G12T75's that came with my T100. I sounds okay I just don't like the extended top end it has. Def not a bad cab, just not my tastes.

• Members

Seriously, how many cabs have some of you gone through till you found the go to cab. Even if you sold it, you keep buying that model again and again??

-Curtis

Meh...a few. Until I got the Mesa Traditional 4x12...then no looking back.

I don't really think there is a 'one cab above all others'...you sorta have to match them to the amp I think. The perfect cab for one amp might not be the perfect cab for another.

You probably already know that though.

SOMMS

• Members

I don't really think there is a 'one cab above all others'...you sorta have to match them to the amp I think. The perfect cab for one amp might not be the perfect cab for another.

True story. The 5150 cabs tend to sound like {censored}, and I'm glad that I got rid of mine, but it sounded amazing with my Classic 50. I haven't heard another cab sound as good with that amp as the 5150 cab.

Archived