No announcement yet.

OT: how many cabs till permacab?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine has no trouble cutting.

I love my Rectoverb Head. I like the Mesa's as combos. But cant stand their cabs on their own. Actually, let me clarify, I dont like the Recto series cabs on their own. Just cant find my sound in them.
    Originally Posted by primeholy

Nothing can get between kirk and his wah.

Comment

Hey Curtis, you saw my thread about AB Custom Audio still being around, right?

Yes, questionable. They disappeared for a year basically. Not so cool man, kinda worrisome... I had put in an order for a new cab and a possible road case and to no avail, they just dicked off, stopped responding and disappeared... the phone number isn't even the right one to get ahold of them. Lame man... lame.

-Curtis
      FS:

Peters Custom Hydra Pre and 100 Watt Peters Custom Slave Power Amp in a 12 Space rack. Buyer pays actual shipping. $2250 firm, but will bend a little for distance shipping.

I also sell Nutrilite Sports Nutrition and Vitamin Supplementation ideal for athletes and body builders, PM me to know more

Comment

I still have my third 4x12. I had a pair of Crates that I couldn't get rid of fast enough, then I got a straight-front 400w Carvin 4x12 and I haven't really found anything that sounds undeniably better. There are plenty of cabs that sound different, sure, but the Carvin sounds good enough that I don't really feel the need to drop $1700 on a Diezel cab.
        Good Transactions - Peavey VTM Mods Lounge
        The Legacy Of...

Comment

You really like the Mojo cab? You play it with a Recto right? Did you have any problems you had to address before it started to deliver? Do you find it woofy in the low end and loose sounding?

I've played it with all kinds of amps, Rockerverb 100 and Rocker 30, JCM 800, Shiva, XTC Classic, VTM 120, Deliverance 120, Roccaforte Custom 80, Budda SD80 and so on into whoreland. I mostly have used a Dual and Triple Rec with it. I have had no problems with it, ever. It was never woofy in the low end. I like a cab that fills the room. I like this one better with an Orange Rockerverb 100 than an Orange 4x12.

Comment

5 4x12s each loaded with different speakers as amps like different speakers and also styles of music.

Still need some more vintage marshalls with 55hz blackbacks.
            Scott

To speak with,

Peter Diezel
            Jorg Bogner amps
            John Suhr
            Dave Friedman Racksystems LTD
            Bruce Egnater
            Gutierrez Guitars
            Ed Degenaro THD Amps
            Trace VooDoo Amps
            Mike Fortin from Fortin Amps

Go to www.rig-talk.com

Never heard you play.....don't care about your review.

Originally posted by Ed DeGenaro

But the bottomline is the same, crap player and 5000$ amp is no different than an ugly chick spending a ton on make-up. It ain't going to be pretty.

Comment

I've got 6 cabs. There are 2 I don't think I'd ever get rid of and another I just got that'll probably be the same. They are a Soldano Straight 412 with front loaded V30's that is just ridiculously balanced for a V30 cab. Got it dirt cheap too. My Marshall 2061cx cab sold me on the vertical 212 format. Great for more vintage tones with it's G12H30's. Just got a Recto Vertical 212 to go with my Stiletto. I may see about trading this for a Recto 412 as it's almost as big and heavy as one. I was hoping it would be closer to size/weight of the 2061cx. My other cabs are a G-Flex 212 which sounds killer. I just don't like that I can't hear it directly without stacking it on something. I also have a Johnson J412V that goes with the JM250. It's like my Soldano cab, but doesn't sound near as good. And then a Yamaha 412 with G12T75's that came with my T100. I sounds okay I just don't like the extended top end it has. Def not a bad cab, just not my tastes.
              ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Antelope Zen Tour, Dell Precision 7510 (w/i7-6920HQ, 16GB, 512GB NVMe SSD, 960GB SSD recording drive) Harrison Mixbus 3, StudioOne Pro, Pro Tools 12, and Reaper. Belmont Bigsby, Godin LGSP-90 (NAMM ed.), Godin LGX-SA into an 11 Rack controlled by a FCB1010 with an Eureka Prom. A bunch of other stuff lying around.

Did I mention that Harrison Mixbus 3 is out? If not check it out. It Is AWESOME!!!

Comment

Seriously, how many cabs have some of you gone through till you found the go to cab. Even if you sold it, you keep buying that model again and again??

-Curtis

Meh...a few. Until I got the Mesa Traditional 4x12...then no looking back.

I don't really think there is a 'one cab above all others'...you sorta have to match them to the amp I think. The perfect cab for one amp might not be the perfect cab for another.

You probably already know that though.

SOMMS

Comment

I don't really think there is a 'one cab above all others'...you sorta have to match them to the amp I think. The perfect cab for one amp might not be the perfect cab for another.

True story. The 5150 cabs tend to sound like ****************, and I'm glad that I got rid of mine, but it sounded amazing with my Classic 50. I haven't heard another cab sound as good with that amp as the 5150 cab.
                  Good Transactions - Peavey VTM Mods Lounge
                  The Legacy Of...

Comment

i have 4 cabs. i like them all. they all sound different and work good for different situations

Comment

I still have all the amps I've ever bought, besides my Frontman 15. I like my cabs for different things. They're wonderful and do different things better.

Comment

I have had a couple cabs...

Mesa Boogie Vertical 2x12
                        Peavey 6505 cabinet
                        Marshall 1960A cabinet
                        Lopoline 1x12 cabinet

my fav so far actually was the marshall...

Comment

I have a couple of Marshall's. Cabs are as important as your amp without a doubt.

I've had

5150- Well built, sounded terrible with any amp.
                          *Fender (DT412?) with the fender speakers- sounded like ****************.
                          *Randall XL w/V30's- best built cab and best sounding cab I had ever owned.
                          I miss it
                          *Laney 412- Sounded ok, definetly not a go to cab. Very old!
                          *Peavey XXX- I could not sell that cab fast enough!!

I seem to have cab gas all the time

I have a couple of Marshall's now that are OK. Not great, but good for sure.
                          I played through a Splawn...my god ..amazing cabs!
                          *********PROUD MEMBER OF THE GIBSON MAFIA***********
                          Good Deals with: Box handler,the4thlast1,meowy,
                          61reissue,Yavin,tspit74,musiclikscreams,Dega500,
                          Powerglide350, Dark Sound,ambitot pu phan, DJFrank(x2),Salameri544,CRANK,BloodBros,ChuckMehh, Devnulljp,Dark Aegis,TheIgnoramus

*A couple of Gibson's, a cord, some dunlop picks and some cornbread...
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/DR440

Comment

this was a parody
                            Original Owner Items Inc.
                            Your #1 supplier of all things xEDGEx, br00tal, and originally owned maplifiers since 1981
                            VP of Back Alley Negotiations (Pimping)

Originally Posted by MONGO!

Black history for 1st graders

Originally Posted by nodachi

despite being horrendously biased, you are absolutely correct. NICEPWNT.

Originally Posted by King Loudness

Nicepwnt, not so nicely, I might add.

Good Deals with: Dimebag11, kdp86, LordOVchaos, K-Bizzle

Comment

this was a parody

Yea, but it turned into an intresting thread
                              *********PROUD MEMBER OF THE GIBSON MAFIA***********
                              Good Deals with: Box handler,the4thlast1,meowy,
                              61reissue,Yavin,tspit74,musiclikscreams,Dega500,
                              Powerglide350, Dark Sound,ambitot pu phan, DJFrank(x2),Salameri544,CRANK,BloodBros,ChuckMehh, Devnulljp,Dark Aegis,TheIgnoramus

*A couple of Gibson's, a cord, some dunlop picks and some cornbread...
                              http://www.youtube.com/user/DR440

Comment

I think this is pretty accurate.

4x12s:

Create BV- actually a great, well built cab, hated the V30s in there though
                                Peavey 5150 (worst speakers)
                                1976 Marshall- 55hz blackbacks, )my favorite until the Verellen)
                                Marshall 1960- (traded for my Hiwatt 4x12)
                                Hiwat- no name speakers, sold to the other guitar player
                                Matamp - Governors/Wizards
                                Verellen- WGS ET65s, my favorite cab

I still have 3 of them, but the Matamp has a deal pending on it.

I also have a few 2x12s, the old Ampeg being my favorite of the bunch.
                                There is no order in the world, save what death has put there.

Billows
                                Fender::Matamp::Acoustic

Comment

Working...
                                X